Your Current Bushcraft/Working tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Hi guys,
So what cutting tools do you usualy take into the woods camping Ect.
here are the ones that seem to never leave my side when out.

Kellam Wolverine
kellamwolverine010.jpg

kellamwolverine008.jpg

kellamwolverine005.jpg

B Garland, Damascus
Berniegarlanddamascus004.jpg

Berniegarlanddamascus011.jpg

The Axe Replacments
campkniv001.jpg

And a little skinning knife i made up myself
homemadeblades002.jpg

And a SAK.
so lets see what you fellas carry :)

ATB
Josh

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lance Ockenden general user
lance1.jpg

Fallkniven TK4 for food/game prep
tk4.jpg

British Red / Cegga Hunter axe
373541022_8210c7e532.jpg

Bahco Laplander saw
sawlarge.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Seems like Cegga's are eminently popular.....

Here's mine aligned with my Khukri...
IMG_1652.jpg

Knifewise, it a self made Woody clone with varied geometry along its edge, originally it was a set of hedge clippers, recycled axe handle as scales and my own sheath.
IMG_3438.jpg

ATB

Ogri the trog

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Hi there sib-fu, do you actually take 5 knives out at once or what. How would you choose between the damascus one or the Kellam, both cool BTW.

Mart.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Hi,
Nahh, i only carry one belt knife, unless i need a chopper.
i tend to cary the Kellam for just walking in the woods, the damascus is great for splitting and feather sticks, so its a better one tool as its very thick, but the kellam cuts better
ATB
Josh

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
If you were to ignore the damascus on the BG, which is your favorite between the two. For instance if you could only take one on a long trip?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Bushcraft cliche time!
Favourites at the moment...
GB SFA (or Hults hunter)
Laplander saw
Damascus bushy clone or a cut down carbon 5 Cold Steel SRK, or a Wharncliffe I forged myself.
Mora - rehandled in Desert Ironwood and Teak - as a neck knife
Leatherman Wave

Also on occassion
GB hand Hatchet
Reprofiled Golok
Various knives I am testing or have just made as experiments in technique/style (ie - I have just made a stainless 5 1/2" bladed full tang knife to try grinding a convex edge...harder to do well than I thought...)
SAK (various)
Leatherman secateurs
Moras of various types
Home made bucksaw
Various folders inc
Opinel
Whitby
Buck
Douk Douk
etc
It all depends on the trip what I take

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Here they are.
At the top is the good old Laplander. Then comes a hatchet I got from a boot fair for £1.50. And at the bottom is my knife. Don't know its make - the blade is an old one and I put the antler handle on it myself.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry john, you.

Just honest!
Not only do I rehandle knives - mainly Jonsson Moras - for sale, I also experiment at making my own blades either from stainless stock or, more recently, forging my own (only one success so far (on a Dave Budd course).
On top of this I review knives axes and other gear for a couple of magazines and a couple of websites - so I get lots to play with!
Add to this an almost magpie-like habit of collecting sharp and shiny bits from around the world (Thai jungle knife, American obsidian knife blade, French pocket knife etc etc) I have ended up with a houseful of sharps.....

The main ones listed SFA, Bushy clone and Laplander saw are still amongst my favourites though!
They do the job well, so they get used often....

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Right oh John. No offence ment but I didnt know what you ment by Bushcraft cliche time!
I noticed this in your list

GB SFA (or Hults hunter)

Do you know what the crack is with hultafors axes in respect to them making for husqvarna. I can get husky axes cheap - ish through work, but they only list a hatchet or a jump up to what they call an 'All round axe' with a 68 cm helve. I take it the hultafors hunter is similar in size to a SFA?

Regards, Mart.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No offence taken. The cliche is en the SFA, Bushy Clone and Laplander and the Mora...part of the "uniform" that some seem to dismiss as expensive choices made because everyone else has them not because they are any actuall use:)
I have choice, I have tried lots of stuff - and I still like the cliched stuff!
The Hults hunter is just a little bigger than the GB SFA.
I am afraid I have no idea about the Husqs...

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
I cant see whats wrong with having good gear either, cliched or not. I havent worn a uniform for a very long time now so i dont see how owning certain tools would change that.
I joined this forum cause it looked like a good place to learn a thing or two. If I see lots of people using the same gear then thats an endorsment far better than any manufacturors.
I have lots of knives too so when I get a swc bushy it wont be because i want to fit in with anyone it will be because I have made an informed choice.

Mart.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I cant see whats wrong with having good gear either, cliched or not. I havent worn a uniform for a very long time now so i dont see how owning certain tools would change that.
I joined this forum cause it looked like a good place to learn a thing or two. If I see lots of people using the same gear then thats an endorsment far better than any manufacturors.
I have lots of knives too so when I get a swc bushy it wont be because i want to fit in with anyone it will be because I have made an informed choice.

Mart.

Sadly many people who did exactly that themselves in the past, now tend to think that they are now so superior to lesser mortals that they sneer at anyone who chooses to use the gear that general experience has shown is good for the job.

I don't really understand that kind of thinking, I buy the best kit that I can and I pay great heed to recommendations from people I trust.

If that makes some of my kit "uniform" I don't have a problem with that, at least I know it is up to the task.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE