Wood ear mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I walk past wood ears alltime but today decided to pick some had a idea to soak them in lemon juice n do a soup il let you know how it goes .

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I walk past wood ears alltime but today decided to pick some had a idea to soak them in lemon juice n do a soup il let you know how it goes .

Do you mean Jelly Ear (Judas's Ear, or Jew's Ear) (Auricularia auricula-judae) I've never heard them called Wood Ear in the UK, but I accept that may just be a regional thing.

I've eaten them a number of times. Not a lot of taste but they add texture to things like stir fries etc. However, be very careful how you cook them. You need to slice them up because they're an air sack that bursts when the air inside expands and will throw boiling oil or water all over you kitchen.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wood ears, or tree ears are some of the names often taught to children these days. Jelly ears is the other I know of. In other parts of the world their name translates to wood ears though.

I like them. I do as Broch says though and slice them up. I generally fry them and add them to stews or stir fries. It's just a mushroomy unami kind of taste with a lot of texture :)
If you've found them on a tree, it's worth coming back and looking again. They'll keep growing there until they've exhausted their source of nutrients.

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
. In other parts of the world their name translates to wood ears though.

How so? auricula = ear, judae = judas
Wood Ear is not listed under Philips or our own Dann or Collins or any of the other references I have. We never called it Wood Ear when I lived in Yorkshire either.
Please, please, when we are recommending plants and fungi to eat or consume can we use the Latin names - I don't care what colloquial name is used in addition :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To most the Latin name is unrecognisible. It means nothing but a confusion.
The common and colloquial names are both descriptive and familiar. Jelly ears ? that works.

As for the other 'traditional' names, including the latin one in this case, they're offensive, and I am not going into a rant about just how so. You're all adults and well able to read the history. Society is really trying to move on from religious and racist bigotry, and children know that, indeed they're the ones who will call you out on it.

"It should be noted that the ‘jelly’ fungusAuricularia auricula-judae, not included in the ‘cup’ group, is known as ‘Jelly Ear’ and the white-spored agaric, Pseudoclitocybe cyathiformis is named ‘Goblet’. "

Perfectly acceptable :)

As for Wood Ears....

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Do you mean Jelly Ear (Judas's Ear, or Jew's Ear) (Auricularia auricula-judae) I've never heard them called Wood Ear in the UK, but I accept that may just be a regional thing.

I've eaten them a number of times. Not a lot of taste but they add texture to things like stir fries etc. However, be very careful how you cook them. You need to slice them up because they're an air sack that bursts when the air inside expands and will throw boiling oil or water all over you kitchen.
I’m soaking them in lemon juice overnight Iv chopped them finely I’m thinking putting them in polish betroot n garlic soup.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry, @Toddy, but I respectfully disagree on two fronts:

A) the name Jeudas's Ear is not anti-semantic or insulting to any religion (neither is the shortened version to be honest). It grossly diminishes anti-prejudicial work and efforts when trivial rants are quoted and slated as being offensive. I was at a seminar recently when a very well-known UK conservationist complained about this and this very species. I would not give a fig if it was called a 'Welshman's ear' or a 'Taff's ear'.
B) The same species of plants and fungi are known throughout the UK and the world by different common names - that's confusing. On top of that, the same common name is used for several species even within the UK in some cases; that's dangerously confusing. If people are not prepared to be specific and quote the unique Latin names, then they shouldn't recommend or discuss eating or consuming plants and fungi. It's fine to add their preferred colloquial name.

As for the quoted Dried Wood Ear Mushrooms advert, do you know what species that is? If the best referential texts in the UK don't call it Wood Ear, I really cannot see a logical argument for doing so.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
How so? auricula = ear, judae = judas
Wood Ear is not listed under Philips or our own Dann or Collins or any of the other references I have. We never called it Wood Ear when I lived in Yorkshire either.
Please, please, when we are recommending plants and fungi to eat or consume can we use the Latin names - I don't care what colloquial name is used in addition :)
I’m only calling them wood ears cos the word Jews ears offends some people due to political correctness in the U.K. .

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Sorry, @Toddy, but I respectfully disagree on two fronts:

A) the name Jeudas's Ear is not anti-semantic or insulting to any religion (neither is the shortened version to be honest). It grossly diminishes anti-prejudicial work and efforts when trivial rants are quoted and slated as being offensive. I was at a seminar recently when a very well-known UK conservationist complained about this and this very species. I would not give a fig if it was called a 'Welshman's ear' or a 'Taff's ear'.
B) The same species of plants and fungi are known throughout the UK and the world by different common names - that's confusing. On top of that, the same common name is used for several species even within the UK in some cases; that's dangerously confusing. If people are not prepared to be specific and quote the unique Latin names, then they shouldn't recommend or discuss eating or consuming plants and fungi. It's fine to add their preferred colloquial name.

As for the quoted Dried Wood Ear Mushrooms advert, do you know what species that is? If the best referential texts in the UK don't call it Wood Ear, I really cannot see a logical argument for doing so.
I still call them Jews ears just not on public groups I got banned off a foraging group on fb for calling them Jews ears so now I call them wood ears to not upset the political correct mob ect

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, I disagree.

The name was deliberately offensive then and is now.

The original Hag in the Tree was considered Pagan, and that and the Roman and Medieval punishment of ear removal, were conflated and today we're still stuck with Victorian aged Latin naming.

Funny how when anyone else brings up the Wood or Jelly ears though the demand for the Latin is always added to by giving the offensive name too.

Call it wood ears as it's known in areas where it is widely eaten as part of the normal diet, or jelly ears, as suggested by the British Mycological Society itself.

It's an old arguement, and it's tedious arguing with dinosaurs ;) The kids call them jelly ears.

Anyhow, as food, I quite like them. It's a familiar and easily found fungi. It's plentiful around here, it'll even grow on the stacked branches in my woodpile.
It's a kind of unami type flavour, a soft savoury kind of thing, but I really like the texture among my veggies.

M

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I hate "political correctness" they were Jews Ears when I was a kid and so I still call them that - a fair use of the translation of the official "latin" name.... they still are not worth cooking or eating unless you are REALLY hungry!
I need to be shown how to deal with them because otherwise I just agree with you John. Thinly sliced and added to other food - might as well just put some elastic bands in there!

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Funnily enough some friends cooked me a Chinese the other week, which included the very similar cloud ear Auricularia cornea. Couldn't tell them apart by taste as there's no taste. Same texture too. They can be found in Chinese supermarkets. I got a bit excited and went on about elder and Auricularia auricula-judae. I was met with generally blank expressions, as is often the case.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I call the oriental dried fungi wood ears and I think they are very nice in a stir fry, especially a vegetarian stir fry as they add a good texture.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Haven't they got alleged medicinal properties?

Assuming we're talking about Auricularia auricula-judae, quite extensive uses claimed - not sure about efficacy though. There was some subjective research recently; I'll have to see if I can find it again.

Edit:
here's one text

Last edited:

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Assuming we're talking about Auricularia auricula-judae, quite extensive uses claimed - not sure about efficacy though. There was some subjective research recently; I'll have to see if I can find it again.

Edit:
here's one text
Interesting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE