Woodland Edge stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Isn't that 2 kilos all in? You could probably do away with some of the extra bits if you were backpacking I'd imagine, not sure how much that would lower the weight by though...

I'll let you know when mine arrives!

I guess that's an all in weight.

Still seems a bit over priced to me for what it is. Personally I'll be following Scoops and making my own at some point (have a variant designed already) but no problem for those who don't want to do that.

I must admit I like the fold away legs that got added - a quick and easy way to raise it.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I got my stove in the first group buy. I haven't used it a lot because of lack of spare time etc. However when I have used it it has been effective.

I usually use it in conjunction with a small Kelly Kettle (much more efficient for boiling water).

It was a big move for me from MSR petrol stoves to wood burning stoves but I haven't looked back. I tend to carry a small amount of prepared tinder and kindling. I often use it when I am at work and when I want fire it is less effort than finding all of the constituent parts.

When I have used it it has fitted together well, it's bag stores it well and keeps the rest of the kit in the box clean. The finish of the stove is a pleasure to behold.

If I was being picky I would have a niggle about the weight, as I usually car camp this is not such an issue. I understand the need to use material thick enough not to warp when used with hot burning woods and charcoal etc.

I could have a bit of a moan about how long it takes to cool down, then I maybe shouldn't be in such a hurry :eek:

For me it is an absolute luxury, I figure that I work hard so I deserve nice things:D . Cheap hobo type stoves will do the same job for next to nothing but they will not make you smile as much.

One of the most important things is how much fun it is in use, you can stoke it up well and really get it booting out some heat! It keeps you occupied when it is in use, similar to the Kelly Kettle.

I will not forget having a steaming hot mug of tea from the Kelly and a mince pie warmed on the top plate of the fire box when I was surveying on a cold day just before Christmas :D

Hope this helps.

Stewey.:D

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I got my stove in the first group buy. I haven't used it a lot because of lack of spare time etc. However when I have used it it has been effective.

I usually use it in conjunction with a small Kelly Kettle (much more efficient for boiling water).

It was a big move for me from MSR petrol stoves to wood burning stoves but I haven't looked back. I tend to carry a small amount of prepared tinder and kindling. I often use it when I am at work and when I want fire it is less effort than finding all of the constituent parts.

When I have used it it has fitted together well, it's bag stores it well and keeps the rest of the kit in the box clean. The finish of the stove is a pleasure to behold.

If I was being picky I would have a niggle about the weight, as I usually car camp this is not such an issue. I understand the need to use material thick enough not to warp when used with hot burning woods and charcoal etc.

I could have a bit of a moan about how long it takes to cool down, then I maybe shouldn't be in such a hurry :eek:

For me it is an absolute luxury, I figure that I work hard so I deserve nice things:D . Cheap hobo type stoves will do the same job for next to nothing but they will not make you smile as much.

One of the most important things is how much fun it is in use, you can stoke it up well and really get it booting out some heat! It keeps you occupied when it is in use, similar to the Kelly Kettle.

I will not forget having a steaming hot mug of tea from the Kelly and a mince pie warmed on the top plate of the fire box when I was surveying on a cold day just before Christmas :D

Hope this helps.

Stewey.:D

Now thats the answer.....Well put Stu:You_Rock_

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
With all the comments about weight I had to look up the weight - 2kg! I'm surprised as I was worried that a new stove I've got coming that is half that would be too heavy. :D

My original only weighs 600g. The WE version is made of significantly thicker material. This prevents warping which mine does do on occasion, but my opinion is the weight penalty is too high. I'm still using my original and when it does warp it's easy to straighten when cool either by bending it or by putting on a flat surface and stamping on it.

When I put my design together I was thinking particularly about making something for long distance backpacking away from fuel shops that was both indestructible and airline friendly. As someone has said, the 'stove' allows you to have a contained fire where one might otherwise not be allowed. There is nothing to break. My version weighs less than a conventional stove with fuel. If you light it with a firesteel, it can be used pretty much indefinitely without need to resupply.

Scoops

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
My original only weighs 600g. The WE version is made of significantly thicker material. This prevents warping which mine does do on occasion, but my opinion is the weight penalty is too high. I'm still using my original and when it does warp it's easy to straighten when cool either by bending it or by putting on a flat surface and stamping on it.

When I put my design together I was thinking particularly about making something for long distance backpacking away from fuel shops that was both indestructible and airline friendly. As someone has said, the 'stove' allows you to have a contained fire where one might otherwise not be allowed. There is nothing to break. My version weighs less than a conventional stove with fuel. If you light it with a firesteel, it can be used pretty much indefinitely without need to resupply.

Scoops

600g now thats a manageable weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE