Advice Needed for 3 Nights in the Cairngorms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A lot of the estates in the 'Gorms ask you not to light fires, you might get some unwanted visitors if you have a wood stove running in some areas. I get up there every winter for a week (it's not quite cold enough yet :)) but we hammock camp and use multi fuel stoves rather than light fires. There are plenty of places you can get tucked away but it wouldn't be my first choice for a hot tent trip.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I didn't see anyone asking about forest_girl's experience and skill level which makes all the advice unsolicited, rude and presumptive. Are any of us more experienced than she? Perhaps we should be asking for advice sometimes instead of spewing it out so readily. I saw no indication that she was wandering off into the woods ill prepared or equipped.

Of course there are dangers... any sane person would do a risk assessment, figure out where the dangers were and try to limit them, let someone know your plans and expected route and time of return and make sure adequate provisions are taken and equipment and any insane person will ignore every bit of advice anyway.

I don't know how much experience you have, if you have first hand knowledge of the conditions and terrain in the area and I wouldn't teach you to suck eggs because it's rude, you don't know if I do either and that's fine but the dolling out of advice with the assumption that the recipient needs or wants it is pretty much just spam as far as I'm concerned.

I completely agree and can't help feeling that the tone of some of the well meaning advice offered might have been different if the OP had a user name like "forest_bloke"!

FWIW, the OP was simply asking for specific advice on discrete camping spots in the forests at the foot of the plateau (which from a quick squint at the maps are <1000' and fairly close to roads and dwellings) rather than generic advice on winter mountaineering on the Cairngorm plateau - which she specifically said she was avoiding.

I hope the OP has a great trip and doesn't let the responses to this thread put her off posting another trip report. :)

forest_girl

Forager
Nov 29, 2016
Edinburgh
What temperature does your paint freeze at?

Linseed oil freezes at around -20C so i'll be fine!

Thanks for everyones advice and tips, and for those sticking up for me in favour of the adventure.
The only thing putting me off taking others is that everyone I know who I could convince to come with me are much less experienced than me, and I would be willing to bet it would actually be less safe going in a group, since I would be spending most my time babysitting them.

There are definitely better places to hot tent but unfortunately none of them are as accessible by public transport than Edinburgh, except perhaps the forests around Loch Tummel.
I have done a bit of research into fires. It seems open fire in the forest are (quite sensibly) not allowed since it is peat soil, but things can get hazy when it is a raised contained fire, as mine will be. Obviously a plume of smokes the same either way though and will be checked out regardless. It seems Abernathy forest is slightly more accommodating than Glenmore though.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I didn't see anyone asking about forest_girl's experience and skill level which makes all the advice unsolicited, rude and presumptive. Are any of us more experienced than she? Perhaps we should be asking for advice sometimes instead of spewing it out so readily. I saw no indication that she was wandering off into the woods ill prepared or equipped.

Of course there are dangers... any sane person would do a risk assessment, figure out where the dangers were and try to limit them, let someone know your plans and expected route and time of return and make sure adequate provisions are taken and equipment and any insane person will ignore every bit of advice anyway.

I don't know how much experience you have, if you have first hand knowledge of the conditions and terrain in the area and I wouldn't teach you to suck eggs because it's rude, you don't know if I do either and that's fine but the dolling out of advice with the assumption that the recipient needs or wants it is pretty much just spam as far as I'm concerned.

Isn,t that advice you are giving, and who asked for it.?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Have a great time and post up a trip report - I like seeing what folks get up to as I'm too busy to go off enjoying myself :(. Just take care.

A genuine question.. Why is going in a group safer? Is it assuming that as there are more people someone is bound to know what they are doing? How is a group of 5 numpties any safer than a solo?

Most of my trips have been solo - I know my limits and try not to do anything too stupid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE