wood gas stove pellets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as stated above, who uses the pressed cat litter pellets for the wood gas stove and where do you get them from more to the point, how much do they cost and what burn times do you get with them, full chamber half and quarter full too, any clues gents...:):):):)

many thanks all.

chris.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I tried them just for fun. A bag from Poundland costs...a pound :) You want the recycled wood type. They can be difficult to get going but a dod of Hexi or fire lighter sorts that out. I only tried it once but around a 1/3-1/2 a fill gave me about 25 mins of fire time, using the Wild Woodgas stove.

I found it pretty pointless for cooking for one or just heating basic food stuffs. If cooking proper like stews etc from scratch then it would be useful I suppose.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
how do you tell what they are as in if i went to tesco does it say made from wood on the bag???

its only for brews but thought it would be better then constantly adding fuel to my home made wood gas stove, i know its harder to light but i just use a cotton wool ball filled with wax or Vaseline, add some bark or pine resin in location, i always have matches and the cotton wool balls with me...:)

thanks for the fast response dave.

regards.

chris.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
The ones I bought stated recycled wood on the bag. They're honestly not worth bothering with just for a brew mate. That's my opinion anyway. Try them and see for yourself. At a pound a bag it isn't an expensive experiment.

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
I've used them in my Kelly kettle just to use the blooming things up - got them from the RSPCA when we picked up our kittens, on their recommendation (RSPCA not the kitten's) but as they'd been fostered they were already used to using the usual stuff. Hence the wood pellets were kicked all over the floor and the kittens used the pot plants and the lounge windowsill the first night.... No useful info to share on the efficiency for stove use, they did burn but I bunged a load of green wood shavings in too. The water boiled if that helps :lmao:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I use Easibed equine bedding. Its £6 for a 20kg bale. Its chips not pellets but works well in my DIY wood gas stove.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I would say for the cost of a couple of quid buy a 5kilo bag and give them a try.
I got the ones from morrisons in a green bag and like them. Once you get past the lighting of them they are great.
Also the fact that they burn away to nothing is a bonus when it comes to clearing up.
A 1/3 fill will get you a brew and keep the water warm enough to wash your mug afterwards easily.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Too much like hard work for a brew, at the end of the day if you can light a fire them using twigs in a wood gas will not be a problem.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
As others have said a bit of a pain for just making a brew but good for cooking a decent meal due to the long burn time.

I have been getting about 35 minutes from a 2/3's fill which is more than enough for pasta or rehydrated meals for frying some eggs and bacon.

Whatever you do don't try putting them out with water as you end up with what looks like a sawdust soufflé .... Ahem so I have heard! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE