College depression, bleak conservation future

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
What are your goals for the course and the future, specific, not wooly aims like "I want to work outside".
If you really want something you have to grab it, because you aren't going to get given it, which is the harsh reality.
I used to blame the college course I was on for not being what I expected, it was f*** all to do with the course, and everything to do with me not doing what I should have, work smarter and work harder.
You say your 20 but your parents are telling you where to live, really????
You seem to be under the impression that I'm a timid person. I've had to deal with a lot of crap like most of you, probably. I thought this time it would be different, but I was wrong. My reasons and aims are not "wooly" either.. I know exactly what I want to do. I've told you already that I want to go down the conservation route. Do I need to go into specifics? I'm sure you understand conservation, yes?

What does my being 20 have to do with anything? I couldn't find a single job in this market for a year and a half so I can't get myself an apartment. I pretty much have to follow my parents to England or become homeless. Simple.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Couldnt you take any job and study part time to further the career you want to undertake. Better to work towards it where you want to be than be forced south with the olds

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Some times you need to make sacrifices mate if its about self preservation. Id flip burgers if i thought it would keep me where i wanted to be and it put a roof over our heads.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
"I'm a supreme pessimist, if you haven't already guessed..."

Got that figured, in your 9 posts above, there is not one single positive statement, a sad state of affairs in one so young, you have your whole life in front of you, grab every oportunity, shake it and run with it.....no-one knows where it will go, not even you, but you'll never find out unless you try.

in the words of song by MPeople i believe...............

"What have you done today to make yourself proud"

Last edited:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Good news, life gets better the more you put in, bad news, you have to put in more than you get out for a long time before you are in that position.

There are also a lot of "Voluntary" posts out there, look for The Conservation Volunteers (TCV) http://www.tcv.org.uk/ Also there is the Community Service Volunteers (CSV) http://www.csv.org.uk/?display=volunteering

Also bad news is if you aren't able to fend for yourself then you have to go with those who will fend for you, The bank of Mum and dad and their roof will help you in the long run, or you strike out on your own and live with it. I had my first mortgage at 22 years of age it was how I left home, at 15% I had to do a four year apprenticeship to get the job that paid for that first mortgage, and boy did I have to do and take some sh*t during those four years.

As others have said already, keep going, keep your head down and wait for the chaf to blow away and leave the wheat behind. Good Luck.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I`d say give it a chance for more than two days. This course is a chance for you to do what you want. Will you really let some neds take that away from you? I suspect most of this 'ned-ness' to be a way for insecure folk to give themselves a posture. The ones that are not interested in learning will drop out automatically. Man up, and rethink walking away some weeks from now. But to be honest: if the course is only a year then just finish it. In the long run a year of this is a minor inconvenience if it enables you to get to where you want to be.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Timid.... no.
Unrealistic....Yes.

If you want something enough, you will have to make sacrifices to achieve it.
That may mean working crap jobs, away from home, sacrificing relationships putting up with people you dislike etc etc. How much do you want it??
80% of the workforce at my present job are at least 200 miles from home.

Being told where to live at 20 by your parents, you're 20, an adult, lead your own life.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
As someone who lectured in FE for fifteen years and only quit last year to follow my dreams, I have heard this every year. As others have said education is not just about course content. Your peers on the course are there for lots of different reasons, get to know them everyone has something to offer, they may even learn something from you!

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I found similar less interested enrolled people on the courses I have been on. They are only there until something better comes along. I loved the learning environment and could block out any immature time wasters. I would be the one knocking on the staffroom door, telling the lecturer to get off the coffee machine and do the job he was paid for at 9.05am. I paid to attend uni, I took days out of my own business, paid a childminder, walked two mile to catch a bus. Its a sad fact. Jobs you seek are few and far between. When I interview for new posts. If you haven't got the relevant qualifications/experience you don't get a look in. There are thousands of people leaving uni/college each year with very high grades. Just not enough jobs for them. You have to stand out. We only want the best. Giving in now will not help you in your future. Investment in knowledge pays the highest interest.

greensurfingbear

It's a fact that lots of the "outdoor" courses attract numpties. When I did chainsaw training i was the only person on the course who had paid to be there. Rest of the course was filled with dole dossers and not one of them admitted to having an interest in working with a chainsaw they'd been made to attend by job centre. I was the first one there in the morning, I felled the most trees, asked the most questions. Did I spend any time with my class mates.... Nope.

When I was on my NVQ forestry course run by btcv, again I was the only one with any real interest in working in conservation. Listened to lecturers, asked questions and did the work, spent my lunch times by myself as my class mates liked to read the daily sport/ sun and talk about things I had no interest in.

Did I enjoy the courses..... Well I enjoyed the practical sections and i did learn some important stuff. Was i desperate to have people I could associate with..Hell ya I was. But I did the courses as stepping stones.

I knew i wanted to be a park ranger when i 15 years old. It took graduating from uni volunteering going back and doing a post grad studies, doing short courses, taking seasonal posts to get here but I'm doing it now full time.

If you want it go for it. Put the effort in and take the rough with the smooth. no one will give you the job you've got to earn it.

Orric

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
THOaken, what level is the course that you have enrolled on?

Is there a slightly higher level course that you could start?

Eg. If you are currently on a 1st diploma course is there a national diploma that you could transfer onto?
The basic courses attract more plebs than the more involved, longer courses.

Sent from my boggy hole using tapatalk 2

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You need to ask yourself what your want in life (work wise) and look at the realistic options to qualify for that role, whether it be nursing, working in bank, being a plumber etc.

Will the end qualification get you work? Is it a valid future work option? My local uni knocks out dozens of youngsters with degree's in Forensic science who won't get work in that field, don't start me off on the likes of Media Studies...unrealistic qualifications qualifying you to stack shelves.

If the course is valid and an aid to your future dream job then stick with it. If its not look at other avenues of entry but don't walk on it now...looks pee poor on your CV for one thing.

Re: Open University, its got my respect, I did (IIRC) the T101 foundation course about 38 years ago. Taking into account I've been a fairly recent undergraduate I'd say they are leaps and bounds ahead of 'real' universities in terms of course delivery and solid backup unless its changed dramatically over the years.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
You'd be amazed the idiots you have to deal with when living and working in rural areas. Its not for everyone. Without wanting to be rude, if you couldn't see your way to sticking with the course for two days, then I suspect a change of direction may be a wise decision. Whether its obnoxious bosses, uptight customers or downright stupid members of the public, you will always be exposed to people who have the capacity to rub you up the wrong way - if you can't deal with that (and many can't), something less "robust" in its nature may suit you better.

This is very very good advice and information.

It applies to all jobs; you'll come across complete idiots everywhere. I've done all sorts of jobs, from toilet cleaner, builder's labourer, barman, worked in s****y offices in the square mile with people who earned thousands a day. There were some irritating morons in all of those places. Sometimes you just have to work with them, even if you despise them.

Now, back to your dilemma. You are nearly 20 you say; your parents can't force you to move. They can withdraw housing, money etc, but where you live is your choice.

My stepson did a degree in environmental conservation at Bangor. He enjoyed that and the content sounds a bit more up your street.

Last edited by a moderator:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It's very difficult to offer much meaningful advice without knowing you better and more about your situation, but my first impression is that you are being too hasty to judge both the course and your colleagues on it. Maybe you should think about what this rush to judgment might say about yourself?

Good luck...

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I hate to say it and I may even get slammed for it but I would not touch you with a barge pole. You have come across like a whining quitter who can't mix with people and has little sense of humour. Every course I ever went on as a youngster has had oddballs and losers in them. The world has lots of them in it and you will make contact with them throughout your life.

I cocked up the academic course I was on at college and so the next year I tried a practical course that taught several trades at once (the idea being you found which one you had a real feel for and progressed in that subject). The class was similar to yours filled with a mixture of direction less kids for the most part. This was a massive change to my first year and the kids were very different. After a couple of months though some had left and most of the others had settled down. A couple of those idiots became good friends once we all got to know each other. A lot of what you get out of this course will depend on what you put into it. Once the lecturer gets to see how keen you are he will point you in the right direction provided you stick out the course and wind your neck in.

sycamour

Forager
Dec 10, 2012
south east
I hate to say it and I may even get slammed for it but I would not touch you with a barge pole. You have come across like a whining quitter who can't mix with people and has little sense of humour. Every course I ever went on as a youngster has had oddballs and losers in them. The world has lots of them in it and you will make contact with them throughout your life.

I cocked up the academic course I was on at college and so the next year I tried a practical course that taught several trades at once (the idea being you found which one you had a real feel for and progressed in that subject). The class was similar to yours filled with a mixture of direction less kids for the most part. This was a massive change to my first year and the kids were very different. After a couple of months though some had left and most of the others had settled down. A couple of those idiots became good friends once we all got to know each other. A lot of what you get out of this course will depend on what you put into it. Once the lecturer gets to see how keen you are he will point you in the right direction provided you stick out the course and wind your neck in.

Here here! well said, the first post to address the real problem!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im inclined to say the same thing too, 2 days on a course isn't enough.

The losers will leave or be kicked off sooner enough.

Have you discussed these issues with your tutors? Your form tutor??

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
There's also a lesson in here somewhere about tact, as if you post strong opinions, people will think its ok to respond in kind, by posting strong opinions also. ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE