Wild camping petition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Don't forget though that many moors, mountains and plenty of national parks are farmed. Hill farmers struggle to scrape a living on poor grazing on morrs and mountains. Most National Parks are still privately owned land. I'm not against the idea of wider access - I just prefer the thought thats its fair to all including the current landowners - especially the small farmers and those who are living on a far lower hourly rate of pay than almost any employed person.

Red

When we had the hillfarm right on the border of the fell and had hefted sheep that pretty much stuck to a particular area there were often people who came and camped on the fell, by the farm can't say it made the slightest difference to our sheep.
as long as people keep their dogs under control and closed the fell garte after they went through things were fine.

To be fair though the amount of fell that anyone in their right mind would set up camp on near us was fairly limited byt the fact that it was either really boggy or just too lumpy.
They never caused problems and we were never tempted to tell tales on them for "illegal" camping.

Sometimes we let them camp in the fields but that depended on the time of year.

We found that if you give someone the chance to behave with a degree of responsability they rose to it and we made some long lasting friends that way with two german lads coming over a few years running.

I really am all for people being able to set up camp pretty much as they are allowed to in Scotland, are English people less able to handle responsability than them?

I do however have some concerns about the MOD land bit, I don't think its going to be a good idea to set up camp on Warcop when the red flags are up;)

Hi there folks - Nightwalker kindly let me know of this forum's interest concerning the E-Petition on wildcamping in England/Wales.

Which jolted me to include you in the current debate. After all you are a group of people who more than any other (I suspect) share our love of the outdoors, especially living as part of it where possible. My mistake to not have realised this much earlier than now.

And that's not meant to schmooze you all BTW ;-)

The recognition is genuine on my part.I've lurked around the various bushcraft sites over the years, as much of the approach - both gear and mental overlap easily. Especially for the ultralight 'packers amongst the walking fraternity.

So with the introduction over, a quick update if I may........

The votes continue to pile up & have just passed the 600 mark earlier today (Fri 22/2)

One of the supporters recently posted a piece to try to clear up the ambiguities & answer many of the recurrent concerns being raised within the outdoor community.

I'd really recommend working through this article if you feel so inclined

http://beardedgit.com/?p=349

Lucyc

Forager
Jan 19, 2008
Somerset
The votes continue to pile up & have just passed the 600 mark earlier today (Fri 22/2)
Woohoo!

Although sadly I hear we're going to need much more if the government are going to consider it, from the response from the MP that guy on that blog got (I can't remember where I read it :rolleyes: )

wannabefree

Life Member
Aug 22, 2004
kent
Just starting to catch up after a period of hibernation.

Spotted this petition and it is something I feel strongly about so have signed up.
However to achieve anything we need to get many more signatories. It may have been suggested before, (I have not had the time to read all the replies), so why not poll all your friends, neighbours, workmates etc? If they know and respect you well enough I am sure a large proportion would be prepared to add their names to the petition. By this I mean that they are confident enough that you are a serious person who will act in a responsible way given the opportunity to wild camp
Go for it - Lets do it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE