Wild cherries or Bird cherries?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Or are they pretty much the same.

Just got back in from walking the dogs and whilst wandering across the fields I have come across 6 trees laden with fruit that looks very much like a small cherry some dark red and some bright red also very juicy.

I have looked up bird cherries which appear to be smaller and more green on the google search I did. Can anyone enlighten me and perhaps come up with a few uses for said fruit.

I did Sloe gin and vodka last year in the Autumn which was a great success so i was wondering about cherry brandy or vodka.

Any thoughts folks? Also could they be eaten somehow rather than made into drinks.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i believe the bird cherry is a black fruit, though i'm not positive about it, there's been loads of red cherries here but no black ones, some trees have larger fruits and these seem a bit sweeter to me, most are quite small and a little bitter. In Roger Phillips book on wild flowers bird cherry is shown very dark looking like a black fruit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE