Why was the 'Why prepare' thread shut down..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I tried to send Bernie a PM and got the message that his box was full and he'd have to empty it a bit to make some space.
Bernie I've sent you a PM elswhere now.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I take it we wont be meeting up for a Drink then John when i'm up your neck of the woods with me canoe.:lmao:

:tapedshut:)

Mike i don't know if its because of my card but i cant send or receive pm's.
Matt Lithrel can you let me know how long this will last please as i have to get in touch with SimonN for his address thanks

Bernie

Try deleting the old ones that you've read but are still in your allocated space.:rolleyes:

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I take it we wont be meeting up for a Drink then John when i'm up your neck of the woods with me canoe.:lmao:

I'll be delighted to meet you for a paddle and a chat. We are all different people in the real world and I am far more robust, blunt, rude and cheeky in real life. But the nature of forums is such that people cannot be allowed to post that way as the whole thing just spirals downward. Everything in its place and all that.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I'll be delighted to meet you for a paddle and a chat. We are all different people in the real world and I am far more robust, blunt, rude and cheeky in real life. But the nature of forums is such that people cannot be allowed to post that way as the whole thing just spirals downward. Everything in its place and all that.

Amen to that.:)

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk

I totally agree John. thats why i don't intend to start a flame war with you,enough s been said and its time to move on,all the best:)

Bernie

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That sums it up very well indeed John.

With regards to the PM thing - perhaps the PM capacity is reduced to that of an ordinary member under a yellow card. My PM box being 100% full was the first thing that made me notice my full membership had expired last time.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Awesome - if you guys get together for a paddle I may even come if invited since I really want to meet John and just as much renew my aquaintance with Bernie.

I though will require water wings and a rubber ring though cos in real life I am a shrinking violet :D

Red

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
That sums it up very well indeed John.

With regards to the PM thing - perhaps the PM capacity is reduced to that of an ordinary member under a yellow card. My PM box being 100% full was the first thing that made me notice my full membership had expired last time.

Thats what it must be Neil, how many can i have ?cheers:)

Bernie

I've been a member a while, but not really participated that much. I'm just enjoying it here and seeing what I can learn. Maybe just because I don't have so much time invested in the forum, it's not a big deal for me whether I can influence forum policy, debate faked moon landings, or subdue people with different opinions.

To clarify, when I wrote that I was blissfully unaware of the content of the thread and mistook it for another. I wasn't pointing fingers at anyone. Ooops! :eek:

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite a while now. Don't usually get too embroiled in debates or slagging (as you all call it in this forum).

In response to the original question, "why did the thread get shut down"....I would offer that it happened because people were being abusive, obtuse and down right rude. Now, the problem is that we all have different ideas of what "abusive, obtuse and rude" mean.

For example. Magikelly made four posts in this thread (44,48,50 and 51) which I find rude and over the top, but he honestly thinks are fine to post because he based his posts (I think) on his interpretation of Bernie's written word. That's his choice and perogative. I on the other hand, completely understand what Bernie was saying (i.e. "wannabe mods"), and I do not feel it was rude - my choice and perogative, and instead am offended by Magikelly, but that's life. Can't always be happy.

Now as for Bernie, he seems to be seen by many of you as a "stick that stirs the pot"....honestly, I've never met the man, and could really care less how you view him, but I do see how he can come off a bit rough around the edges. Sort a salt of the earth fellow....maybe unrefined rock salt, but salt none-the-less.

For either case, I'm not going to post a response in a thread that criticizes either of these men personally and THAT IS NOT THE INTENT OF MY POST, but rather I wanted to highlight that we all have different definititions of "proper conduct". This is a common theme that I have seen since I have been active on BCUK.

People state things, then later feel the need to apologize, but I often think they only do that to "pretend" (again my "perception" only - and may be incorrect}

What I would suggest in the future is this:

If you make a post for which you have to later apologise, show that you really mean it and edit out the text of your offending post. Simple to do and will help keep the peace. The way I see it is that if I, in real life, say something to hurt a person, I do honestly wish that I could reach back in time and erase that comment....well, this is possible by editting our posts here.

and as somebody, who I would imagine wishes he will be famous one day, once said:

"...I whole heartedly agree, if people don't like the subject stay out of the thread and if they've got nothing constructive to say, stay out of the thread and let others enjoy it. An excellent rule of thumb for people to use..." (TONY)

...and -so that I don't completely hijack this thread- that my friends is why the thread was locked.

Cheers,
D

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
What I would suggest in the future is this:

If you make a post for which you have to later apologise, show that you really mean it and edit out the text of your offending post. Simple to do and will help keep the peace. The way I see it is that if I, in real life, say something to hurt a person, I do honestly wish that I could reach back in time and erase that comment....well, this is possible by editting our posts here.

I am not keen on this idea as I have seen variations of it being abused before. it is not unheard of for people to post quite an abusive post and then edit it very soon after posting. This way the email notification carries the original abuse but the casual reader of the thread seems only a reasonable response.

My preference would be that if you even suspect you might have to apologise for a post later, you do not post it. But that is of course easier said than done.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Think twice.

Post once.
8823.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ye Gods and little fishes, can't a woman get a busy week without the world falling apart around her ?? :eek:

Mods being criticised for Modding :rolleyes: Tough. It happens, we will discuss things but stirrers get whapped with their own wooden spoon :evilgrin: i.e. the cards and the world moves on.

John Kelly I know and like, :D I like his forum too :cool: I'll spare your blushes John, but you're good at cutting through the bullexcrement ;)
Martyn I haven't met but I do like him, I have a great deal of admiration for his clarity and his opinions, I wish he were still active here :( and BB is simply the best knife forum on the net. :approve:

Moving on.....

I do find it ironic that when someone who posts *his mind*, and is responded to in a likewise fashion, takes umbrage, and it is demanded of us that we all take note of his hurt feelings :rolleyes: Tough.........I'd rather root out the orginal protagonist and find the wooden spoon again.

It's a bad day when I don't want to read the forum threads :( :puppy_dog

You all know the guidelines, if you stir the coprolites you'll get stuck with the smelly stick.
Give us all a break folks.
We want our forum back not this ranting, back biting, irritating swill.

Who got out today then ? I've been in a muddy field wondering how the hell a shiltron with 4m long pole arms are going to stop running down hill without multiple fatalities :eek:

:grouphug:
Toddy

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Excellent advice Magikelly.

"My preference would be that if you even suspect you might have to apologise for a post "
later, you do not post it. But that is of course easier said than done."

Cheers,
D

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE