Winter coat needs to quiet, cover my backside and have pockets for binoculars and map

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi,
At the moment I am using a waterproof goretex type when out in the woods. Its really noisy so scares the critters away with its rustling and velcro. I get a wet butt if I sit anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can get a silent jacket that covers the backside and has pockets large enough for binoculars, map and bits and bobs.

RM's swazi looks grand but well out of my price leauge. SAS smock looks good also but not sure if silent and has the pockets and bum coverage needed.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
The M65 jacket (US) has quite some following in the ranks. IIRC it comes with a button in winterlayer. Or just layer up with normal clothing if it doesn't ;)

If we had prices for thread titles, you would have won for having the one with most words (had to rephrase that as it wasn't forumsuitable ;)).

Goodluck with your search!

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Hi,
At the moment I am using a waterproof goretex type when out in the woods. Its really noisy so scares the critters away with its rustling and velcro. I get a wet butt if I sit anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can get a silent jacket that covers the backside and has pockets large enough for binoculars, map and bits and bobs.

RM's swazi looks grand but well out of my price leauge. SAS smock looks good also but not sure if silent and has the pockets and bum coverage needed.

The swazi would have been ideal for you I think, but is limited on the pockets and is very expensive. I paid £180 for mine but that was quite a long time ago, since Mr Mears has been wearing one the price has increased significantly. I would probably reconmend the SASS Ranger smock, in won't be waterproof on the seat but has a poacher style pocket in the seat so you could put a sit mat or kip mat foam in there and have a waterproof/insulated seat wherever you choose to park.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
IMG00055-20091222-1331.jpg

Spotted in a trendy "vintage" clothing shop back in December just off of Shaftsbury Avenue.

Can't see if that is £255 or £355!

Cheers

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
fella the coat you need is the US army surpless antartic winter parker jacket its the muts nuts and available from

individuality in leeds or a surpless shop also now then the pockets are mint and the seat is perfect for me but i am a 10 stone racing snake so it might not work for you

drew

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
How's about this?...lol...genuine swedish army coat from ww2....Warm, very heavy and issue blanket lined. the sherman tank o' bushcraft clothing!.:lmao::lmao:
Jacketfront1.jpg

Jacketinside.jpg

Jacketrear.jpg

Currently for sale for 80 notes. :)

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Paramo Pajaro/Halcon jacket is specifically designed for carrying gear around, loads of pockets and reasonably silent, quite pricey though!

Jimny

Dec 5, 2009
Under my hat and in my coat
I can thoughroughly recommend the Jack Pyke Hunters Jacket. The material is silent, waterproof and windproof. It has a fold down section to sit on which is waterproof that is part of the back of the jacket, 3 zips hold it up for normal use. 5 pockets. Available in English Oak camo or olive green. Shop around, they vary in price from £50 -£75. Hope this helps

atb Dave

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Went for the jack pike one. It will be really nice walking about without sounding like a bag of crisps.

Thanks for your help. Vivvien westwoods Hudson bay period coat was out of my budget but sure looks bushy!

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i have a brand new us army artic parker
its quiet poly cotton
has a hood and button in liner
has wool lined pockets and its long in the back so you can sit on it
its a size extra small but it is meant to fit over all your clothes inc m65 jacket and webbing so if worn with normal cloths comes in at about a small to small medium if you have short arms

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE