Woodland Edge stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Some months ago several of us on here purchased collapsible stoves from Woodland Edge. How is everyone getting on with theirs? I recently added the new legs and they have made a difference. I'm still really pleased with mine and it is my stove of choice.:D

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I get on very well with mine. I used it exclusively at the last Delamere meet with no hassles.
i find a 1pt Kelly kettle fits into the base nicely. I use that to get a brew on and at the same time get a good ember bed to start the firebox cooking.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I use mine fair bit both when out solo and when i larger groups and there just isnt room round the fire for everyone to cook, its certainly no longer nice and shiney like it was when I first got it.

Love it, think its a great adaptation of a great design. Very well made and strong long lasting materials.

Rarely do I not pack it now.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I must admit that at first I thought the legs looked like they might be a bit flimsy and springy but I was wrong, once on I was impressed by just how solid and stable it was, a well worth it extra in my opinion.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
it's been a few months since this post, can i ask the guy's who have these stoves do they still rate them highly, i am keen to find out if they are still going strong, any faults developed with them etc and most importantly do you think they are worth the £72 price tag.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I have used mine a lot since I got it, both in my garden here and on long canoe trips. I have, by and large, only good things to say about it. The one criticism would be that it can be a bit fiddley to put together, especially if your hands are cold. It has kept me warm in windy/wet conditions just outside my tent and I have used all sorts of fuel in it, wood/bark/cones/charcoal, even coal and it has always served me well. One of its great advantages is that it uses less fuel than a fire ir some of the larger stoves I've used.

It is a bit on the heavy side to carry around, being make of stainless steel, so it is more suited to a base/canoe or car camping situation than backpacking. I have used it most often with the grid top, rather than the solid top and chimney as I feel the heat gets out and to your cooking more easily. Derek at Woodland Edge assure me that all parts are replaceable should you loose any.

Is it worth the money? That's a question that's difficult to answer. For me the answer is yes as I think I will get my money's worth out of it as I use it a lot. If you only intend to use it on high days and holidays then possibly not. However, for me, it certainly does what it says on the tin.

Hope this reply helps.:D

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
thanks for that fred, i have been tempted to get one since i saw graham s with his at delamere, what attracted me was the idea of the top plate for using with my stainless mug, just to boil water for a brew and not getting the mug covered in soot and resin, i will consider all the points you made and see if i still want one after christmas ( i proberbly will), just a thought, do bcuk members get any discount on woodland edge gear ?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would recommend them too, though when I saw Andyn testing the prototype at Swyns woods, I really did not like it. The 12cm billy (which it was designed for) would not fit properly into it and we had to use a 10 cm, but that seemed to takes ages to boil water.
It has all been sorted to take the 12cm billy..
Yes the initial outlay seems a lot of money, but consider that you will never have to buy fuel for it and it should last for many many years.
A good investment me thinks..
I must get round to ordering me the legs for mine...

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I like mine a lot for car use or short day trips or in a bicycle pannier. It is too heavy for longer trips on foot. With the legs, I've used it loads (having sought permission on the basis that it is not really an open fire) in places where a fire would not normally be allowed, which is its huge advantage I think. It is bomb proof, will outlast me I am sure. Chris

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've used mine a number of times and have found it to be very good. You do have to be around for most of the time to keep it stoked up and burning merrily but then you would probably want to do similar with an open fire. With the legs (an essential extra!) it saves a lot of time in the morning after not having to cover up the fire scar. It is heavy though - I do think twice before putting it in my rucksack. Generally, I'm satisfied: it's a well thought out and well made piece of kit.:)

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Just out of curiosity with something that weighs 2 kilo's is it really worth the money and extra weight for what is essentially a bonfire in a metal box.
I know it can help minimize ground scaring by fire but if a fire is constructed and extinguished right you wouldn't know it had been there either.
This post is not a criticism to manufacturers or people who have purchased them.
I just personally think it is one of those shiny gimmicks which really is not necessary.:confused:

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I just personally think it is one of those shiny gimmicks which really is not necessary.:confused:

Hey Joker, you're right, a metal box would do in many ways, but if we all bought stuff purely on the basis that it was strictly necessary, life would be very boring. I like the aesthetics of this stove - it is well made, packs up very small, invokes curiosity, is fun to use, and is specifically designed to work with other things I own. On those criteria alone I regard it as a very good buy. Oh, and it burns wood and stuff efficiently too! Chris

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
The reason I'm getting one is to allow me fires in areas they normally aren't allowed. I get precious few opportunities to get out and about so, I'm keen to make the most of them. Do any of use truly need one, no but that could be said for alot of our kit....

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
The reason I'm getting one is to allow me fires in areas they normally aren't allowed. I get precious few opportunities to get out and about so, I'm keen to make the most of them. Do any of use truly need one, no but that could be said for alot of our kit....

Good point..........Ya see don't ask you'll never know.

Do they take long to cool down?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
With all the comments about weight I had to look up the weight - 2kg! I'm surprised as I was worried that a new stove I've got coming that is half that would be too heavy. :D

So who's making a Ti version?

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Isn't that 2 kilos all in? You could probably do away with some of the extra bits if you were backpacking I'd imagine, not sure how much that would lower the weight by though...

I'll let you know when mine arrives!

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Mine's going to be to bring into Hex when out, and the radiating heat off it to get me to sleep on nights like these!! Not too bothered about weight, more size, so great to be flatpacked.
:thinkerg:
Oh, also to cook on at no fire sites.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE