Winter coat needs to quiet, cover my backside and have pockets for binoculars and map

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pwb

I recently bought a Seeland Lingfield jacket and so far think it's great.

Certainly quiet and waterproof, loads better than my old issue type goretex, and as far as length it reaches just below my backside.

Has two large lower pockets, two roomy hand warmer type pockets and one smaller pocket on the front.

lingfield_7_1.jpg
lingfield_8.JPG

Pete.

Last edited:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I actually found the opposite myself. Being a thoroughbred racing snake my mac cruiser (wool) is a 36, which despite being my 'correct' size I find to be just a little snug at times when buttoned up. I just got a tin cruiser, but a 38 this time, which fits perfect.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I recently bought a Seeland Lingfield jacket and so far think it's great.

Certainly quiet and waterproof, loads better than my old issue type goretex, and as far as length it reaches just below my backside.

Has two large lower pockets, two roomy hand warmer type pockets and one smaller pocket on the front.

Pete.

How do you find the Seetex Pete ? I've looked at the Seeland stuff loads over the years but never taken the plunge.
Is it all made by Harkila or is it a totally different manufacturer ?

pwb

How do you find the Seetex Pete ? I've looked at the Seeland stuff loads over the years but never taken the plunge.
Is it all made by Harkila or is it a totally different manufacturer ?

Not had it long Rich, so far I like it. The Seetex is perhaps not as breathable as I would like ,not badly though and the pit zips do help. Time will tell I suppose.

Not sure about Harkila and Seelands tie up, got the Seeland catalogue here which starts with the Harkila range then the Seeland, might be the cheaper line :dunno:.
Pretty sure Seeland is Danish company and Harkila Swedish, having said that I see mines made in China :D.

Did Look at the Harkila stuff in the shop....nice, well out of the the range of my Christmas gift tokens though :rolleyes:.

HTH.

Pete.

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
The M65 jacket (US) has quite some following in the ranks. IIRC it comes with a button in winterlayer. Or just layer up with normal clothing if it doesn't ;)

I've an M65 Jacket Replica (in black, more socially & professionally acceptable than Woodland) which has become my favourite coat. With wash-in Nikwax it sheds water well, although treating the liner too would be a good idea next time in case it does let-in.

The design is well-known. It is quite warm, made of quiet poly-cotton and has good pockets. The hood isn't great (although I often wear a hat anyway), but there are hooded versions available.

The sizing is a bit odd. I am 6' and 13st 5lb and own a 'small'. It is fine in almost all dimensions, but could be slightly more generous across the chest. It has broken-in a bit though.

I did have to re-stitch some of the buttons and the velcro used isn't the best (to be replaced).

Interestingly, although it was cheap (~32quid from an Ebay seller) it is a better jacket than the very expensive M65 tribute coats from the likes of Superdry owned by colleagues.

Last edited:

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
Try the Stealth Gear Photographer's Jacket here.

It is the best jacket I have ever had. Tough, wind and waterproof and more pockets than you can shake a stick at. The bottom patch pockets when zipped out will hold my Canon 7d with a 70-200mm lens. I can put my 10x40 binoculars in the other pocket with another DSLR. Zip down flap for sitting on, 2 removable hoods and a removable midge mesh. I never wear anything else. Well I sometimes put a pair of socks on as well

I have two pairs of the trousers too which are great. I HATE DPM or real tree camo. The material is a dark olive, breathable with no rustle and loads of reinforcement.

Well worth every penny, particularly if you are a photographer or like lots of pocket space, 12 pockets on a quick count just now.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
that is cool, i have been lookng fo a coat to use when out photogrpaing the birds etc, im fed up of rustling etc and have just got away with a DPM jacket before but its not ideal, as i dont really like DPM either

D

Daniel01

There are many various types of jackets accessible in today’s market. The design for the Patagonia Das Parka is specifically for mountaineering; though, you can and will also see people using it for skiing, snowshoeing and other cold weather activities. This jacket also includes a stuff sack for the jacket when it is not in use, say, in your duffel bag or back pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE