Wifeys trip to the Falkland islands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
just got a disk with some pics of her trip to Volunteer point, though you might like to see some. i'm gonna do a pic tour when she gets back ,as it's a place many might not visit. any way here's some penguins.
IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_6551.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Cheers for looking.

Southey.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Hope this hasn't happened to you but check the camera. I wrote off a video camera down at Berthas beach filming penguins. The sand was so fine it worked it's way into the machinery through the buttons which I operated. Great photos though I always found it how incredibly tame they were.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Apparetly a couple of others had that issue, but Wifey took the precaution of using her Sqn leaders camera! Good work well done. looking forward to seeing all the other pics she's taken, supposed to have a cracker of a dolphin surfing a crest.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Funny you should say that, there off today for a swim across one of the coves. it's a follow on from one she did earlier but rough seas prevented them from completeing , i don't know which cove it is i'll have to find out. I keep telling her about boats but she just won't belive me, insists on paddling everywhere, idiot.

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
Southey, I am planning a hike around East Falkland in early 2012 and I wondered whether it would be alright if I could post some questions that wifey might be able to provide some answers for?

Cheers.

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
Did wifey go to any of the settlements outside Stanley and if so, how are they fixed for shops? I am worried that if I can't resupply anywhere, then I will have to lug 12 days of food from Stanley.

Did she say anything about the wind?

What time of year was her trip and what was the weather like generally?

That'll do for a start. Thanks for any info she might be able to help with. I have started a general thread in the 'Bushcraft Chatter' forum as well.

Cheers

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Dangerous brian hat!!!
haven't seen one of them in years.

love the pics tho, scary how those penguins just aren't fussed by humans

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
At last I can say - Been there, done that! My photos are from the days of celuloid and 8mm video tape - when I can get them converted I'll whack a few up myself. I spent a total of about a year down there and loved every minute.

Lennymac - if I may be so bold as to answer your questions... There are hardly any shops in Stanley, only two that I can recall (Weststore and the Pink Shop) though there may be one or two more by now. Out in the camp (their name for the bondu!) there is nothing.
Falkland wind is something that has to be seen to be believed - they used to say a day with less than forty knot winds was a calm one!
Weather is opposite to Blighty, June to August is their winter - very cold, very windy and lots of snow; December to Febuary is warm enough to sunbathe if you can find somewhere out of the wind.

Travel is generall done by air, with daily broadcasts (on FIBS Falkland Island Broadcasting Service) as to who is going where - so that business can be conducted between farmers or settlement owners. Walking will earn you some very funny looks! not impossible but...... The land is very sparse, no trees on most islands and soil consisting of sand or peat, so not great for pitching tents.
Most farmers are reasonably welcoming but be aware that a lot of home butchered mutton has a parasitic fluke which can cause problems if not properly coooked.

ATB

Ogri the trog

polecat paul

Sep 7, 2006
Nantyr, llangollen
I was over there in 2007 for the 25th anniversary , these pics bring back some memories we stopped at pebble island and was taken to see the penguins there ,incredibly tame! we are heading back over in 2012 fabulos place

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
if those pengiuns are lumpy skin em lol great pics lets have some more southey regards dave

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Lennymac from my own time down there outside Stanley there isn't anything, a bit of a shop in Goose green but probably nothing much. Don't know if you're serving but first place to stop if planning a walk in "camp" is the police, they'll give you a map of the uncleared minefields, there's quite a few and unfortunately it includes the great beaches around Stanley. Maps for the area aren't great I'll look out mine I think I got them from a place in London they're 1:50 000 if memory serves me. I may have a book on walks I'll look out. Needless to say there's a lot of sheep and the roads to the settlements have been upgraded to gravel roads. The term "settlement" really just means a farm with maybe 2-3 houses for the rest of the family nothing more. In addition to the minefields there is still a lot of munitions and detritus on the battlefields in the hills around Stanley don't touch it or collect souvenirs its considered bad form. Just a few thoughts sorry if they appear egg sucking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE