Winter Camps - memories of a kinder time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
Thanks, all, for the comments. Great to hear you're enjoying the pics. I'm happy to share.

BTW, it's a balmy -26C here today, so that's a step!

Fantastic stuff sir!

Whats the story about the hooded jacket you are wearing in that last poto?

Best.

Chris.

Chris, that's a wool blanket pullover 'hoodie' made for me by my sister-in-law. It was made simply, without aid of pattern, via the 'fold over, add arms and hood' method. Wish I could be more specific, and point to a pattern etc., but it was simply cobbled together... nicely, I thought. The black pocket on the front is doubled fleece, as I wished the contrast and ran short of wool anyway, and the hood is lined with the same black fleece (which makes that hood absolutely terrific!). She did wonderfully, and is a sister to be proud of, I think. Thanks for asking.

This year she agreed to make me an anorak out of some light canvas. (I can't remember the actual weight of the stuff.) I asked for something akin to a bathrobe - perhaps more like an over-sized, hooded 'judo gi' than a bathrobe, really. I'm not sure whether or not I'll regret having a wrap-over front. It fastens only with belt. I heat up quickly, and I wanted to be bale to release heat fast. Hopefully I'll post pics when I can get outside with it. Indoor pics really don't do it justice, in my opinion.

ATB,

KK

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
At the risk of bordering on the mundane, a few cold weather kits shots. I know folks will have this same stuff, but I thought I'd share a few pics of the stuff in my neck of the woods.

Fire kit. PJCB's, jute, lighter, rubber tube bands, fat wood, etc... I can tell you that, without trying to sound dramatic, the vaseline soaked cotton balls have started a few fires for me when all else failed.

Haha! Embarrassing! Here's me in my natural habitat (ie, having just fallen down!) and pointing for to my wife to where my axe ended up. I was taught as a youngster to toss the axe away from myself when I fell, and hadn't thought of it for years! You can also see when you're dealing with snow almost as deep as your axe is long, why you want that yellow (or orange) paint on the handle! :p

Speaking of axes, an action shot of my hoodie and me working a larger hudson's bay axe. I use a larger axe in the dead of winter. Normally, I'd saw logs, but I'm just out messing about... :)

Here's a closer look at the axe.

The wedge fetched loose. I replaced it around the fire later that day.

Another hatchet I brought out that day^ was the little Fiskars hatchet. Made in Finland.

Good windproof mitts are (obviously) a must, and are great in cold, dry weather. The army surplus mitts are awesome, but my wife and I like these Native-crafted moose (mine) and buckskin (hers) fur lined mitts the best. Mine are lined with HB blanket and beaded with a Canada goose. They're quite pretty and give some class to offset some of the nylon gear I tote around. (The genuine military ones are warmer, though, IMHO.)

Thanks again for looking in.

ATB,

KK

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Excellent. I love the 'natural habitat' picture, being fairly familiar with that habitat myself - I fell down the stairs New year's morning, without the aid of alcohol!

I'm a fan of those Fiskars hatchets too, although they can be a little slippy on the handle when wet.

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
Thanks all. I am happy I found people who enjoy the wonder that is winter as much as I do.

With the bugs (mosquitoes and ticks mostly) being as bad as they are here in the spring (and believe me, I cannot easily overstate how bad they are), the winter is actually my favourite season - always has been. It's def more work and planning and so on, and it can be a potentially dangerous time as we all know, but the hushed solitude of a cracking (literally) cold day must be experienced to be believed. The cold snow is really like a blanket - the woods become a TOTALLY different place. It's surreal. Last New Years Day my boys and I headed out to the woods for a fire. As we sat in the gathering dusk, (that really 'magical' time out of doors between day and evening) the coyotes started howling. Now, if I could catch that on 'tape' (I've tried but failed... although I did catch a cow once... :) ) I'd really have something to share! But I'm babbling now...

Thanks for the 'warm' welcome!

ATB

KK

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Thanks for your very interestiag post KK i think you are in the right part of BCUK and you will be a great asset:) I dream of the woods of canada and when my boys are ready i wish for a big trip but thats along way off yet :( ... Thanks for sharing KK goodjob

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
Thanks for your very interestiag post KK i think you are in the right part of BCUK and you will be a great asset:) I dream of the woods of canada and when my boys are ready i wish for a big trip but thats along way off yet :( ... Thanks for sharing KK goodjob

Thanks for looking! :) I appreciate the kind words of encouragement.

I must say that I'm no where near the 'intrepid arctic explorer' type - I just get out in my local woods and 'bum around' - so I am glad to hear that there is some value in my post. And as long as people still see that value, I'll try to pop in once in a while. I'm happy to share.

As far as the references shared by some above re: a trip to Canada (and I may be slightly biased here ;) ) I think you'd not be disappointed. My mum (and family) made the exact same visit years ago - and stayed! :D 'Tis a beautiful country, I think, and a bushcrafter's paradise. :)

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
I like the good good mix of kit it all looks like it works well for you KK. The mits look very native canadian as does the coat. The mits are thay buck skin and fox fur? Thanks for the photos ,we hope to see more :) ...

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
I like the good good mix of kit it all looks like it works well for you KK. The mits look very native canadian as does the coat. The mits are thay buck skin and fox fur? Thanks for the photos ,we hope to see more :) ...

Thanks for noticing the kit. Good eye. I have worked hard sorting it all out, and I appreciate your mentioning it. I try to use canvas, wool and leather where practical, as I like the connection I feel to the woods (both in tradition and 'material'). I use nylon when it's most practical (ex., my ruck, which is just a superior piece of kit). (Mind you, I'm no expert, and I feel drastically under qualified when I read the stuff some you folks have done!) :)

Oh, BTW, those particular mitts are moosehide with beaver trim. Beaver is used a lot for trim on mitts, as it does well in the freezing temps. It also feels fantastic. They're lined with a HB blanket, and beaded with a Canada Goose on the front. And you are correct - 100% Native crafted in the James Bay area. They're not the warmest, but they are comfy and authentic winter wear, and I like them. Thanks for asking! :)

Last edited:

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
Still trying to figure out where to put what here at BCUK. I posted an outing in the 'outings' section, I guess, but thought I'd keep popping in here to add a few little things to this thread. Again, I don't mean to imply you don't already know this stuff, but for some who don't live where it ever gets cold, there might be some things of interest.

The withy pot holder from yesterday, as posted here in my outings thread, has a bit of dual purpose:

It adjusts the height of the fire (we all knew that, I think) but that's really key when you can't be sticking anything into the ground. Also, it serves, as you can see in the pic, as a place to keep your tin/steel cups warm enough to handle. I have no pic, but I left one stick etxra long to hold the kettle. (Keep you gear off the cold ground as much as possible.) While the Finns et al have this figured out (my wife's Finn, BTW) with their kuksas, and I own a couple, I still prefer the dual purpose of cup and cooking utensil for when it's needed. Plus, you can stick your cup full of hot goodness really, really close to the fire to keep it warm. One thing about using bent saplings in this weather - it's really hard because the tree has released most of its liquid so as not to freeze and you must heat the bends over the fire, and be VERy careful doing it. Outdoor green wood grills are difficult, and I failed at one yesterday (in only -8C).

The other thing that kind of came up in the other thread was the tinder pouch, and that's nothing new to any of us either. But for winter time, I find myself always grabbing tinder as I go. You can stick it in pockets, but for me that clutters my pockets up, often renders the stuff useless and can even make it damper, depending on what you do with pockets... A tinder bag is key, IMHO, in winter conditions. I made one, and I'd like to put a couple of pics up for you if you would like.

Mine is very simple. It's a leather pouch with no sides, and 'inside' the pouch is a besswax/parafin mix treated canvas bad. (Leftovers from my coat project.) The wax bag stays put until you find something worth putting in it, and then it's unsnapped and used.

This is one piece of gear that, while I didn't use it yesterday, will certainly pay off when I most need it. Dump and light. (I do carry all kind of sure fire starters, but natural tinder is still my preferred accelerant once I light my vaseline cotton ball or whatever.)

ATB.

KK

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE