A New Life

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I have got a job. (Still not sure what a job is, incidentally).

The Scottish Crannog Centre, I am going to be the Leatherworker in their new Iron Age village in the Spring.

So, I am getting ready and all that.

Firstly, I need to up my leatherwork game; they are happy but I am not.

Dad is pleased but wishes I could be a bit closer. (Cant be helped, you go where the job is).

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Well done! Congratulations on this success.

Would I be right to assume that you have to do Iron Age leather work, so no nice smooth steel needles, punches, blades or modern glues, threads and dyes? Seems like whatever one's leather working was like in a modern setting, one would need to practice quite a bit with Iron Age kit

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Congratulations Tengu!
Lucky you, a fabulous job. No 9-5 drudge, and great scenery and outdoors opportunities. Amazing. Well done. Jealous as anything!
Only job going round here is part time fryer at the chippie!
Good luck.(not that you need it, having fallen on your feet already)

Reactions: CrispyDuck

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Well, I have got a job. (Still not sure what a job is, incidentally).

The Scottish Crannog Centre, I am going to be the Leatherworker in their new Iron Age village in the Spring.

So, I am getting ready and all that.

Firstly, I need to up my leatherwork game; they are happy but I am not.

Dad is pleased but wishes I could be a bit closer. (Cant be helped, you go where the job is).
Congratulations! Sounds like a brilliant job for you. :)

Remember, you'll have plenty of opportunity to practise your skills on the job.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Congratulations from me too R, it’s been really good to hear of your studies and the results of them. Good effort, and I hope it is rewarding for you. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A job. My very first official.

Im so proud.

Currently arranging work days and I suspect now is the time to talk about WAGES.

But what should I expect?

Bear in mind this is a Heritage job and so not much.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well, there's three things here.
One, you want to work there, but you need paid.
Two, they want you to work there, but they're tight for cash.
Three, there's a minimum wage in the UK.

It's one of those places that unless you can add extra value, beyond your routine work on site, or you're in a supervisory role, that minimum wage is probably the best they can offer, especially if they're paying by the hour, not the annual (or proportion thereof) salary.
If they offer free accomodation too though, that's often of value beyond increasing your wages.
Would they also pay your fuel costs to come north and go home again ?

I think you might be best to compile a check list of things like those I've mentioned and do some sums.

See what they offer, and work out if it's tenable or not.

Managerial posts will always pay more,
but those aren't the reality of the wages paid to most who work in the sector. Most would love to be offered that kind of salary. The reality is that most who work in heritage do so on seasonal work patterns and on hourly rates. Or they come in to work events, and are paid per 'event'.

Figure out where you fit in, see if you can double up a bit on things, and go from there.

Very best of luck with it :) You have done so well to get to this. I genuinely hope it's both successful and satisfying work :)

M

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes me too, and I was well aware that this kind of work is notorious for being poorly paid.

But, everyone is so envious of me. (Including my tutors who have done no end of awe inspiring things).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE