Wood ear mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I've seen a few internet comments that Jelly/Judas Ear is that fondest of terms a Superfood - meaning I guess that rather than the tasteless piece of crackly shoe leather I've experienced it may actually contain some reasonable level of nutrients

Any one know if there have been a study of what micronutrients different Fungi offer?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
I've seen a few internet comments that Jelly/Judas Ear is that fondest of terms a Superfood - meaning I guess that rather than the tasteless piece of crackly shoe leather I've experienced it may actually contain some reasonable level of nutrients

Any one know if there have been a study of what micronutrients different Fungi offer?
There are many internet claims, not all of them turn out to be true.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
There are many internet claims, not all of them turn out to be true.

Yep - I do agree. Always useful to do some due diligence research - of which this is part of.
It very popular in Asian cuisine and said to have medicinal benefits.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Yep - I do agree. Always useful to do some due diligence research - of which this is part of.
It very popular in Asian cuisine and said to have medicinal benefits.
They also claim powdered rhino horn has "medicinal benefits" in parts of Asia.

Genuinely though, it is wise to be wary of overdoing your intake of wild fungi from these islands, their vast (sometimes measured in square miles) network of mycelia is very good at absorbing all sorts of heavy metal and pollutants. The country was liberally drenched in radioactive fallout after Chernobyl and a lot of that still persists as well, even the remotest areas were affected.

A little every now and then is probably fine but if you are expecting health benefits you may get more than you appear to be bargaining for.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know ? I hadn't considered that @Tantalus

We know to be careful about where we gather reedmace because it accretes heavy metal in it's roots, but I don't think I'd ever heard that about fungi.....well apart from the arguement about eating chicken of the woods growing on Yew.

Interesting topic though, and I wonder how much of an issue it is ?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Not really trying to alarm, just suggesting that being sensible is wise.

A transatlantic flight for example gives a dose of radiation that a working radiographer would suit up for.

Once in a while is probably fine (just like the occasional x-ray) but don't go overdoing things.

Reactions: Robbi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE