Wool blankets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I find woolen blankets much easier for hammock sleeping than sleeping bags. No wriggleing just jump in wrap yourself up like a samosa. The blankets I use are cream WW2 or pre-war marino wool. I was given a pile of about 10 blankets from the parents in law plus a wool sleeping bag. Some of them have had the ultimate kit test of the MIL sleeping wrapped up with her sisters outside in a park in winter during the blitz. I feel the cold, two blankets is normally fine in most weather but I have had to use a foil sheet one night in winter.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I've used wool -- and now alpaca -- blankets for years now quite happily.

In particularly cold environments ( like 0F-10F) I will use a blanket in combination with an ultralight down quilt. With a proper pad, you'll sleep like a baby.

Down to about 32F ( 0C ) a pair of lighter weight blankets do just fine.

Beware those 6 pound monsters though -- not because they're bad, just too heavy to carry on your back. You can get a good wool or alpaca blanket down to completely acceptable weights. For car camping, though, the heavier ones are great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE