Wood for carving advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 29, 2010
Scotland
Hi
Can anyone tell me what Willow wood is like for carving?
got access to quite a lot of it just now.

Also I've whittled from silver birch before so I know I can work with that.
But what are other woods like? are there ones which are better to work with?

Thanks

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The willow family is very broad and variable but most carve well so long as you have nice clean grained sections. Ideal wood for learning spoon or bowl carving. A bit on the soft side for eating spoons but makes excellent cooking spoons.

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Like woodspirit said, lime wood is good for a beginner as it is easy to carve and normally has a very good grain.

But to some extent it depends what your wanting to do. Is it a sculpture or like said something like a bowl or spoon?

Dec 29, 2010
Scotland
Hi
Thanks for posting back.
Think I'll be trying some of the wood spirits mentioned in a recent post and want to do some little mother earth goddess things too.
small at first but maybe larger later... did fancy a try at a bowl or spoon too, but I think that will have to wait till later.
Find my feet first.
Don't have any lime around us here, but do have plenty of good willow and should be able to get Hawthorn too.
BTW we got handfasted under a Hawthorn so it'd be kind of cool to work with that for sentimental reasons :)
thanks for info

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i recently scaled a knife with hawthorn root,...

a tad plain but nice enough to work,...

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
For bowl or spoon carving Willow will be ok, it can split though so be carefull when carving bowls from it.
For the Wood Spirit carving Ash is really good when seasoned or you could try Hazel, which will carve well seasoned or green.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I have been getting into carving myself and played around with Willow a bit very nice to work with just make sure your blades are kept nice and sharp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE