Why Ray mears should be knighted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Does Ray Mears deserve a State award ?

• Yes

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
No from me either, unless i can do a course with him as the instructor and not be charged thousands !
If he still instructed and didnt charge the earth he would go up in my estimations

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I watch Ray Mears, but find there's something slightly unconvincing about him.

He's obviously very skillful at bushcrafting techniques, but I feel he's too pudgy and 'meaty' to have done much backpacking in the wilderness - certainly in recent years. If he does a lot of hard outdoor living, I would expect him to have the lean look of (say) Ranalph Feinnes.

Anyone else feel the same?

Jim

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland

He's obviously very skillful at bushcrafting techniques, but I feel he's too pudgy and 'meaty' to have done much backpacking in the wilderness - certainly in recent years. If he does a lot of hard outdoor living, I would expect him to have the lean look of (say) Ranalph Feinnes.

Jim

Nope,,,,,I'm not biting:nana:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

Jim

Ranalph Feinnes eats parts of his body though on his expiditions :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Jim

No, I rather suspect that it shows he's good at it, rather than crippling himself.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've seen Ray in the flesh, so to speak. He's not fat, he is stockily built though.
Yes, I do think he's good enough not to starve himself or his companions :)

Tbh I think your comparison was unfair. RF goes in for endurance attempts, not the more anthropological ones that RM does.

cheers,
Toddy

L

lostguide

This is my first post, just like say no to his award.

Why because much of his work on the tv is arranged and prepared by his researchers, the producers and other crew, have we seen him really live with tribes, like example Bruce Parry and others.

The comment about he done work for science, what was this? So many really do work for science , long hours little or no funding

People like Dlyan Wilk should get the honours

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why do people go on about the chap's weight? Apart from being a bit rude its not needed, you don't have to be thin to be good at the type of stuff he does? Are his courses expensive? The man is in business and is not a charity there to give out pearls of wisdom for free. If you don't want to go on a Woodlore course there are plenty of cheaper options to pick from; you may have to in the end as Ray's courses seem pretty much full.

I suspect there are many members here who would not be out camping today if it were not for Ray raising the bushcraft profile to the public.

I'm in the NO camp too

It's not a case of what he's done (which is good) its a case of the opportunity he's not used yet.

RM has incredible public recognition, and therefore a platform to influence the debate on any number of issues from youth development to the environment. personally I was particularly struck by the poster who mentioned his silence on the wild camping campaign and his absence from the BCUK moots.

Maybe the best is yet to come?
SBW

I've voted NO but not out of any ill-feeling towards Mr Mears and his work.

I've voted NO for a few reasons.

1> I detest the entire honours system, particularly the part where a monarch (who means nothing to me other than a drain on the rest of us) recognises someone for doing their job.
2> I don't expect I'd ever be offered one (who knows? maybe I'll do something that makes a politican think it'll be expedient to their career to have me knited?) but if I did I would most certainly decline. I wouldn't wish that on anyone else.
3> I don't think he needs a knighthood - his work and the way it benefits everyone else is the reward, a life lived travelling far and wide in the outdoors he loves is the reward.

To me the whole knighthood/monarchy/honours/state recognition thing absolutely stinks and I'd do away with it in a flash if I could.

I hold Ray Mears in very high regard - in my eyes it would be a slight against him to ask him to kneel before the inbred with the sword.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Sorry to go off the topic slightly but the Royal family costs me about 62 pence a year from my taxes, I for one am quite happy to pay that amount for the amount (tens of millions) they bring in to the country via tourism.

Don't forget they also pay taxes on their income.

Should Ray become Sir Ray, NO from me, but an OBE or MBE for services to others then maybe, I know a few who have earned that level of recognition.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Sorry to go off the topic slightly
;)

but the Royal family costs me about 62 pence a year from my taxes, I for one am quite happy to pay that amount for the amount (tens of millions) they bring in to the country via tourism.

I find it fascinating to think of tourists deciding to go to a country because they have a Queen (or King) they like rather than for other reasons. Which countries have you visited because of their head of state?

Conversation:
A: Shall we go to Thailand next year for our holidays?
B: No! I don't like their king!
A: Shall we go to France next year for our holidays?
B: No! It's a republic!

;)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I was thinking of that too....

Does the King of Norway permenently wear skis?

And being a Tengu, (and having rather strong views on the subject.)...

...Is the Dragon king of Bhutan really a dragon??

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
;)

I find it fascinating to think of tourists deciding to go to a country because they have a Queen (or King) they like rather than for other reasons. Which countries have you visited because of their head of state?

;)

Harry, I personally know two Americans who bought their families to the UK on holiday and the prime motive was to see Buckingham Palace etc, the Royal family is a big draw for tourists.

I am a royalist, I think the Royal family are a wonderful (if powerless) symbol for the UK and long may they remain so, they are a great peice of continuity for this country and its history. Prime Ministers come and go, the Royal Family remain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE