Your knife for Bushcraft...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
At the Moment...

Knife: North Star
Manufacturer: Bark River
DSCF0085.jpg

not a great photo...

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
do any of you guys make your own?. I will try to post picture of mine in a few days, its one of many i've made but I really would'nt call myself a knife maker. made it from old meat clever, [1930's], works well,[very], has multiple functions and like all the gear I make, as soon as I finished it, I found something on it that would be better if done differently, I really hate that sometimes!!!.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
On Gerds site under the knife pictures, there are some Trond full tangs. Go into his site and click 'Kniver'. (the norwegian equivalent to Knives) :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Now for a slight departure from all these Scandis :roll: :lol:

Fowlerstyle.jpg

Blade is 5.75 inches of 5/32 O-1, and the guard extends about 0.75" from the ricasso. Though I am currently using a Swamp Rat Bog Dog (bottom-below), the above knife is my favorite of the knives I have made.

workingknives.jpg

I have had both knives do everything that I have wanted them to do in the field, from dressing game to carving spoons and fire sets to splitting wood.

Jury is still out on the Alan Blade Freelander, I have been unable to use it due to the handle size and section not suiting me, it just happens to be in shot with the Bog Dog :roll: .

The Rapid Response Folder has also been going bush with me and has been working out quite well despite its looks :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I have one or two to choose from but the one I reach for most is this.
puranvarsi1.jpg

The blade is made by Puronvarsi, I got it from Brisa.fi the handle's curly birch. It's small and so light that I don't even notice it in it's neck sheath. It holds an edge well too. I did work down the tip slightly as it was a little too upswept for my taste but other than that an excellent blade.
In case you're interested the spoon is hawthorn that I roughed out this morning. It's not a tiny knife (75mm blade) it's just a big spoon as I have a big mouth :rolmao:

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
This is mine, a blade blank from Texas Knife, finished off by me, thinking about getting a specific bush blade as the guard gets in the way, and the blade is a concave grind.

DSC00067.JPG

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
I'm currently using either an A.W. Woodlore or a WS Woodlore with micarta handle. Neither getting much use at the moment but hopefully in the comming months that will change.

Brian

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Brian ,any chance of a little review of the 2 knives.
Is there a big difference between them ?
Is the AW worth the wait and the extra dosh ?
I find my AW (not a woodlore) holds an edge slightly better than my WS Woodlore and it's also slightly better for casting sparks with a firesteel.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
RB,

If you like I'll let you see the AW as you don't appear too far away from me. The AW is, as seen on previous posts, an extremely well made knife, you can certainly tell the difference in workmanship between the two (my WS had some marks on the blade and needed a bit of honing when it arrived). The handle of the AW is nicely shaped for my hand and is quite chunky where as the WS is a lot thinner(so if you have hands like shovels don't get the WS). I find the AW gives a better spark than the WS and holds its edge for longer, although neither knife have been used as much as I would like. The AW IMHO is worth both the wait and the cost . PM me if you want to see the AW up close (I'm away for two weeks fom monday but after that is OK).

Brian

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE