Why Ray mears should be knighted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Does Ray Mears deserve a State award ?

• Yes

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
The more and more I think about this, the less stupid an idea it becomes........if you can be knighted for services to things, then he has certainly served bushcraft well, but on a more serious note:

He makes fantastic bonds between Britain and some tribal people, the tribes he visits will see very few British people all their lives and he is a SUPERB ambassador to our country, sending out a stunning ethos of kindness and calmness.

He has helped scientists in a few discoveries and research, in particular in his wild food series, when he delved into issues we know very little about.....

you may think I'm joking but just consider it a little, that first point about being an ambassador is vital to our countries reputation, and it really warms me to think that thee are people out there who's opinion of Britain may well be based on Ray and his ethos.

If you don't agree say why, and if you don't agree do you think he deserves a lesser state award, MBE or similar (........You can get them for winning rugby matches these days!!)

also can you think of any other reasons why he should be knighted?!

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah now, can you ? :confused:

I don't know if you can add one retrospectively.
I know I can do it, but that night be a Mod toolbar thingie since it's an edit thread not an edit post.

What you could do is work out what you want the poll options to be and if you can't add the poll, let me know, and I'll do it.

Or you could start another thread with the poll in it and I'll merge the two threads to tidy everything up.

cheers,
Toddy

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
actually, this is a really good idea..... but you know what ? i'd be suprised if he wanted it. He never struck me as the sort of person that wanted attention and a title.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
actually, this is a really good idea..... but you know what ? i'd be suprised if he wanted it. He never struck me as the sort of person that wanted attention and a title.

I think he'd deffinatley want one, who doesn't!! But I know exactly what you mean, he wont shout about itat all............but lets try getting him one and give him the chance to decide :D:D:D:D

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Ah now, can you ? :confused:

I don't know if you can add one retrospectively.
I know I can do it, but that night be a Mod toolbar thingie since it's an edit thread not an edit post.

What you could do is work out what you want the poll options to be and if you can't add the poll, let me know, and I'll do it.

Or you could start another thread with the poll in it and I'll merge the two threads to tidy everything up.

cheers,
Toddy

erm we could keep it simple:

Does ray Mears deserve a state award?

Yes
No

????

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I agree that Mr Mears is deserving of such an honor, imo he is not the kind of person who has worked towards such an award, but would be appreciative of the recognition from the public for his work in bringing bushcraft to a wider audience, I have a great respect for the man,

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
could the people that disagree please say why?? we're not going to sledge you , it's just interesting to here your point of view!!

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
As always there are two sides to ever coin and not all of us have experienced the soft and fluffy side . In my experience he like all TV folk ,only does things which benifit him or the furthernce of his machine / ego.
Good luck to him . But our lollipop lady deserves one more. In fact there are many more deserving folk on this site. In my view to deserve a state award one must really put ones self out not just get paid for it.

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Im going to vote no.

Not because I don't think the man is great or deserving of recognition but because

the whole honours system is a completely corrupt piece of cap doffing, anachronistic,

servile, vomit inducing load of old boll:tapedshut ks

My views on the Royal Family and that system as a whole is unprintable.:soapbox:

I don't know what Ray's opinion is on such matters but if I knew he'd turned one down

then he'd climb even higher in my estimates:240:

Mang

Settler
I agree that the honours system can be a bit 'One for the boys' in feel...being the head of a multi national and getting a Knighthood is an award for doing a job!

I don't know about Sir Ray but if Gordon Ramsay can get an OBE...

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The honours system, is not all about "one for the boys" It's just the little people never make it to the news. Great work is done by millions of people and sometimes it is recognised and rewarded, how do I know? My sister is off to the palace today to get her MBE for her work, within the social services, and for her nearly 40 years of working for the St John ambulance organisation .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE