£50 for a tablet computer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Never buy version 1 of anything, but still £50, not bad for those who want to read some books or make digital notes when out and about.

Amazon Fire

Not for me though, I'm a pen and paper man.

:)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I presumed you did, could be wrong though ( wouldn't be the first time !! :) )

"Prime members can stream thousands of Prime Instant Video titles, access over 800,000 book titles, thousands of audiobooks and over a million songs
Prime members can download thousands of Prime Instant Video movies and TV shows to watch offline anywhere"

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You don't need to have Prime. We have a Hudl and a Kindle Fire. The Fire is superior in many ways but tightly proprietary.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Oooo, that makes it very interesting indeed, I thought my Hudl was ok but if this is better and at that price, it could well be worth looking at. Cheers BR.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Your better paying more for a Hudl 2. The Fire is OK but your tied to Amazon for applications plus there is no expandable memory.

The Hudl is tied to Google but has way way more apps available and you can expand the memory via an micro SD slot...you can install the free Kindle reader too for your ebooks

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
All the Fire range have microSD slots. The Hudl2 is certainly a good buy, but more comparable to the Fire8 in price terms. With 2Gb of Ram and a 1.8Ghz processor its probably better in raw hardware terms. The basic fire is akin to a Hudl1 in specs, but at £50 new.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
But how much is Amazon Prime each month ?

£5.99 for prime instant video or £~70 for full prime and worth every penny. I order from Amazon quite a bit and the tv service is good, we keep a regular kindle in the bathroom for light reading while occupying my throne! Never used a fire but supposedly quite good

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No SD slot on the HD Fire that I could see

'Memory Card Slot

No

Allows certain items to be played from compatible memory card such as videos, music and photos

Number Of USB 2.0 Ports

Other Port Connections
Slimport

Allow you to use cables to connect to a range of devices'

Read more at http://www.tesco.com/direct/fire-hd-6-6-tablet-8gb-wifi-yellow-2014/660-9196.prd#vk3EUzt62py6HO5W.99

They may do on some models perhaps but I think the Amazon rational is they want you to store on 'the cloud'. I store on the cloud but also have back ups of the backups offline at home.

My lad won some Argos vouchers recently and picked up a Lenovo tablet, about ninety quid and thats pretty good, fact is all these tablets do a good job these days. I bought a budget tablet about three years ago for around £100 but there is no comparison to the tablets these days, in fact my two and a half year old grand daughter uses it to watch Pingu lol

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
  • Free unlimited cloud storage for all Amazon content and photos taken with Fire devices. Add a microSD card for up to 128GB of additional storage

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
  • Free unlimited cloud storage for all Amazon content and photos taken with Fire devices. Add a microSD card for up to 128GB of additional storage

That's the one Robbi. It's actually superior to the Hudl which can only handle cards up to 32Gb

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
The hudl2 is very good for the price in terms of display and speed, the only drawbacks are storage (16gb) and small sd card caopacity(32gb)

you can get a 7" samsung tab 3 for £60, so the fire tablet isnt very good
can be rooted easily.
and the otterbox case for it on amazon is reduced from £60 to £6 as its an older tablet.

and you can get a 10" asus transformer for £80 if you want larger screen, i use one as a monitoring system for my ip cameras.
again easy to root.

so i dont think the amazon deal is very good

and if anyone wants a large screen powerfull but cheap phone keep an eye on asus zenfones

for the lower end, vodafone smart phones can be got for £30 new on amazon, or £40 in vodafone store.
if you buy payg vodafone you get unlimited data access for 30 days
so if you just buy a sim every month, unlimited internet.
and for that price its cheaper to buy a phone than a mifi or dongle, and you have the phone features.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The point Richard is that accepting 128Gb is superior to accepting 32Gb:rolleyes:

The article you link to is not comparing the new £50 Fire but the old Fire HD7. Sure the Hudl2 has a higher spec, thats not a surprise, it costs twice as much as the Fire that is the point of this thread.

I'm not anti Hudl, as I said from the outset, I have one. But the 1Gb Ram old Fire that we have beats the 1Gb Hudl that we have in terms of performance and reliability. I still think that the new £50 tablet that should broadly equate to these in terms of performance is a bargain. It'll be fine for watching videos, surfing the web etc.

Whats not to like? If thats all someone wants to do,why pay more?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Last Christmas I got an OTPC for my eldest, it had 2gb ram, 1.5ghz dual core, 8gb storage [upgradable by 32gb SD] for around £40. Did very well for surfing the net playing games etc. I just don't see the point in spending 2 or three [indeed up to 10] times the amount for a branded tablet that has the same or in some cases less specs. It even had an aluminium back plate rather than plastic.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The point Richard is that accepting 128Gb is superior to accepting 32Gb:rolleyes:

The article you link to is not comparing the new £50 Fire but the old Fire HD7. Sure the Hudl2 has a higher spec, thats not a surprise, it costs twice as much as the Fire that is the point of this thread.

I'm not anti Hudl, as I said from the outset, I have one. But the 1Gb Ram old Fire that we have beats the 1Gb Hudl that we have in terms of performance and reliability. I still think that the new £50 tablet that should broadly equate to these in terms of performance is a bargain. It'll be fine for watching videos, surfing the web etc.

Whats not to like? If thats all someone wants to do,why pay more?

No, its more but not superior Hugh. 32GB is more than enough, certainly for me and I look at the hardware more than extra storage. You can have all the storage in the world but if your machine is slugish it means nowt.

The fifty quid tablet is good value for money if your a light user and or on a tight budget.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well, I checked my Tesco 'boosts' and found I had almost two hundred quid to spend :)

So via 'click and collect' I ordered a lot of stocking fillers including one of the fifty quid Amazon tablets for my little granddaughter and its good value for money.

Added a 16gb sd card loaded with peppa pig and the night garden plus the youtube app so she's sorted on xmas day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE