Wool blankets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bmatt

Sep 17, 2008
US/Finland
Hi Guys,

Second post here on BCUK. I was wondering if any of you use wool blankets out in the field. I have three (Italian military surplus, generic 70/30 and an old US military surplus) and am planning on using them some more in lieu of a sleeping bag.

Obviously, unlike sleeping bags, blankets don't come with "comfort ratings". This is why I wanted to ask any of you who might have more extensive experience using wool blankets about the comfort level of the blankets, how many you use, what you wear while you sleep, if you usually sleep close to a fire, if you use the blankets in combination with a sleeping bag etc. I have done some limited testing but, due to a new baby taking up LOTS of time, don't have as much time as I'd like to field test equipment right now, though I will of course experiment and test before winter camping at -10*C. ;)

Any input welcome.

Thanks for your time.

Bmatt

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm gonna go back to blankets this year, a fire is a necessity in colder months though! I have several to choose from, but layering with a number of thin blankets is better than using one thick blanket. Over the next few bank holidays, I intend to get out and try it out, it's beena long time since I used blankets alone on the ground.

Bmatt

Sep 17, 2008
US/Finland
I will definitely be layering and having a fire nearby on very cold-weather trips.

Let us know how your blankets work out.

I'm gonna go back to blankets this year, a fire is a necessity in colder months though! I have several to choose from, but layering with a number of thin blankets is better than using one thick blanket. Over the next few bank holidays, I intend to get out and try it out, it's beena long time since I used blankets alone on the ground.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
...Obviously, unlike sleeping bags, blankets don't come with "comfort ratings". This is why I wanted to ask any of you who might have more extensive experience using wool blankets about the comfort level of the blankets..

Welcome to the forum :)

I have a very heavy wool blanket from Erdély (Transylvania), for warmth its the match for most sleeping bags, sadly at around three times the weight :(

You should have a look through this thread, Myotis tells us about his experience with alpaca blankets.

Last edited:

Bmatt

Sep 17, 2008
US/Finland
Thanks for the tips. :)

Welcome to the forum :)

I have very heavy wool blanket from Erdély (Transylvania), for warmth its the match for most sleeping bags, sadly at around three times the weight :(

You should have a look through this thread, Myotis tells us about his experience with alpaca blankets.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a blanket around camp - as a cloak or wrap - and it acts as extra bedding if it gets realy cold...I have yet to use only blankets for bedding...I love my down sleeping bag too much!

Bmatt

Sep 17, 2008
US/Finland
Doing it like that, he may as well use a sleeping bag. I don't like sleeping bags because they're so tight - his system is even worse!:rolleyes:

Well, I'm not necessarily switching to blankets because I don't like sleeping bags, so being wrapped up wouldn't really bother me. I'm making the switch because I'm converting my kit to more natural materials (which I enjoy more), bit by bit.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I am using a combination of reindeer hide to lay on and 2 wool blankets on top the grey one is rather heavy but the green one I got from Decorum was lighter and warmer not sure what the wool content is its the warmest I have been in a hammock to date

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I use blankets and ponchos too.

They tend to be used to supplement my normal gear most of the time, but I do use them on their own occasionally and very often when in "Viking" mode.

When I was a lad I used a blanket for years before getting a sleeping bag, when I look back on it I must have got a bit softer since then. I'm not sure I could cope now with the minimal gear I had back then.

The best blankets I have are woven a little bit loose if you know what I mean. They are not quite as windproof as a felty old army blanket but they are a lot warmer.

Bmatt

Sep 17, 2008
US/Finland
I am using a combination of reindeer hide to lay on and 2 wool blankets on top the grey one is rather heavy but the green one I got from Decorum was lighter and warmer not sure what the wool content is its the warmest I have been in a hammock to date

What were the temps like when you slept with this setup? What kind of clothes were you wearing? Thanks.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
What were the temps like when you slept with this setup? What kind of clothes were you wearing? Thanks.

I recently slept on a reindeer skin with two woollen blankets on top. I was wearing long johns and a wool jumper. The temperature dipped to 2-3C overnight and I was a little cold although not too bad. I plan to use them more this year although I think if I was to use them at that temperature again I would take more clothing or another blanket.

Bmatt

Sep 17, 2008
US/Finland
I recently slept on a reindeer skin with two woollen blankets on top. I was wearing long johns and a wool jumper. The temperature dipped to 2-3C overnight and I was a little cold although not too bad. I plan to use them more this year although I think if I was to use them at that temperature again I would take more clothing or another blanket.

Great! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

I'm uncomfortable in the confines of a sleeping bag and this has led to me being in the process of trying to find an effective (and cheap!) way of ditching the sleeping bag.

During this process I've used two of the lighter blankets that woodstock mentioned, in frost conditions without being woken by the cold*.
Insulation from the gound has been thermarest and hide in conjunction with wearing non-insulated poly-cotton shirt (over a thin but warm base layer top) and trousers. When the temperature drops I wear rabbit fur mitts - which were made as part of the process mentioned above.

* Disclaimer - I prefer colder conditions.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I have slept in woolen blankets quite a few times, I have a bunch of blankets but only one I liked, it's a loosely woven blanket and it's big enough. I liked it because it's not too heavy and warm if you have a cotton cover to stop the wind. So then I asked my girlfriend to make another blanket like it, but of faroese wool and bigger, 240cm on 180cm. She has just finished the blanket, she has knitted (!!!) it completely by hand. It weighs 2160 grams. But now since it took so much energy to make it I am not allowed to take it out camping... bummer!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE