Year long shelters (permanent bushcraft spots)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Hello folks,

While browsing through the forums threads and galleries of shelters, I was wondering if any of you have some permanent shelters that they use occasionaly when you feel bushcrafty. Little homes away from home if you wish :) .

I remember having done 2 of them (debris shelters) as I was younger around my home in nearby forrests. I know it's always prefered to leave no traces in the landscape, but since it was a private land of ours, we did not care much and I had a place to go if I wanted to whittle my wooden swords in peace :sulkoff: .

And since I'm a visual person, pictures are always welcomed :D

Good day,

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If I had found the spot that I frequent in Germany last summer, I would have made a permanent thatched lean-to. There is some sort of reed like plant growing there, it is straight stalked and pithy, it seemed to have died off over the winter and I guess it will spring back to life now. There is loads of it and it can be collected easily, and I would have loved to try it out, but what with my impending move back to Britain I doubt I will get the opportunity to do it.

I guess I'll have to leave it until I come back to Blighty!!

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
On some of our regular trails we have selected certain traditional spots to make camp. At these points we have stored poles or even shelter frames to be reused so that there is no waste in recutting poles, branches, building numerous fire circles instead of reusing existing traditional ones... etc....
I don't subcribe to the leave no trace practise but more to the do not abuse, misuse, disfigure/dishonor nature. There will always be traces of our passage if you notice.. as well as traces of other animals, birds, reptiles just a matter of knowing what to look for.
I would rather see well maintained camping spots than to see multiple poorly disguised fire rings, or the bush around hacked off to supply new poles and such.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
To right,

2whovoy.jpg

Unfortunately we got stitched up by the local council and this season will be the last with these shelters and set up, has to be dismantled and made more temporary using tents and folding chairs rather than bench seats...

LS

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Nice setup / picture ludlowsurvivors :You_Rock_ .

Too bad about the fact that you have to dismantle it :( I assume the concil is concerned about fire issues ? Also, is it currently on public lands or on your owned lands ?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
fredcraft said:
Nice setup / picture ludlowsurvivors :You_Rock_ .

Too bad about the fact that you have to dismantle it :( I assume the concil is concerned about fire issues ? Also, is it currently on public lands or on your owned lands ?

It is on privately owned land, we have a VERY generous farmer who lets us use a piece of his land approximately 100 X 200 Yards, unfortunately we appear to have been stitched up by someone.

We have been there for about four years on and off, but we are determined to keep going, as so many who have been there have really enjoyed their stay.

Onwards and upwards as they say.

LS

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Carcajou Garou said:
I don't subcribe to the leave no trace practise but more to the do not abuse, misuse, disfigure/dishonor nature.
I would rather see well maintained camping spots than to see multiple poorly disguised fire rings, or the bush around hacked off to supply new poles and such.

Nice way of seeing things Carcajou. I too find it hard to leave no traces but I'm not careless to the point of chopping perfectly healthy trees when there is suitable dead wood for my needs laying on the ground next to them !

---

You are lucky ludlowsurvivors to know such a kind farmer. Then again, that farmer is also lucky to deal with a sensible person like you ! As long as your spot is secure and well maintained, it's all good !

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Damn shame that is LS,some folks are not happy unless they are spoiling soneone else's happiness!

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
CLEM said:
Damn shame that is LS,some folks are not happy unless they are spoiling soneone else's happiness!

So very true CLEM ...probably someone who has too much time on their hands...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE