advice on EDC slip-joint folder?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

Mentalpatient

Hi there.
I have a sub 3" folding knife at the moment, but it has a proper locking mechanism and so I only carry it outside the garden when I know I will need a knife (eg removing washing machines - to cut open packaging etc.)

however I now want a non locking knife for general use...
and it has to be EDC (Every Day Carry - for uk law)

do slip-joint folders count as locking?
and are there any Swiss Army Knives that have a slip-joint?

any help is appreciated

Will

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Slip joint means that you do not have to disengage a mechanism to fold the blade away, just the pressure against the spine of the blade. Your average SAK is a slip joint.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Has to be the Spyderco UKPK for me, light unobtrusive and brilliant.

GM6I4494%20(Medium).JPG

A cheaper and lighter FRN version should be available from Heinnies in the next couple of weeks too.

M

Mentalpatient

thanks for the help everyone

I will take a look at all your suggestions!
Will

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Depends on what you're really asking...

If you want something stylish/expensive, that's a joy to behold and use and to which you can get thoroughly attached then definitely look at the suggestions above.

However, if you just want a 'beater' which, should it be confiscated/lost/broken etc. will neither dent the bank balance nor hurt your feelings then this just cannot be beaten ;)

Cheers,

No competition - CRKT Edgie.

- UK Legal EDC
- One hand opening
- Belt clip
- Sheepsfoot blade - safe & non threatening to non-knife types
- Very Cheap (can afford to lose it without getting too upset)
- Takes a good edge
- Solid, tough and well weighted
- Good grip / non-slip

'nuff said.

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
I edc a Victorinox Soldier, I think its a great non threatening folder and the can opener, bottle opener, reamer etc are pretty useful. If you have the cash the UKPK is great and you can get it in a sheeple-friendly orange G10 or a nice foilage G10 - I dunno what it is but the orange is really nice, mmm orange G10 and S30v blade.. nice

Jun 16, 2010
Dartmoor
I EDC the spyderco bug. Possibley (sp?) the most EDC friendly knife ever (the blade is only just over 3 cms). But its not that practical if you need to put some leverage behind the blade.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Trevor Ablett - simply the finest EDC pocket knife available for under £40

And for me. Bought one yesterday after visiting his workshop. Trevor wasn't there as taking a rare break, but Reg cooper was and I had a good chat with him, very nice chap. I nipped round to the millennium gallery and picked up one of Trevors for £24. Stunning handmade knife for EDC.

000_0287.jpg

000_0285.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE