Worlds Apart - Namibia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
What is the point of this kind of programming? I can see some Rupert in program development now "lets take Essex man and his family and dump them in some far flung place where we can watch them being miserable".

What can we gain from watching this kind of twaddle? It was almost as pointless as watching that eastenders bloke crying in the Alaskan wilderness.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
sandbender said:
What is the point of this kind of programming? I can see some Rupert in program development now "lets take Essex man and his family and dump them in some far flung place where we can watch them being miserable".

What can we gain from watching this kind of twaddle? It was almost as pointless as watching that eastenders bloke crying in the Alaskan wilderness.

Do what I did,throw the bloody thing out.You don't need a TV :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
FeralSheryl said:
But then you'd miss the next Ray Mears Series ;)

Not to mention The Sopranos and Six Feet Under! but I'm from Scotland and our TV schedules are out of synch with the rest of the UK, we'll sit down to watch Ray Mears and instead find ourselves watching highlights of the Gaelic Nose Fiddle Championships.

I managed to buy the last Ray Mears Series on DVD before it was broadcast up here, so maybe I'll dump the TV and just watch DVD's. :)

J

Josey Wales

It must be said that that guy who goes to Africa and involves himself in the local culture is very good.

Can't for the life of me remember his name but on one programme he was watching the local stick fighting and also on another managed to invert his penis :confused: :eek: :confused:

can you remember his name anyone??

cheers,

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Josey Wales said:
It must be said that that guy who goes to Africa and involves himself in the local culture is very good.

Can't for the life of me remember his name but on one programme he was watching the local stick fighting and also on another managed to invert his penis :confused: :eek: :confused:

can you remember his name anyone??

Bruce Parry, Prgramme was called Tribe.. or maybe the Tribe.. there's a few threads on it on the forum.

Bardialus

May 13, 2005
Chesterfield
Although intentionally the programme idea is a good one, if the person participating is willing to be open to accepting anothers way of living as proven.
The guy in the programme was the typical stereotype of a 'Yoof' as we call them, I thought some of it was interesting in an observational kind of way.

By watching idiots be idiots I hope I can learn how to act and react properly when fronted with different situations....Learn by example :D

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
sandbender said:

Right on the mark sandbender,tv has now got so bad i hardly watch it anymore.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I liked the way their girl got stuck into it later on (not bad looking either). The viewing of castrating a bull got to me a bit.

They also called a normal lock knife a switch blade GRRRRRRRRRRR

May 21, 2005
dublin ireland
hi guys i think the family in worlds apart missed the whole point of the trip to see another culture and accept how they live not moan about the people well your either into bushcraft or not.

Rod

On a new journey
I though one of the village elders made a particularly telling comment: how "these are not very good people and are not particularly worth knowing" :(

Seemed a shame, as the kids and father did try to make an effort. The mother seemed a particularly miserable old bag - kept asking for steak and chips! :eek:

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
sandbender said:
What can we gain from watching this kind of twaddle?

A more accurate understanding of our fellow man (or woman). Not a particularly happy one, either.

Whatever happened to British stoicism? Or perhaps as importantly, civility?
I'd have cheerfully knocked that woman's teeth out with a wooden chisel! The rest of the family weren't half so bad...

We are becoming a nation of overgrown spoilt children! (what do I mean "becoming"?)

Jim.

Firewyre

Jul 11, 2005
Birmingham, UK
*laughs* You don't get it - you're supposed to be disgusted. You're supposed to think they're awful.

They wouldn't pick a nice, well balanced family to go on one of these things - that's not 'entertainment'. They'd pick a family most likely to outrage and get us talking.

I mean - you watched it, and you're discussing it. As far as they're concerned - score!

I don't watch normal telly now. Ray and CSI are watched on DVD :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE