Woodsman bushcraft cookery day

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I recently went on a one day cookery course with Woodsman Bushcraft at a mixed private woodland of about 120 acres near Coventry. The Principal Instructor is Damian O'Toole. I have known Damian for over a year from meets at Rough Close etc.

The website is at:
http://woodsmanbushcraft.co.uk/index.php?id=1

I had been wanting to improve my woodland cooking abilities for some time and knew from my previous contact with Damian that he knew his stuff so I gave his one day course a go.

We covered:
  • setting up the cooking area
  • making basic tools etc for cooking eg tripod set up and pot hangers
  • 'log cabin' fire lay for cooking
  • food - nettle (plus vegetables) soup, smoked fish, para stew/casserole
We had intended to add a fourth course - being a sweet - but when we did a walk round the woods we found very little because of the wet summer. (I didn't fancy eating slugs - there were loads of them - I even found two during the night on my exped mat - which was on top of a camp bed - not something I have experienced before.) As it turned out I couldn't have eaten a sweet anyway as I was stuffed from the first three courses.

Here are a few pictures to give you a better idea of what we covered:

Tripod set up and pot hangers
CIMG6939.JPG

CIMG6952.JPG

The pot hangers can also be used to hook the lid off a Dutch oven.
initial fire lay
CIMG6935.JPG

For the fish I had to prepare it from scratch - spatchcock style. This was actually done in daylight - the use of flash for the next picture makes look as if it was night time.
CIMG6963.JPG

'
CIMG6965.JPG

I think it took about 2 hours for it to be ready - judged by looking at the flesh
CIMG6966.JPG

We used tree roots to hold the fish in place.

Some of these pictures also give you an idea of how great the wood is.

I haven't included any pictures of the para meat and veg stew because it wouldn't show you anything particular. But I cooked it again after I got back home and can strongly recommend Blue Monkey 'Guerilla' ale to drink with it.
In summary, a great day and I now feel a lot more confident about cooking proper food - as opposed to just packeted stuff - when out in the woods.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Para Stew?
blue monkey brewry does some good beers doesn't it
looks like a good course Elines thanks for sharing

For Para stew/casserole just read meat and veg stew/casserole - with quantities and type of meat/veg adapted to whatever you have to hand

Blue Monkey is my favourite brewery - ?tried their new Howler yet

Yes - very good course

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE