Another Wool Blanket Bush Shirt (First attempt at machine sewing and clothing)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I like wearing wool and I finally got around to making a blanket shirt due to having Covid over New Year.

I watched a couple of Youtube videos for sizing and for ideas for features (gussets under the arm pits and across the neck opening are useful)

I had a qood quality old wool blanket -albeit cream with pink stripes- that I had bought a few years ago that had been used for camping, around the fire etc.

The blanket was a very convenient size for my fairly average height and arm width. I made a few estimates. For the hood, I took some rough measurements from a hooded top. The pocket was a scaled-up version of the one on a hoodie that my wife owns, with plenty of depth included.

The process involved re-commissioning a 1960s sewing machine that I had been given a few years ago, learning how it worked, setting it up, learning to use a sewing machine and repairing it as I went (I discovered a few issues with it -it was finally working well just before I finished making the garment).

I then dyed the wool brown with acid fixed dye.

After trying it out, I added a home-made wooden toggle across the hood under my chin and some leather drawstring locks

It fits me very well and I have been pleasantly surprised by how well it has turned out. It is quite warm too.

If I make another one, I may make the back a little longer.

ps. comments have been made about Jesus, Robin Hood and "Is this a medieval themed night?"

Last edited:

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Thanks all. The actual making was easier than expected.

The setting out and marking up took about an hour.

The stitching took a day, on and off, midday until about 1am.

The dyeing (in a big cooking pot borrowed from the Scout hut) , after washing, took about 2.5 hours of careful following of instructions , but it worked much better than I had expected it to.

There was a bit of fettling after my initial testing.

Had I been experienced with a sewing machine, and had a fully working machine, it would have been much quicker.

The next garment will be easier for me.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thats a lovely looking top - love the colour as well - do you remember the brand and name of colour please ?

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Thats a lovely looking top - love the colour as well - do you remember the brand and name of colour please ?
Thanks. I'm very pleased with the colour. I wasn't sure if there would be enough dye, but it is dark and mostly very even.

It was called "Acid Milling Dye 25g Packet for Wool/Silk/Nylon/Feathers" in Dark Brown.

Reactions: TeeDee

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
The wool blanket Bush shirt has performed really well when I've worn it. My wife and family have even become almost accepting of my "Jesus" or "Robin Hood" outfit.

The fit is really good and I like the fact that it works well and comfortably across a range of temperatures. I've worn it for hill walks, walks in the woods and Scout camps. With a thick wool jumper underneath it is warm and keeps the wind out.

The big pocket is very useful.

Reactions: John Fenna

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I have been wearing the home-made wool blanket bush shirt regularly, but it was excellent this weekend.

A cold weekend scout camp, the temperature was between 0 and 4DegC, but with the UK standard rain and damp/humidity it felt much colder, penetratingly so.

The bush shirt with a couple of thick wool jumpers and a shirt underneath worked really well and the blanket shirt stood up to everything, from carrying big logs, chopping wood, fire building, walking on the hills and climbing over fallen trees in the woods, cooking, sitting around the fire. (I did don a Goretex jacket when it rained) and even as a pillow.

The big kangaroo pocket comes in very useful, the breathability of the wool is superb.

The blanket bush shirt is a brilliant piece of clothing, even better for having made it myself.

The scouts don't comment on it either. They probably expect me to turn up with home made kit.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE