Wouldn't it be great if pylons looked like this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I've never liked seeing pylons cutting across the countryside, but I'd love to see this.

powerlines_zpsd40a9e89.png

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
untitled_zpsbb6b0511.png

OR

imagesCAUDT2SH_zps0b7d5180.jpg

OR

imagesCA9ERZY3_zps13f16794.jpg

The walking men ones are apparently in Iceland

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They've taken all the pylons around here down and buried the cables instead :D
How the hang they find a problem I don't know though :dunno:

I like the stags and the walking men though :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Niels - "I'm always immoderately annoyed when windmills don't turn simultaneously."

Wow! I am not alone in that then?? I think they should have them turn so the blades turn at same rate and in the same angle as they turn so when one bald is vertical there is the same blade vertical on another one. Also why have one not turning when all the others turn? Why?!!! It makes no sense. Unless it is not viable to let them turn, i.e. not economic. If that's the case then why build it??

Sorry, don't mention windmills with me about. Brings out a degree of irrationality!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Niels - "I'm always immoderately annoyed when windmills don't turn simultaneously."

Wow! I am not alone in that then?? I think they should have them turn so the blades turn at same rate and in the same angle as they turn so when one bald is vertical there is the same blade vertical on another one. Also why have one not turning when all the others turn? Why?!!! It makes no sense. Unless it is not viable to let them turn, i.e. not economic. If that's the case then why build it??

Sorry, don't mention windmills with me about. Brings out a degree of irrationality!

More than likely broken again.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes, guess you're right. Did hear about certain turbines had an issue with the main bolt (or bolts) holding the blades on. Apparently fatigue I think was the result of the investigation into the failure after a blade went flying off. Think it happend more than once. Incompetence on someone's side. Whether it was the maintenance checks or the maintenance schedule was a bit over ambitious with the length between full check ups. Either way someone screwed up.

I do like windmills. The old ones in Netherlands and I think E Anglia are quite nice. As are those little toy ones made with coloured foil blades. I certainly don't like the new designs being planned in Ireland (to feed into the Britis national grid) that are taller than Nelson's column. Apparently they will ber the biggest in the world being designed and planned for Ireland!!

Mind you, if they put a few of the Deer pylons up taking the juice away then I guess it would be ok.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
They've taken all the pylons around here down and buried the cables instead :D
How the hang they find a problem I don't know though :dunno:

When we ran the cables up to yon windfarm last year we put in a fibre line as well.
Was primarily a control line for monitoring the substation on the hill but apparently if there's a break in the fibre and because the break isn't flat and polished it will reflect enough of a signal for the control room to ping(for want of a better word) it and tell how far along the line the break is.
The control duct went in on top of the cable ducts so it'd be the first thing hit by an excavator.
Some cables have control lines built in as a separate core within the sheathing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers Josh :D
I wondered how they would find a problem, but really couldn't see them not thinking about that and making provision to suss it out.

atb,
M

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I like pylons as they are, they add an interesting angularity to the landscape.

Something like that^.
Pylons are a good piece of function over form, I like it that way.
They are designed to do a job and do it perfectly, with very little wasted materials or effort.

The fancy looking things look like a group of architecture students have been let loose with the crayons in the hope of drumming up advertising for their practices and to my eyes the ones that look like stags are a waste of time, effort and money.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Notice the man ones have support wires

Clearly a bad design. The one up the road has 4 legs.

And the National Grid is a clever thing we take for granted

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE