A weekend and a Day pt.II ~ Returning with an extra body.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Following on from ‘Weekend and a Day, I had the chance to visit the woodland again this weekend ~ So a big thank :thankyou::You_Rock_ you to our host and my thanks to both for putting up with my sense of humour :eek: .

Big personal improvement on my last visit ~ I had no need to make a trip out to collect a forgotten necessity! :eek::eek::eek: Hm,hmm :lmao:

I always like to go with a plan (doesn’t mean that I always manage to stick to it ) and this time was to test run a couple of items ~ a couple bought, some made. As with most things, it’s good to practice and get up to speed with kit before you actually need to rely on it ~ in my opinion test running kit and ideas is a good part of where attending the Meet occasional Meet comes into its own ;) .

The main thing I wanted to test was a free standing dual compartment mozzie net. This item is for those times when you want to wake up viewing some of the local wildlife ~ but without offering yourself up as an alfresco ‘All You Can Eat’ buffet for each and every flying nasty that happens to pass by.

‘The Hilton’

Easy enough to set up, which is always a good thing :approve: . The sleeping compartment is the width of a standard camp bed plus ‘a bit’. The vestibule isn’t quite as wide as the sleeping compartment, but it is wide enough for the chair in the pic.

The big black bag on the tree is my water ~ there’s no water source on site, so it all needs to be carried in. In cold weather it is an exceptionally good idea to make sure that you have enough liquid water for the first brew of the day :D . Modern flasks don’t just keep drinks warm ;) .

An end on view of ‘The Hilton’

I hadn’t expected the storage panels ~ but they certainly made life and storage easier :approve:. There’s four storage pouches in the sitting/working area and two in the sleeping area. The sleeping area also has a removable gear loft :D .

A closer pic …

Sorry for the poor pic .

Top left pouch: Kitchen towel ~ no where near an essential, but it does make life quicker and easier.
Top right pouch: Tea and sugar tin, washing up liquid (unused) and olive oil ~ which solidified as the temperature took ‘a significant dip’. And it was ‘quite nippy’ too :rofl: .
Bottom left pouch: Empty accessory bags ~ the protective container for my UCO micro* and brew kit bag.
Bottom right pouch: Empty. But you can see the put cosy that I trialled over the weekend (the mug to its left is on a boil in the bag cosy)

* The UCO Micro can be seen in the first pic ~ doesn’t quite match the colour of the advertising pics (?? purple vs lavender ??)

Barely visible in the sleeping area is a thermal reflective pad slung beneath the cot ~ as I wanted to see how effective it was as an insulating barrier I decided to make use of a three season sleeping bag ~ Have I mentioned that the temperature took a bit of a nose dive? In all honesty I’m not sold on how effective it was :dunno: . I’ll give it another couple of runs before I make a decision ~ it’s roughly the same volume as my old ThermaRest and if the new doesn’t give an improved performance over the old there no point making the swap. The good news is that the reflective mat is eminently reuseable for other applications :approve:

The new but old but newly insulated chair …

This was a Christmas present from my In-Laws ~ a Land Rover Chair :approve: . Having seen Elines’s method of adding insulation to his chair at a multitude of Meets I thought that I’d do something similar to mine, with a bit of a spin of my own :D …

This worked quite well and, as there’s space between the reflective material and the chair, extra insulation could be applied if wanted/needed J .

Unfortunately I tend to not walk round with a camera ~ so once again, views of the site are limited to the background of the above pics .

The next couple were taken by myself, but aren’t from this weekend …

Chris, holes like this?

It’s surprisingly difficult for most of us to accurately describe a hole ~ Chris mentioned having seen a hole (?? or a couple ??) on a river bank and I thought ‘That rings a bell …’, hence the pic to ask if it's similar.

A cousin of this little chap paid us a visit …

The pic is of a male Greater Spotted Wood Pecker ~ our visitor was a Lesser Spotted. It had perched up in the trees above our communal area, we heard the call, but it made no taps. Not wanting to disturb it, we had the devil’s own job of locating it and, as it had been on the opposite side of the tree to us, we completely failed to see it. Then it took flight :D. Our second set of good fortune was that it has stayed above us long enough for me to get my binos out of my bag :cool: . The third good fortune was that it flew to a tree I could see and landed in such a way as to make ID possible :D . Woodpecker heads are pretty distinctive ~ and the Lesser Spotted doesn’t wear embarrassed underwear .

Although we did have an impromptu wander round the site I didn't take my camera :rolleyes: :sad6: ~ no doubt I''ll be back and I'll endeavour to do less kit pics and show more wildlife :angel: .

Again, thank you to our host for the opportunity to spend quality time in a really good environment and thanks to both of my weekend’s companions for their good company, good humour and their enthusiasm ~ a weekend is never enough and just as you're zoning in, it's time to leave :( .

Thank you for taking the time to read through.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice post mate, I love that bug tent, it won't be long before it's getting tested. Is it one you've made or bought?

That reflectix will work much better on the facing side against you, you can get away with thin nylon but anything thicker and I've found it doesn't work so well.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Nice post mate, I love that bug tent, it won't be long before it's getting tested. Is it one you've made or bought?

Thank you :). Another benefit of Meets :rofl: . You see kit and think 'brilliant idea!' and then, thinking it will be easy to source, you forget to ask where to get one :eek: . It was (eventually) bought from one of the RC regulars who had one going spare :D . It's a surplus item and its NSN is J11/7210-99-346-9710.
And yes, it does look like it might be an insect heavy year doesn't it :censored: ~ although it's in no way light weight, it could prove to have been a good buy.

That reflectix will work much better on the facing side against you, you can get away with thin nylon but anything thicker and I've found it doesn't work so well.

I ran out of time to make the under cot insulation a snugger fit :eek: . I'll adapt it and get it to a better fit for the RC Meet at the end of the month ;) . I decided against going for fitting on top as I'm a fidgety sleeper and the quantity and quality of straps needed to keep it in place might possibly over complicate the issue :dunno: .

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nice one Phil. I have the same domed Mossie net system.

My original one plus blast bricks; was a home from home for 10 months in Iraq:
:lmao::lmao:

dsc01246se.jpg

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Nice one Phil. I have the same domed Mossie net system.

:lmao: It was seeing yours at RC that started my search :lmao: . Although it felt quite spacious over a weekend, I'm not too sure about how I'd feel about it after TEN months :yikes: .

I have to admit that when I read 'blast bricks' I got an instant translation in my head of you saying 'Wall, For the use of' :eek: :cool:

images
I'll have to pick your brains at some point to make sure I get the most out of it
images

Oh yes, and having that end door doesn't half make life easier :approve: :eek: :rofl: .

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks like a great weekend Phil... damn annoying the wife had other ideas for me or I would have been there :rolleyes:

I do like the bug net setup, might have to look into procuring one :)

The big black bag on the tree is my water ~ there’s no water source on site, so it all needs to be carried in. In cold weather it is an exceptionally good idea to make sure that you have enough liquid water for the first brew of the day :D . Modern flasks don’t just keep drinks warm ;) .

That's where keeping a large bottle of water in your cool box comes in handy... added bonus in this weather is any frozen/cool stuff is ok to be left out :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Real life does have a way of poking in at inoportune moments :eek: ~ good weekend, even with a stinky badger!

It'll probably put in an appearance at the end of the month :cool: and, if it does, you'll be able to have a prod and a poke at it then :D .

Although I've had the cot with me each time I've pretty much stripped the kit back for both weekends. Don't get me wrong, plenty of luxuries but, due to being in the cooler months, no cool box in attendance; primaily because it would have only contained a pack of sausages and a pack of burgers and I just couldn't be 'bothered' to lug it back and forth for that :eek: :lmao: .

udamiano

On a new journey
damn annoying the wife had other ideas for me or I would have been there

There will always be another weekend mate.

I must admit I do also like that bug dome setup, if anyone does know a place that we can get them from, please feel free to post.

The mercury dipped at -4 on the Friday night, and -6 on the Saturday according to the met office at Birmingham Intl. So quite nippy in the morning!

The trick with the water bags is remembering to hang them upside down so the valves don't freeze :banghead: a lesson learnt only on the second night.

cracking weekend with some great company

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... if anyone does know a place that we can get them from, please feel free to post...

The only easy source I've been able to locate is Denbigh Army Surplus (No connections) ~ unfortunately the mesh on theirs would seem to be white :(

... The mercury dipped at -4 on the Friday night, and -6 on the Saturday according to the met office at Birmingham Intl. So quite nippy in the morning!

Thought the brass monkeys looked a bit worried :lmao:

... The trick with the water bags is remembering to hang them upside down so the valves don't freeze :banghead: a lesson learnt only on the second night.

Ho, Yuss!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
As the 'extra body' I'd like to would add a few comments.

Sorry no pics - I did take my camera but forgot about it - I probably couldn't have taken any pictures anyway because when I just got it out it was all fogged up and has taken about 30 mins to warm up and clear. In any event I guess you have all seen a camp bed under a tarp

Thanks again to our host - a brilliant site with lots of resources. As always I learned a lot as both were generous with their knowledge.

This was my first opportunity to test out my camp bed set up in sub-zero temperatures and this was:
  • a full US modular sleep system eg see
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...my-489904.html
  • that I used under a tarp
  • on a camp bed plus
  • exped 7 downmat
  • plus 2" memory foam mattress (I likes my comfort I does),
  • with a silk liner.
The first night (-4C?) I felt no cold from underneath but I woke up in the night with cold knees (!) - even though my feet and shoulders etc were ok, so I put a doubled up Endicott's Dutch army blanket over me and I was then ok.

The next night (-6C) I started off with the blanket and for some reason my feet couldn't get warm until earlyish the next morning. The only thing I can think of is that I took my socks off too early before they had warmed up properly.

I slept in 200gm Merino long sleeved/long legged base layer, and a fine wool knitted hat my wife made me. My head was covered up by the bivvy bag, but the cover was not fastened down. There was some condensation on the underside of the cover but this didn't cause me any problems

The cold knees/feet were all a bit disappointing as the system is supposed to be ok down to -40F (=-40C) and it was only -4/-6C.

But I survived! .

At one point - on getting out of the bag - I must admit to thinking 'Just what the ******* hell am I doing here. But about 30 minutes later sitting in front of a nice fire, supping a cup of tea, just looking at the trees, I knew.

My usual lack of organisation/discipline had an even more pronounced effect in the cold conditions so it prompted me to start a separate thread on camp setups

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84825

Other stuff:
  • I was able to take away an unused 'Swedish torch' - I don't have a chain saw so I look forward to giving it a go
  • The impromptu lesson on creating a winter shelter and bed was particulary helpful and interesting, as was
  • the unplanned discussion on choosing where to pitch up - made me realise that maybe I shouldn't have chosen the pitch under that tree that was leaning badly:eek:
  • having *oos in winter and in the dark were also (to me) important firsts!
Re the hole - yes it does look like that (and it is on the flat land about a yard above a small stream about a yard wide) possibly a bit bigger and there were several within a few feet of each other but that may be because I dumped grass cuttings on one hole and whatever it was had to creat a new entrance/exit.

So - all told - a great weekend and feel really good about it but it was nice to get back to a warm house with a lovely Sunday dinner waiting for me (and the possibilty of drinking one of my favourite beers without first having to put the mug on the fire to warm it up a bit!)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
This was my first opportunity to test out my camp bed set up in sub-zero temperatures and this was:
  • a full US modular sleep system eg see
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...my-489904.html
  • that I used under a tarp
  • on a camp bed plus
  • exped 7 downmat
  • plus 2" memory foam mattress (I likes my comfort I does),
  • with a silk liner.

Just a thought, but if you're taking all that lot then you've obviously got a car nearby. Why dont you just get a good carp fishermans setup? Something like the "Nash Frostbite Sub 20" system....

L_XOSC_6298.jpg

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just a thought, but if you're taking all that lot then you've obviously got a car nearby. Why dont you just get a good carp fishermans setup? Something like the "Nash Frostbite Sub 20" system....

L_XOSC_6298.jpg

You're right - I do have a car nearby - I am not a lightweight camper!

When I was looking for a combined bivvy/bag set up last year no-one mentionned this product. The site doesn't actually say if the top layer is waterproof ?do you know if it is?.

At the moment I am broadly happy with the US modular system and want to test it further in winter conditions as I am sure I can get it to be fully satisfactory for me. I couldn't justify £170 (ish) on a new set up, although it would have been a contender when I was looking last year if I had known about it

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You're right - I do have a car nearby - I am not a lightweight camper!

When I was looking for a combined bivvy/bag set up last year no-one mentionned this product.

I think the emphasis in bushcraft has always been backpack-able gear, but if you look around the threads, you'll quickly notice that the vast volumes of kit people seem to take, mean that the only role the backpack has, is to shift it from the car 300 yards away. This is not a criticism BTW, I'm exclusively a car-camper these days, though I drive a defender so there isn't many places I cant get to and I can carry a lot of kit. But my camp is usually as close to my Landy as is practical - right next to it if it works. When I realised this was how I liked to camp and made no pretence of backpacking, a lot of otherwise unsuitable kit became available. I dont know why more guys on here dont use fishing kit - possibly because it tends to be a bit pricey, but the kit itself is perfectly suited to the kind of camping a lot on here seem to go for. It can be heavy and bulky, but it is generally brilliant quality and uncompromising comfort. It is strictly car-camping though.

The site doesn't actually say if the top layer is waterproof ?do you know if it is?.

At the moment I am broadly happy with the US modular system and want to test it further in winter conditions as I am sure I can get it to be fully satisfactory for me. I couldn't justify £170 (ish) on a new set up, although it would have been a contender when I was looking last year if I had known about it
The actual bag is shower proof, though not full-on water proof. But there are a whole bunch of bed covers designed to go over them, some storm-proof, some quilted for even more warmth etc. Look around, there is some awesome outdoor kit in the carp fishing world. The chairs are also excellent, big mud feet, adjustable legs etc. Perfect for wild camping providing you are not too far from your vehicle.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Here's another example, this is the chair I use, a Chub Lo-Lite xtra....

lolitextra.jpg

The broad "mud" feet pivot to self-level, each on an adjustable, extendable leg so you can adjust for uneven, tilted ground, or just change the angle of the chair. The Chair has wooden arms so they are not cold to touch, padded seat and back for comfort and warmth and no cross-member under your thighs to dig in. It sits low which is perfect for campfire cooking, or just throwing another log onto the fire. It's a welded, tubular steel construction and is very strong (some of those carp fishermen are big lads). Folds flat obviously. Superb bit of kit.

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Martyn! will you stop finding things, that I suddenly want!!! are you in cohoots with my credit card company LOL
that chair look sooo comfy,hhmmm, maybe if I get one and call it an early birthday present :cool:

Awesome chair mate, it's one of those items that if I lost, I would replace instantly. The only hit I'll give it, is that while a bit showerproof and very breathable, the fabric isn't waterproof. I left it out uncovered one night and there was a big storm. It took about 4 hours the next day to dry out (I still used it, I just draped my poncho on it and sat on that). I should have stuck it under the tarp when I crashed out but I was a bit drunk. :D

lesson learned. :D

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE