barrel stands and how to make one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
okay i have a half barrel and i am wanting to raise it 4 inches or so of the ground so as not to damage my dads finely built patio when we BBQ this summer.

now i have asked a few people this and there explanations very from making 2 X out of steel tube to welding legs on.

well the welding option is a no go unless someone would be willing to weld the legs on for me cos i cant weld at all and cant aford to welder to learn.

now the second option i have tried and its two flimsy and well i wouldnt want to trust in it to have a fire in.

so that is why i am now turning to you good people to try and help me with the solution

drew

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nothing easier Drew - get some 6" coach bolts (or threaded bar) and punch three holes in the bottom of the barrel. Push the bolts through and tighten a nut to hold firmly in place. You can make a wooden foot for each bolt by drilling a hole halfway though a section of firewood and setting the bolts in them for a fancy finish and to avoid scratching the patio

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just three through the bottom Drew - like the three legs on a milking stool - Makes it easy to balance. When I suggested this I imagined you had a half barrel cut in half width ways (to make a shape like a cup). I imagine from your hesitation its cut length ways? If so two or three legs each side would make more sense.

If you use threaded bar (like a bolt without a head) you can put a nut inside the barrel and a nut outside the barrel. If one leg is too long or short, you can adjust its length by winding the bar in or out. You can buy threaded bar in B&Q by the metre - and nuts to match.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just be careful on angles drew - ideally you need to be bolting through something that is square to the ground. The curves might mean the legs "stick out" a bit. Can't see that being a huge problem, but you might want to add some wooden "feet" so that it sits firmly and squarely on the floor rather than on edge of a bolt

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
comrie3.jpg

I used some some shelving bracket on the sides, but the principles the same, they're held on with 2bolts apiece. There is a lower rack as well now.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hey Drew, see if you can use big washers if you go with Red's idea too, else you risk the legs tearing through the skin and the barrel tipping. Big washers inside and out spread the load a bit, better yet a flat bar connecting the legs along the length of the barrel rather than the curve would help support it alot too.

Wear safety glasses, always remove appliance from power source when changing blades, never use an electric drill while in a full bath blah blah blah

Have fun, show pix.

I like your set up JohnC Very tidy. And the pictures at the link Albus showed is rather nice too. Nice one fella's.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE