Your Current Bushcraft/Working tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Ok folks, lets keep on topic. I believe there are other threads that deal with this issue. No need to turn every thread into a rant on gear critics. Lets's keep the why questions to practical issues in this thread and skip the raging against the naysayers. This has been going on ever since BCUK has been BCUK and quite frankly, I find it tiring. We don't need to open Pandora's box in every gear thread.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
I'm gonna trust you wayland cause your a viking but acording to the tv show deadliest warrior I'd be better off trusting a samurai .

Mart.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Well I have recently recieved this Leuku in a BB KITH and I made the Lauri 72 and both work well.

Bigknife.jpg

I have this one I made

latestknife2-1.jpg

I have a Frost Clipper and a 106 which are of course great and a GB SFA. I have a bow saw and a budget pruning saw. I have some SAK's as well.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
If you were to ignore the damascus on the BG, which is your favorite between the two. For instance if you could only take one on a long trip?

if it was o1, i would still take the bernie garland, as its a full tang and i can rely on it. the only issuse is the handle, which could be a little longer, but then again it wasnt made for my hand, but it still works fine and i can say that bernies handles are some of the best ve ever held, and his choice of scales (Box Elder) although smooth, gives a huge ammount of grip, ive never slipped on this handle, which makes it superior in handle material to my other knives, also 4mm can be a bit thick for certain tasks, but this is ofset by the decent grind, this knife can do it all pretty much, beside hacking.
if i were to make any changes it would be to make it about 2cm bigger and make the blade a little thinner.
also the damascus is a brillant steel, takes a beautiful edge, holds it forever and is very easy to touch up + bernies craftsman ship is top of the pile imo.

so yeah, if i were to rely on one knife it would be the BG Damascus, however i love the wolverine as its light, sharp, comfortable and has near perfect edge geometry and proportions, so thats one i carry alot when i go for day trips.

ATB
Josh

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
I know a lot of folks don't like the kabar style of knife, but I find it's the one knife I consistently take with me on outback trips. It's as tough as nails, I doubt I'll ever break it and it's easy to maintain a good edge. I also carry a SAK and a bahco folding saw.

I just purchased a Svord drop point, this may usurp the kabar.

2009%20Camping%20trip%20168.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE