Woodlore 30th Anniversary Stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Darn it - I am not even sure I can afford the Mora!
How badly does the engraving weaken the blade?
I removes metal right?

Aw cummon! You thought I was serious?

:lmao: ...but I do think they use the word 'engraved' liberally on the website. Doesn't it mean 'cut into the surface'. I think the markings on 'Rays' Moras are more 'etched' from the ones I have held - I'm happy to stand corrected.

More to the point 'Happy Woodlore Birthday' to Uncle Ray and the gang - 30 years promoting bushcraft is worth celebrating.

goodjob

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Using anniversaries to increase sales, an old but effective marketing technique. I wonder if they'll have 31st anniversary, 31 is a much more interesting number than 30.

From Wikipedia:

Thirty-one is the third Mersenne prime ( 2[SUP]5[/SUP] - 1 ) as well as the fourth primorial prime, and together with twenty-nine, another primorial prime, it comprises a twin prime. As a Mersenne prime, 31 is related to the perfect number 496, since 496 = 2[SUP]5 - 1[/SUP] ( 2[SUP]5[/SUP] - 1). 31 is the eighth Mersenne prime exponent. 31 is also the 4th lucky prime and the 11th supersingular prime.
31 is a centered triangular number, a centered pentagonal number and centered decagonal number.
For the Steiner tree problem, 31 is the number of possible Steiner topologies for Steiner trees with 4 terminals.
At 31, the Mertens function sets a new low of -4, a value which is not subceded until 110.

31 is a centered pentagonal number

No integer added up to its base 10 digits results in 31, making 31 a self number.
31 is a repdigit in base 5 (111), and base 2 (11111).

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
If a Stephen Wade Cox, admittedly a 'limited edition' one, now commands £450, I wonder what the price would be if Alan Wood was making it...?

Stuff the prices - they're only numbers after all! The fact that he and his outfit have inspired so many to go down that bushcraft route over the last 30 years is a cause for celebration!

I'm happy with the rehandled one done by Chad. :)

swcantler7.jpg

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
I'm curious, what makes a Woodlore knife worth £450?
Is it the materials, the quality of the 01 tool steel compared to say that of a wright and son of sheffield 01 tool steel?
Is it just the fact that it's a Woodlore?
Is it the maker, SWC?
Is that its a limited edition or that like the standard Woodlore it will become a collectors item?

I understand that something is worth what people are willing to pay and i'm a big fan of Ray Mears, so this isn't a rant or moan. If i had £450 to spend on a knife, i may well consider this one. (i haven't by the way)

I simply want to know what makes it so good?

Thanks
here here"" well said waste of money theres knives as good if not better for less uncle ray just taking his cut

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
+1 to celebrating all RM has done to promote Bushcraft. We can do without another Woodlore/RM 'is it worth it' flame war so lets try and focus on the positive things that RM has brought us.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
I wonder, if the discussion was the about the quality and function of a Gerber multi tool relative to its price. Would this raise the same support for the manufacturer. At the start of this thread i asked questions about the quaility of the steel etc. This wasn't a slight on Ray Mears, Woodlore, SWC or the contribution they've had to bushcraft. I just wanted to know if it was better than the steel in a cheaper knife that is also sold with an 01 tool steel blade.
For the record I doubt I or many others would be involved in bushcraft without Ray Mears and for that i'm greatful. But If i was buying a knife, i would still ask questions about it's quality regardless of who was selling it or it's price.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
At the start of this thread i asked questions about the quaility of the steel ... I just wanted to know if it was better than the steel in a cheaper knife that is also sold with an 01 tool steel blade.
If i was buying a knife, i would still ask questions about it's quality regardless of who was selling it or it's price.

This does seem entirely reasonable to me. I am waiting for a knife to be finished for me. I quizzed the maker about the expense of it and, in particular, whether the 01 steel that he was using was especially good. I had a very full breakdown of the cost of the materials for the knife and it seems that not all 01 steels are equal. The maker said that he sources his in Germany because the material is a higher quality and significantly more consistent than other 01s he's tried from other sources around the world. I have to assume that he's right as I'm sure I couldn't tell the difference and that involves me trusting him and his judgement. Nevertheless, it seems that any maker worth his salt should be totally candid about materials and costs; it helps to build the trust and so the relationship between to two parties.

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
This does seem entirely reasonable to me. I am waiting for a knife to be finished for me. I quizzed the maker about the expense of it and, in particular, whether the 01 steel that he was using was especially good......

Thankyou :)

Flaxton

Jun 21, 2012
United Kingdom
Got myself the Mora for the collection.

RM is a brand and as a brand he can charge a premium because he is at the 'luxury' end of bushcraft. It will be a nice knife, but not for use IMHO, it's one for a collector, kept in its box. Unlike some celebrity brands (I mean popstars doing perfumes and clothing) he really knows his stuff, I've seen him knock out a perfect flint axe head in about 30 minutes.

Well done Woodlore for 30 years of raising awareness and bringing people into the hobby/interest/lifestyle.

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
Got myself the Mora for the collection.

RM is a brand and as a brand he can charge a premium because he is at the 'luxury' end of bushcraft. It will be a nice knife, but not for use IMHO, it's one for a collector, kept in its box. Unlike some celebrity brands (I mean popstars doing perfumes and clothing) he really knows his stuff, I've seen him knock out a perfect flint axe head in about 30 minutes.

Well done Woodlore for 30 years of raising awareness and bringing people into the hobby/interest/lifestyle.
who on earth wants a flint axe head ask lofty wiseman what he thinks of RM and he really did write the book

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
who on earth wants a flint axe head ask lofty wiseman what he thinks of RM and he really did write the book

Quite a few of us would love to own a handmade flint axe

Leave the trolling out please, the RM profiteering thing has been done to death on here, usually leading to the thread being closed.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Me. I'd love to be able to knock an accurate and well made flint axe head out in a week, let alone 30 minutes. That really takes some skills.

treetop57

Forager
Sep 1, 2012
dumfrieshire
Quite a few of us would love to own a handmade flint axe

Leave the trolling out please, the RM profiteering thing has been done to death on here, usually leading to the thread being closed.
how am i trolling the question was if a woodlore knife was worth the money or something like that so just becouse RM can make a flint axe head in 30 mins dosnt meen the price go's up do's it

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just got me thinking now and I rekon I would kill for an authentic paleo mint Langsdale axe head.

Treetop, there have been a whole bunch of threads on "Would you pay 400 for a ray knife" "Is this RM knife better than any other knife" etc etc.
They all end up down the same thread cul-de-sac that ends simply. You either would or would not pay for the tool.
My little lad does some pretty "abstract" paintings that are priceless to me. You see some shocking stuff in a Turner gallery that sell for hundred of thousands of pounds.
There are amazing local artists who`s work sell for nothing.
Does not mean any one of them have any more worth than the other..

Anyways who had the greenstone axe head and where do you live? More importantly when are you out of the house?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
how am i trolling the question was if a woodlore knife was worth the money or something like that so just becouse RM can make a flint axe head in 30 mins dosnt meen the price go's up do's it

Read both your posts in this thread and tell me you're not trolling

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE