Wool Blanket Bush Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Over the past few weeks the Wife and I (mainly the wife) had a go at turning a blanket into a wool bush smock for a winter outing I had coming up.

It was a nice little journey to take together and work on a bushcraft project without be me hidden away in a shed or the garden.

The wife is very crafty with the sewing machine, however has never attempted to make any items of clothing.

If your on Instagram please go give my wife some love on her post of the smock, i would love he to know how proud I am of her skills and effort in this project - https://www.instagram.com/craft2cake/

We attempted to get everything we needed out of one blanket so this sometimes meant we had to change the design and be frugal with the material we had. It was always going be a long smock which took a lot of the material but we worked with it.

The first cuts
Wool-Bush-Smock-01.jpeg

I had to admit we made a mistake somehow after using an exisiting jacket as a template, so we had to add a extention panel to allow the smock to fit comfortably when sitting.
Wool-Bush-Smock-02.jpeg

The hood was a major pain the backside with off cuts we had, but we came up with this design which also incorporated the edging of the blanket. The hood was lined with fleece on the inside.
Wool-Bush-Smock-03.jpeg

The boss at work sewing in some cuffs.
Wool-Bush-Smock-04.jpeg

Wool-Bush-Smock-05.jpeg

The wife used her skills to add some finishing touches.
Wool-Bush-Smock-06.jpeg

As I said we tired to get all the part from the one blanket, but did not have enough for the pouch, however I had another old blanket that hasn't been used for years. Turns out it made a nice feature and as you will see later seems to go well with the overall look.
Wool-Bush-Smock-07.jpeg

Late nights on the sewing machine, which is why I am stood out side for some fittings... it was rather warm with it on sat in the house.
Wool-Bush-Smock-08.jpeg

some details
Wool-Bush-Smock-09.jpeg

Wool-Bush-Smock-10.jpeg

The smock was put to use last weekend on a weekend in the woods with minimal gear.
It kept me nice and warm over and played a big part in my sleep system in a natural debris shelter and fire.
Wool-Bush-Smock-11.jpeg

It was a great project and there are a few things I would change for version 2.

First two blankets would have made the job way easier and a lot less head scratching.

While I like how it came out I would change the hood design and incorporate some draw cords and a draw cord around the waist.

The wife wont let me use the new sewing machine, however I would like to get the old one out and have a go myself on the next project (with her guidance of course)

Finally I would add full length zips to the side, something I had planned on doing however we were running out of time and I had not sourced them before starting.

Great fun and a nice challenge. More to come I am sure.

ATB Tim

Oct 23, 2020
Dewsbury
That's really nice looking mate great job done by both of you, I've a dark green wool blanket to do the same with myself when I get around to it, I need more practice on the sewing machine.
If mine turns out half as good as yours I'll be happy and I plan to make some trousers too, we'll try anyway.

Nice project ATB Mick.

Reactions: Tank

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Over the past few weeks the Wife and I (mainly the wife) had a go at turning a blanket into a wool bush smock for a winter outing I had coming up.

It was a nice little journey to take together and work on a bushcraft project without be me hidden away in a shed or the garden.

The wife is very crafty with the sewing machine, however has never attempted to make any items of clothing.

If your on Instagram please go give my wife some love on her post of the smock, i would love he to know how proud I am of her skills and effort in this project - https://www.instagram.com/craft2cake/

We attempted to get everything we needed out of one blanket so this sometimes meant we had to change the design and be frugal with the material we had. It was always going be a long smock which took a lot of the material but we worked with it.

The first cuts
View attachment 72064

I had to admit we made a mistake somehow after using an exisiting jacket as a template, so we had to add a extention panel to allow the smock to fit comfortably when sitting.
View attachment 72065

The hood was a major pain the backside with off cuts we had, but we came up with this design which also incorporated the edging of the blanket. The hood was lined with fleece on the inside.
View attachment 72066

The boss at work sewing in some cuffs.
View attachment 72067

View attachment 72068

The wife used her skills to add some finishing touches.
View attachment 72069

As I said we tired to get all the part from the one blanket, but did not have enough for the pouch, however I had another old blanket that hasn't been used for years. Turns out it made a nice feature and as you will see later seems to go well with the overall look.
View attachment 72070

Late nights on the sewing machine, which is why I am stood out side for some fittings... it was rather warm with it on sat in the house.
View attachment 72071

some details
View attachment 72072

View attachment 72073

The smock was put to use last weekend on a weekend in the woods with minimal gear.
It kept me nice and warm over and played a big part in my sleep system in a natural debris shelter and fire.
View attachment 72074

It was a great project and there are a few things I would change for version 2.

First two blankets would have made the job way easier and a lot less head scratching.

While I like how it came out I would change the hood design and incorporate some draw cords and a draw cord around the waist.

The wife wont let me use the new sewing machine, however I would like to get the old one out and have a go myself on the next project (with her guidance of course)

Finally I would add full length zips to the side, something I had planned on doing however we were running out of time and I had not sourced them before starting.

Great fun and a nice challenge. More to come I am sure.

ATB Tim
Looks great and amazing for a first item of clothing!

I know what you mean about it being fun to have a project that you work on together like that.

Reactions: Tank

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
That's really nice looking mate great job done by both of you, I've a dark green wool blanket to do the same with myself when I get around to it, I need more practice on the sewing machine.
If mine turns out half as good as yours I'll be happy and I plan to make some trousers too, we'll try anyway.

Nice project ATB Mick.
Good luck with your project when you get around to it. the trousers sound an interesting idea for us to have a good with next (however maybe something less itchy :))

Reactions: Yorkshire Viking

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Looks great and amazing for a first item of clothing!

I know what you mean about it being fun to have a project that you work on together like that.
Its about the first time I have been moaned at for doing something "Bushcrafty" when there was still a list of jobs around the house that needed doing.

Reactions: SaraR

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE