yeeeaaahhhh.... i did it

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
hi everyone, I made my first bow drill today and have managed to get an ember, i have to say thank you to Kepis as he gave me a set to work from and copy he also gave me good advice regarding techneque and what wood to use.
so I went to my local wooded area to find some dead standing trees to use and I came across some birch and cut of a branch took it home and prepped for use. now the set does not look neet and pretty but it is functional and manage to gain ember after 4 attemps. im so chuffed ;)
5284f976-0dfd-7410.jpg
not sure if u can see the smoke in the pic but i promice its there

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Well done mate, its a buzz when you get it for the first time isnt it! Did you manage to transfer the ember to flame or were you just trying to get the ember, cause its an even bigger buzz when you see your ember turn into flame.

Once you have done it once you will always have the belief that you can do it again, credit to you for giving it a bash, well done mate.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Well done mate, its a buzz when you get it for the first time isnt it! Did you manage to transfer the ember to flame or were you just trying to get the ember, cause its an even bigger buzz when you see your ember turn into flame.

Once you have done it once you will always have the belief that you can do it again, credit to you for giving it a bash, well done mate.

I was just going for ember on this one, this is the 1st one that i have made by myself with no help, i built the set and made the ember there was a little flame there. its the same feeling as when you pass your driving test and you go on the road for the first time without your instructor. thanx to Kepis at the sussex meet and to other people in the past that has given me good advice to go out and try it ;)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have managed an ember on several occasions but never been able to bring it to flame.

So a big well done to you.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well dome mate, I'm pleased for you.
So when we check out Epsom common the fire lighting is your job, I'll do security. :lmao:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Superb, im really pleased for you, told you that you could do it :)

Hand drill next then?:rolleyes:

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
its a great feeling isn't it? Almost a rite of passage, you'll never forget it. I reckon you owe Kepis a beer, cos I was about 18 months on my own, on and off trying before I cracked it. Good on yer.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Well done! My first ember was at bushmoot after several failed attempts under instructors busy eyes. Next day I sat down well rested and thought about it, composed myself and got an ember first time! I repeated till exhaustion.

On THREE seperate occasions I've created embers by accident using a bow drill. First time I was building up some dust, but it caught! Rather than go 'ah well that's how easy it is for me' I blew it out on purpose and then failed to make an ember for the next two attempts and gave up after the kids started to look bored.

2nd time I was practicing for a demonstration I was doing, wife came out to talk to me about something so deadly serious that I can't remember what it was about. I'd downed tools with only a little smoke coming out, came back to everyone laughing because I'd done exactly the same whilst preparing dust I'd gone too far and it'd just lit on its own.

3rd time I was racing another scout leader with 60 cubs watching. He'd had a few minutes head start whilst I explained what all the bits were, what they were made of and what the different stages were. I decided since he'd not actually got anywhere at that point to have a go and lit it within about 15 seconds.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE