Wool blankets supplier?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Millets do them, £6.99 in the sale green ones tht roll up and come with straps bout 1 metre by 1.8 metres good stuff

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Wash with comnditoner, lots of it! On the final rinse, chuck some baby oil in. It doesn't mae them really soft but it takes the edge off! They will soften with time. Also, get a liner for it, those picnic blankets I mentioned earlier are perfect for the job.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Wash with comnditoner, lots of it! On the final rinse, chuck some baby oil in. It doesn't mae them really soft but it takes the edge off! They will soften with time. Also, get a liner for it, those picnic blankets I mentioned earlier are perfect for the job.

Aiye, I have a liner plus a nice soft polyester fleece and really the wool is an outer to cover the lot but I can imagine it bugging the bejeezus out on my chin in the night.

[Shut up Matt - what do you want? Comfort?]

That would be nice?

[Well stay at home in bed then!]

BAH!

leon-1

That'll do the job. As the man says though it does take time. Though he probably left out the liberal applications of rifle oil whilst weapon cleaning and the large quantities of carbon that used to induce sessions of washing blankets (we could get ours done through the laundry, but they came back like someone had starched them).

In training I saw a number of different options including the usage of an elecric razor to shave the inner side of a blanket.

In the end though time heals all and although it seems that your blanket is considerably softer it's not.

You see by the time you think it is soft you now have a hide like a rhino with calluses, that's had its skin hardened with witch hazel and surgical spirit.:D

Don't fear the velcro effect, it'll save you the cost of buying razors:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I always wondered why the army blankets didn't have a fabric covered end strip like civvi ones do. It's just to harden up rookie squadies then, is it?
Why not just stitch over a narrow strip of sheeting? It doesn't need to be satin ribbon after all ;)

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Most army blankets alos have a corner piece missing. Usually a foot square has been cut off. This can be very confusing for pepople who have never had to bump a floor. The square piece of blanket is aid under the hand bumper and allows a highly polished sheen to floors. Also, pieces of the blanket were often tied to the boots to stop the buffed floor from being marked before an inspection. Woe betide anybody who walked down the centre of the corridor whilst the floor was being bumped!

leon-1

Woe betide anybody who walked down the centre of the corridor whilst the floor was being bumped!

What I hated more than anything else was someone coming in and saying "Not good enough, it requires more effort", normally comments like that were followed with "Strip it back and start again."

We had parquet (sp??) flooring in both the barrack rooms and corridors. More brass and copper than we new what to do with and it all had to be gleaming. Bulling rags are for boots, blankets on the other hand are pretty good for most anything else:D

You can even use them in layers as insoles for your boots:D

Toddy said:
I always wondered why the army blankets didn't have a fabric covered end strip like civvi ones do.

From what I can see the design of the army blanket hasn't changed since the dawn of time, but if you had put an expensive strip of thin but tightly woven cloth around the hem you probably would of found that the squaddies of the day would of used it in their muskets, so what would be the point of putting it on there in the first place.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Crikey, how itchy are wool blankets???!!! Any advice for washing and softening them please?

As a fuller, you are expected to walk up and down all day in huge vats of stinking stale urine. The ammonia produced by the rotten wee may make your eyes water, but it creates the softest cloth by drawing out the grease (lanolin) from the wool. If you can dance up to your knees in urine for around two hours per length of cloth, you'll succeed in closing the fibres of the wool and interlocking them to produce cloth that is kind to the skin.

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/W/worstjobs/medieval.html

Fancy giving it a go? lol :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE