Wild camping/bushcraft in the North East

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Hi all,

Previously when I've taken my eldest son out we've gone wild camping in the lakes. All great there, but it's a couple of hours in the car to get there. Is there anywhere closer in the North East to go wild camping with no bother?

I've called up the friends of chopwell woods but they did say that charvas go drinking there and it might not be a quiet night. they also said that the areas near by might not be somewhere I'd want to leave my car - lovely!

So - anyone got suggestions on where I can get to easily from Whitley Bay and get some nights under a tarp?

Thanks!

G

Ge Hanzhi

As a Durham man taken to London by work, I'd kill to be where you are. Why not Keilder? Druridge Bay on a fine night? Tyne Dale?
The car thing is always a worry like, but I'm sure you could give chase to a charver gang if you're out with an axe or machete. And if you catch one or two, then who's to know who chopped them up, eh? (Just joking!)

As a Durham man taken to London by work, I'd kill to be where you are. Why not Keilder? Druridge Bay on a fine night? Tyne Dale?
The car thing is always a worry like, but I'm sure you could give chase to a charver gang if you're out with an axe or machete. And if you catch one or two, then who's to know who chopped them up, eh? (Just joking!)
Preventing petty and violent crime, one charver at a time. Haha.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay

I've definatly considered Kielder, just where to leave the car!

Too bad about being in the big smoke - even when I go for work just for the day it's a nightmare!

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Is there a way you can get dropped off and picked up after? Going carless would eliminate the problem.

Yes and no. The Mrs could drop us off, but she'd prob not be best pleased abotu dragging the wee one (who's 1) along o drop us two off. Will think on!

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
I've definatly considered Kielder, just where to leave the car!

Too bad about being in the big smoke - even when I go for work just for the day it's a nightmare!

There is a dirt track to the south just past the dam on the east end, there about 10 miles of it and goes all over the place, Chance of anyone finding it are pretty minimal. Anyone who does probly has more important business in that area.

55° 9'13.48"N, 2°30'57.18"W, Here is a reasonably close spot to the water but about the most remote place you could park if your concerned about the safety of your car.

Sep 19, 2015
newcastle
hi all i am new to this bushcraft forum....i am looking for some one to wild camp with in the north east if theres any one out there ...the comment about chopwell wood they are rite some charvas do use it but there are still some good spots in there ..

Hey Anthony, there are few of us north easterns here,

Brockwell is good enough considering considering you can do anything bushcrafty (more or less) and you have permission to do so.

Weardale is good, i get up there quite often

When do you have in mind for a wild camp?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've been thinking seeing some of the other local meetups, do we northeasteners have anything like that? If not anybody game?

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Brockwell would be great, Safezone in Yarm, I was just getting fuzzy about the place when all links I could find went down, apparently, 42 acres outside of Yarm :(

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Brockwell works for me, dependant on me sorting things out :) probably need a couple of weeks notice and I'm good, gaging at the bit to get out.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
So, sometime October, Brockwell unless anyone has a different location ? lets do it :) I'll contact them tomorrow to see how busy they are and we can take it from there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE