A Little Bush....and A Little Craft...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The photos I needed today took me back to the woods...I always love that. I was out at a place near Goat Point on Walden's Ridge, I got there just at sunrise and took a walk to look for what I needed.

DSC_1629.jpg

It's hard to walk through these woods without finding fatwood so I harvested some really rich stuff for a friend.

DSC_1553.jpg

DSC_1635.jpg

I almost stepped on this little guy, he was really well camouflaged and I barely noticed him.

DSC_1565.jpg

Lots of spiders in this area.

DSC_1633.jpg

This is some weird looking stuff on these leaves...seen it before but have no idea what it is.

DSC_1569.jpg

This little fella had some good camo going on too.

DSC_1664.jpg

Having found what I was looking for I headed back to "base camp" and the truck. Near by I found a fairly freshly fallen log that was still good and solid. I decided to try my hand at making a spoon since Spark has started a contest on it. I had a prototype hawk I've been messing around with so I decided to have a little fun with the tools I had on me. I chopped off a limb and roughed out the shape with the hawk and then started dressing it up with the Bushfinger. I'm not sure what kind of wood this is...but it sure is hard.

DSC_1550.jpg

DSC_1574.jpg

DSC_1575.jpg

DSC_1579.jpg

It was good to just sit and whittle and think, and the Bushfinger was really a pleasure to work with. About an hour and a half of just sitting and whittling in peace and no hot spots at all.

DSC_1591.jpg

DSC_1585.jpg

It started taking shape pretty quick.

DSC_1583.jpg

DSC_1582.jpg

This is what it looks like now as I haven't sanded on it any and I'm still trying to decide if I want to burn it out, gouge it out, or buy a curved spoon knife and scoop it out.

DSC_1605.jpg

DSC_1604.jpg

DSC_1603.jpg

I was having so much fun using the Bushfinger I decided to try a few things with it. I started making a notched adjustable pot hanger out of a recently dead Dogwood limb.

DSC_1688.jpg

DSC_1691.jpg

DSC_1692.jpg

DSC_1696.jpg

DSC_1698.jpg

DSC_1700.jpg

But on the trip to the truck to get the canteen after already nearly finishing off the guyot in the 106F heat index I realized I didn't have to 2qt canteen in the truck so my lunch of Lipton instant chicken noodle soup was not going to happen. So...I through the pot hanger in the back of the truck to finish later and just played around with the Bushfinger a little more before heading home to eat. I decided to try the tip for boring in a piece of the same hard wood that was split to make the spoon. The tip held up great and did a great job of boring a good sized hole through about 3/4 of an inch of some really hard wood.

DSC_1674.jpg

DSC_1666.jpg

DSC_1672.jpg

DSC_1676.jpg

DSC_1678.jpg

DSC_1680.jpg

DSC_1682.jpg

And after all the whittling, the bit of batoning, and the boring I tested the edge again and it would still whittle fuzz sticks good enough to use for tinder.

DSC_1705.jpg

In the end I was sort of glad I was out of water and had an excuse to leave...after hours in the 105F heat this was about as much fire as I wanted :)

DSC_1706.jpg

Thanks Andy, this knife and the energy it brings are fantastic. Today was just what the doctor ordered and i enjoyed it very much. I'm really looking forward to Autumn when I can really enjoy it.

QUOTE=TeeDee;729484]6 th Photo Down.

Insect Egg Sack??[/QUOTE]

I have no idea...usually the egg sacks are on the under sides of leaves to protect from weather and birds and such... aren't they?[

Great pics mate - I absolutely love that knife!

Thanks, and I really love it too. It's the "bushcraft knife" I've been wanting for over a year now.

Great pics as usual.

No hot spots using the knife...must be a joy to use.

It really is a joy to use. I whittled away about an hour and a half away before I even realized it.

lovely picks must have had an ausome time

Thanks Drew, it was an awesome time indeed!

they are a Gall, great pics buddy...

Thanks! I had to google galls and it's an interesting topic...man that lime nail gall is really odd looking.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the pics.

Excellent pics there friend and a great looking knife too.
Darren

Thanks Darren glad you enjoyed the photos, I'm loving the knife very much!

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
That looks like a nice way to spend a hot summers day. Really like the picture of the grasshopper, I can see a lot on here wanting to replicate its cammo pattern. :)

I'm not one to get interested in knives normally, but must say that does look rather nice.

Have you been been able to find out the type of tree you spoon wood came from, and have you finished it now?

Al

That looks like a nice way to spend a hot summers day. Really like the picture of the grasshopper, I can see a lot on here wanting to replicate its cammo pattern. :)

I'm not one to get interested in knives normally, but must say that does look rather nice.

Have you been been able to find out the type of tree you spoon wood came from, and have you finished it now?

Al

Thanks Al, it really was a nice way to spend the day, but would have been a lot nicer were it a bit cooler.

This is definitely my favorite knife now, I love this thing very much.

No to both questions. Still trying to learn what it is, and since it was for a contest in which I forgot to put my user name and date in I have to start over. I'll still finish this one, but it isn't a priority at the moment. Besides I learned a couple of things on that one that I want to change on the next one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE