You know your OUT IN THE COUNTRY when!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
You have to wait for 15 minutes to allow a herd of cattle (about 150cows) to walk down the road before you can continue a nice walk.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
When drivers slow for horses

When the postie signs for your parcels

Where you stand out if your car doesn't carry a "save hunting" or "countryside alliance" sticker

Where no-one jumps at a gun shot

Where work clothes are overalls (tied at the waist in summer)

Where 4x4s are actually necessary

Where your neighbour will cut your hedges whilst cutting his (with a tractor :) )

Where its expected to share

.....and most of all.............

You're home :approve:

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In tourist season you can't get anywhere on time 'cos the sods think 25mph is a reasonable speed on a single track road :rolleyes: and pulling in to let someone pass is a highway offence :censored: .

Everything shuts by five, choice of purchase is limited and expensive, fuel costs are higher, public transport is carp; surgery, dentist and hospital visits necessitate two ferries and a train journey.......midgies, clegs, ticks.......I love the countryside, but I don't want to be stuck in the back of beyond.
I want the conveniences of modern life but to be able to walk out the back gate into woodlands and hedgerows knowing I've got waterways and loch and hills nearby.

It's only this past two hundred years or so that the countryside has been so empty of people. Maybe what we really need to do is all spread out a bit.............I can hear the shouts of, "Heresay!", now :rolleyes: :D

cheers,
Toddy

forestwalker

In tourist season you can't get anywhere on time 'cos the sods think 25mph is a reasonable speed on a single track road :rolleyes: and pulling in to let someone pass is a highway offence :censored: .

Someone I know once overtook someone. At the time he was driving a tractor -- by no means a new tractor -- pulling a huge trailer full of gravel. The car was a modern sedan.

Everything shuts by five, choice of purchase is limited and expensive, fuel costs are higher, public transport is carp;

I agree, carps are a bad choice for pubic transportation, much too slow. I suggest pike for short distances and -- if you insist on fish -- e.g. salmon for the longer routes. Please insert your choice of smiley here.

This summer I'm moving from 90 minutes to Stockholm, 40 to Uppsala, a buss every 2 hours during the day, to "no busses closer the 5 km, and 150 km to a town (10 km to a village)". I can't wait.

It's only this past two hundred years or so that the countryside has been so empty of people. Maybe what we really need to do is all spread out a bit.............I can hear the shouts of, "Heresay!", now :rolleyes: :D

I'm all against that. I think all the rest of the people should live in a few large arcologies, leaving the all the rest for me, me, me! In my daydreams I can see no drawbacks to this plan...

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
...you are surrounded by merchant bankers (in both senses) who can afford to pay the house prices and commute to the city to work while claiming that those of us who want to get out and about just don't understand their "traditions." Sorry, but this is a bit of a bugbear of mine having once been told by a member of the countryside alliance that, despite being born and raised in the country (a small village on the edge of industrial S. Wales) and spending time in my childhood summers on my uncle's farm (in the Bog of Allen, Ireland) that this was the "wrong sort of countryside". I suspect what she meant was that I was the wrong sort of person for the countryside...

jabbadahut

Mar 15, 2009
uk
www.8thcolour.co.uk
You know you are in the country when at summertime the lanes are full of people carriers with halford roofbox's parked by a junction with one of the passengers out trying to find signposts for directions!

when your cockeral his crowing his head off at 5 in the blessed a.m. and the neighgbours dont come complaining they just come for eggs.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Reading this thread i get the feeling that some don't like the countryside,how odd.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Isn't it though - even stranger that people want to come out into the country....and then change it :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE