Who would you like to meet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
OK, here is one for you.

If you had the chance to meet anyone, living or dead and to spend one day with them to learn a skill with one to one tuition, such as fire lighting methods, foraging, leather work, wood craft, tracking, forging etc etc…

Who would you want to meet and what would you want to learn.

Language and time periods are not a problem so if Waylander wanted to go and meet one of his Norse ancestors no problem. Will Lord could be whisked back to the Stone Age. Or simply a day with Ray or Lars Falt, what would it be for you.

I have to admit I am still undecided on this as I have always wanted to meet Bruce Lee to sit and talk to him as well as train with him, but that is not exactly Bushcraft. Perhaps a Japanese master sword smith I don’t know. What’s your choice?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Good choice on Marilyn Monroe:D

For me it would probably be Lars Falt, or Jim Bridger.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Id like Lars falt or Ray Mears. I know thats completely unoriginal. If language wasnt a problem, from the past it would be great to meet a neolithic englander and see what the land was like then, what the believed and how they did things.
Id also like to go aboard a pirate ship and see what kinds of treasures the spanish had taken from mainland central america. They took so many gold scuptures and ornaments and melted it down its tragic

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmm interesting -

"Local" - right now Robin and Dr Spoon (does a couple count as one?) My carving is deeply crude and its something I would like to rememdy. I have twice had the joy of learning from real experts in Bushcrafty stuff (spent a "private" day with John Lord and or course the time with Mors) and time spent learning from experts is so rewarding.

Dead - John Seymour I think - my guru

Inaccesible to me - Weaver and his friend John - two "friends I haven't met in person"

"Bushcrafty guru" - Patrick would be next on my list to learn from. I would also love to hang out with Ray Mears. I loved sitting round the fire with Mors one night and we spent two hours talking about his bunker as he called it (root cellar) and gardening - so very cool. Would welcome the chance just to chat to Ray

Red

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
For me, it would be the living legend that is Sir David Attenborough.
A man who has travelled far and wide throughout his lifetime, probably encompassing the globe. Went to places that were barely on the map (and some that weren't!) and I'm sure did his fair bit of rough camping. Bringing nature into our homes when none were looking. His legacy will be remembered by all.
Understated, subtle, humble, the epitome of an expert (Yes, I've read that other thread!)

Man, the stories he could tell!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've met several people on but and enjoyed talking to / learning things from them there's still more to meet :)

But as for current personalities there are some but not all,

Les Hiddins
Lars Falt
RM
Mors Kochanski (I know I've met him but the guy is incredible with his knowledge and I'd like to spend more time with him)
Tim Severin

Past people (to name a few)

Jack Hargreaves
Gerald Durrell
Thor Heyerdahl
Jim Bridger
Davey Crockett
Geronimo

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Has to be Ray for me.
I would also like to train and hang out with Bruce Lee! as would many.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Bear Grylls for me

Bernie

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I've met Ray Mears, so he's scrubbed off the list! Sorry buddy! :D

Chris Bonnington would be a great guy to sit and chat with. He was my number one hero when I was a child, if you don't count my Dad who I've met already! :rolleyes:

Failing that, and for real bushcraft/survival skills, either Eddie McGee or Lofty. I've met Loftys' son who was in the same Squadron as me in Germany, nothing like his Dad but he was a great bloke. More interested in drinking than survival!

:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chris is fascinating - and a fellow fan of Christmas Puddings (long story) :D. Doug Scott is pretty good value too

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was just fourteen when my Grandmother and my Mother died within months of each other. Too old to be a child and too young to be anything else.

I would be so blessed to walk with them, as I am, adult, with them as adults.
All that knowledge, abilty, creativity, intelligence, soul deep decency and sense lost; and though they have been dead for most of my life I still ache for them.
To walk with the older Mothers, to live the roots of our country, I can't but imagine their world and the knowledge they had.

Family apart, I don't think it's the great movers and shakers that I would want to spend time with, but those who quietly enrich my world, those who widen my knowledge, my mind, give honest friendship, who help the synergy of skills and abilities and creativity to widen.

By the by, my reference to Mothers isn't being sexist, but I knew my Father and Grandfather into my adulthood and even now I live in an all male family. I simply deeply miss the Matriarchy I grew up in.

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thor Heyerdahl

Alexandria David Neel

My tinker great grandfather.

Im sorry about your mum and gran Toddy, my mother died when I was 18; I still havent got over it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE