Your knife for Bushcraft...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Jake, if I'm not mistaken, that would be the price for just the blade. I have three OSF knives and the blanks were in the $40-$60 range. It was an incredible deal that Nick Wheeler provided and we were VERY lucky to get them. I think Nick will be selling his own version of a scandi ground full tang field knife very soon and based on the prototype that I've seen, it's quite a beauty. Schwert is testing them right now and if he stumbles across this thread, maybe he will post a pic. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
zambezi said:
This knife is my preferred all-rounder. I hope to furnish some pictures taken using it in the field shortly.

zambezi, that's a nice looking knife by Roger! He does great work. I have a little custom project going on with him right now and I'm pretty excited about it. It's a design I made up several years ago but never got around to completing, mainly because I suck at grinding. :lol: So I turned the project over to Roger and it's gonna happen! My design also has an exposed tang.

I don't think Roger will mind if I post a progress picture. The top blank is one I sent him that has been lying around far too long. :lol: The bottom is the one he is working on which he cut from S30V stock. The tang will be tapered and the blade will have a scandi grind. The exposed tang will be used primarily for scraping and will be around 0.080" thick. IIRC, the stock thickness is 5/32".

hoodoo_profile1.JPG

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Hoodoo, I can certainly vouch for Roger's work and am well pleased with his faithful rendering of my design. In my case I wanted the hammer end of the tang to remain quite chunky [versatile] so Roger thinned the tang only slightly from 0.2 at the spine to 5/32 at the heel. [5mm and 4mm in new money]

I look forward to seeing your finished blade, and know you will not be disappointed.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I carry a Cold Steel Master Hunter as my main knife although I carry a small folder as well and a folding saw

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
I have used a Frosts Mora (green handle) knife that I was issued on a Woodlore course - fantastic value for money (£10).It has a very thin blade which does flex a bit but has taken a good beating over the years ive had it.

I will be sporting my A.W. Woodlore soon as I get the time to go walkies...

Off topic:
Adi Fiddler said:
I carry a Cold Steel Master Hunter as my main knife
Adi how do you get on with this knife as I bought one many moons ago and has sat idol in a drawer. In the pic its the top one for those wondering :biggthump

coldsteelmasterhunter2mc.jpg

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Another vote for the 5/32 OSF in O1. It sees more use than any other knife I own. Despite the higher grind, its edge refuses to bow. Nick Wheeler is a class act. I still have a spare OSF blade lying around that I need to finish.

But my 98' Woodlore really comes close ;)

osfwoodlore.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Wow! I just remembered something. It was the blade of the CS Master Hunter that I used as a model for my Roger Linger Custom shown above. I really like that design.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Hoodoo that CS Master Hunter looks great - can you tell me what you have done to it!
I guess you`ve cut the rubber handle off and made your own, also what have you done to the edge - is it a full flat now?

It has given me ideas on how to customise mine as I dont like the grind or the rubber handle. I have to agree on the shape though, tis sweet..

I`ll have to look up on how to make a leather sheath too :biggthump

Cheers!

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
SquirrelBoy said:
Adi how do you get on with this knife as I bought one many moons ago and has sat idol in a drawer. In the pic its the top one for those wondering :biggthump

coldsteelmasterhunter2mc.jpg

Yes mine is the top one as well. I bought mine when they first came out, back then they were considered the best bush knife around. It has been a good companion to me although it is a big lump of metal; I do only use it for the heaviest work though. It has a carbon steel blade which has been really hard to care for whilst in the field, you get rust spots in the mater of hours but the blade has a nice patina now.

I own a number of Frost Clipper Field knives and they are great utility knives.
I also own a couple of Brusletto knives.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Nigel, I sent that off to blademan (Jamie Knowlden) and he replaced the rubber handle with a coffin tang micarta handle. He also convexed the edge. I believe Chad did the same and when I saw Chad's, I just had to have mine done as well. Mine is AUS 8a steel, not Carbon V. Jamie does some incredible handles.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Cheers Hoodoo, could well be a project in the making there :naughty:

I was at one point going to put it on here for sale - am glad I didnt as I really do like the shape of the blade, just didnt like the handle too much..

:biggthump

More and more it's becoming one of these two,
141671.JPG

Or a combo of these:
BarkRiversRuckSAKOpinel1.jpg

The Bark Rivers hold an edge really well and get very sharp, the Helle just feels about perfect, and the Rucksak is handy as can be. I still have alot to learn about bushcraft, though. Up until a few years ago my choice would have been my Buck 119. A very cool knife, but not the best for bushcrafty stuff. For some reason, I think I'm starting to become addicted to scandi knives lately... :naughty:

Rod

On a new journey
Steve1701D said:
More and more it's becoming one of these two,
141671.JPG

Or a combo of these:
BarkRiversRuckSAKOpinel1.jpg

The Bark Rivers hold an edge really well and get very sharp, the Helle just feels about perfect, and the Rucksak is handy as can be. I still have alot to learn about bushcraft, though. Up until a few years ago my choice would have been my Buck 119. A very cool knife, but not the best for bushcrafty stuff. For some reason, I think I'm starting to become addicted to scandi knives lately... :naughty:

Hi Steve,

I also have the Helle Fjellkniven & am really pleased with it. I will also use an Opinel No 8 :super:

Grasshopper said:
Hi Steve,

I also have the Helle Fjellkniven & am really pleased with it. I will also use an Opinel No 8 :super:

That Fjellkniven grows on me every time I use it. It's also my main kitchen knife at the moment, just to get a chance to use it more :wink: Only complaint is that the softer outer steel in the laminate scratches easily, but I got it to use, so I can live with it.
I also have a Helle Nying, but I haven't had the chance to use it very much. It's a nice size, unusual handle shape to it. I'll try to post a pic of mine once I get my new camera figured out.

Opinals are pretty cool, too! The one in the pic is a #9, and I have rounded the end of the handle off a bit. Developes a nice patina, and gets real sharp! I would like to drop the point someday when I get around to it!

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Hoodoo, still thats pretty awesome for the price...:biggthump

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I agree with my fellow Hoosier Steve that the Fjelkniven is an excellent knife. I've had the Helle Harding for years (same blade as the Fjelkniven) and I've always been impressed with how that short little scandi bevel bites into wood. I recently bought a Fjelkniven and am very impressed with how it fits in the hand although Iwill probably eventually round off the butt. Those laminated blades are not good for striking a ferro rod with the spine but I always keep something else handy for that so it's not a problem.

Moine

Forager
Here comes the barbarian... :D

I carry bigger & tougher blades, mainly because they offer a few more possibilities (splitting wood, chopping, and high energy batonning... for example...).

I also carry Moras or (more often) my F1 (which really is a favourite I admit).

blades.jpg

Left to right :

F1 -- very used... :)
Benchmade mini-afck -- My EDC
Swamp Rat Camp Tramp -- My all-time favourite blade... Top notch steel and incredible versatility. You can chop a small tree down AND skin a squirrel with that blade.
Becker Brute -- Too heavy, doesn't chop much better than the Camp Tramp... I don't carry that one in the bush very often. Still, it's one tough blade...

If I carry only ONE knife, it's the Camp Tramp.

Cheers,

David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE