Woods that you love and hate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Holly is the traditional wood used for the "whips" used in the world of harness horses except when they're driven from the ground. It's an extremely strong and pliable, springy wood when well seasoned and cut at the correct time of year for this purpose. It was always used bark-on.

You'd look for straight-ish growth of about seven years of age, and the ideal would be 3/5ths of an inch diameter at the thick end of a four foot length tapering to 3/10ths of an inch at the other end; sticks would be cut over length and hung for two years or more by the thin end with as much as twenty pounds of weight attached to the other end, and the weight over that length of time seasoning would produce a stick which was perfectly straight and perfectly stable; it would break before taking a deformation. Much sought after are rabbit-bitten sticks and deer-bitten in the larger sizes, the scars from these wounds are extremely attractive on the seasoned bark. But the most sought-after of all are the "dog-legs" where the stick has a crank half way along it's length of no more than it's own width, and both halfs perfectly straight in themselves and in relation to each other. I've seen perfect examples of such stick blanks sell for very large sums of money.

After the straightening/seasoning the blannks would have a handle attached by various means, the stick would be stained/dyed/coloured and oiled and would then have the thong attached by butt-jointing to the tip, covered by a length of split goose quill glued in place with "scotch glue", and then a whipping twine applied about two or three inches either side of the exact spot where the leather thong abutted the stick tip; this place would be precisely marked by a very small knot in the whipping twine so it could be easily found. You'll see why really good hand-made Driving Whips can and do fetch huge sums of money, but the really good ones rarely come onto the market. :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I was thinking about the above post whilst walking the dog just now; if anybody has or finds a driving whip, I'd be very glad to see pictures of it/them :)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I emailed a link to this thread to my mate Paul of Ridgeway-Woodcraft he's ussually up to his elbows working in exotic woods shavings, he makes bowls, Chess sets, jewelry boxes, pens as well some other unique and quality stuff. (He's open for commission work too)... anyway, here's his reply which I thought could be a nice addition to this thread.

Hey mate,
I agree with some of the comments... Any wood is good in the right application and worked the right way with the right tools. The skill is getting all those planets to align.

If I'd written something I'd have to include the following:

Sycamore - as beautiful as maple, but much easier to work with and a lot cheaper.
Plum - Amazing red to pink grain, but difficult or impossible to source.
Laburnum - Fantastically beautiful grain with a unique, almost sulphurous colour and dark streaks towards the centre of the tree.
Padauk - Such a beautiful firey colour when first cut, but extremely disappointing when it darkens down after exposure to light.
Pau Amerello - Lovely lemon yellow and straight grain.
Olive - The best, but very expensive.
Cherry - Rick golden honey colour when polished.

I could go on, but these are my favourites.

Laters

Paul

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I emailed a link to this thread to my mate Paul of Ridgeway-Woodcraft he's ussually up to his elbows working in exotic woods shavings, he makes bowls, Chess sets, jewelry boxes, pens as well some other unique and quality stuff. (He's open for commission work too)... anyway, here's his reply which I thought could be a nice addition to this thread.

Hey mate,
I agree with some of the comments... Any wood is good in the right application and worked the right way with the right tools. The skill is getting all those planets to align.

If I'd written something I'd have to include the following:

Sycamore - as beautiful as maple, but much easier to work with and a lot cheaper.
Plum - Amazing red to pink grain, but difficult or impossible to source.
Laburnum - Fantastically beautiful grain with a unique, almost sulphurous colour and dark streaks towards the centre of the tree.
Padauk - Such a beautiful firey colour when first cut, but extremely disappointing when it darkens down after exposure to light.
Pau Amerello - Lovely lemon yellow and straight grain.
Cherry - Rick golden honey colour when polished.

I could go on, but these are my favourites.

Laters

Paul
The elm lamps he turned for us are still looking brilliant.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury

Paul

Paul makes some lovely things judging by that link, thanks for posting it. I have always been surprised at the cost of olive wood bowl blanks etc as a lot of it usually gets used as firewood in places where it grows, I did make a rocking chair out of what we had in our olive groves and some bits from a friendly local while in Crete for a customer, hate to think what it would cost to make today.

rocking%2520olive.jpg

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE