Which snow boots ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Been looking to get a pair of snow boots for the winter. Loads on the market, some look naff some ok. Do any of you guys have a pair you would recommend ??
Thanks in advance
HF

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I had a pair of karrimors which i wore every weekend and got good use from. After two years they split, replaced them with the new model :)

depends how extreme you want to go with them I suppose...

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I bought (in a sale for about £40 instead of £150 muahahah ) a pair of Columbia winter/snow boots almost 10 years ago and they are one of my most treasured belongings come the winter! Heavy waterproof leather, long in the leg, insulated and fleece lined inner boot, full length laces, full rubber over rand and a great sole. My feet have been warm and dry even in -25C and 4 feet of snow.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Nokian boots I hear are an excellent winter boot and uphold a very good reputation. I think they make the winter boot for the Swedish army, the civilian equivalent of which is the model Naali. They come in all sorts of shapes and widths by the looks of things, as well as models that come with removable felt liners. Hoping to get myself a pair at some point when I can find a place to try them on. Don't come cheap and they're not easy to get though.

Muck boots are what I've been wearing 3 out of 4 seasons of the year for the past year now as they were easy to get hold of last year when I needed to re-winterize quickly. They come in a comfortable width and don't restrict circulation. I find I can fit a good chunky pair of socks and another insole in mine. Not a bad medium duty rubber boot and damn good in the snow, but they do have their weaknesses, hence why I'm going for the Nokians next time. They're crap at gripping on anything other than mud too and deadly on wet chalk. Again, they come in insulated and uninsulated models, the lowest going for about £70.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Good quality neoprene lined wellies are great in the snow, plus they have a multitude of other uses as well.

Miendl do allot of snow boots as well, not seen them myself but all their boots are bombproof so they are probably worth a look!

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
Neos overboots are clever things, I bought some a couple of winters ago and really rate them
Shewie, did you get the navigator 5s, what boot / shoe do you wear when wearing them, I was thinking of getting a pair and was wondering would a pair of sneakers be ok, do they come loose after awhile when tabbing, where did you get them, is there a reliable supplier in the uk. Thanks

Jackdaw

For the last couple of winters I have been wearing Muck Boot Tay Sport neo wellies. They are fantasticly warm yet breathable, have great grip and you can roll down the tops to keep you legs cool when you are driving between sites etc. Highly recommend. Have had similar boots from Grubs but found the sole seam came unstuck

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie, did you get the navigator 5s, what boot / shoe do you wear when wearing them, I was thinking of getting a pair and was wondering would a pair of sneakers be ok, do they come loose after awhile when tabbing, where did you get them, is there a reliable supplier in the uk. Thanks

Yeah it's the Nav 5's I've got, I've only worn them over a full boot so far though. They would probably work okay over trainers but don't take my word for it. No probs with them loosening at all so far.

I got mine from these guys, they're not a stock item though so they had to order them in for me.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have a pair of Salomon snowtrip as my posh apres ski winter boots but for serious wear I have an italian made pair of Olang Centauro tex. With the right socks these are warm to about -35c

MDC580-85-Centauro-Tex-Tan.jpg

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If you have narrower feet, the Meindl Soeldens are good value and well made but I don't find mine very comfy for walking long distances. They also need a reflective insole adding and a good waxing-do that and they'll cope with all UK winter snow. The inner wool boot has a rubber sole too.

Personally, I've not been overly impressed with most of the Sorels or Baffins. The Sorel glacier boots look great though. I have a couple of pairs of "waterproof/breathable" Baffin Snosports that are the comfiest boots I've ever worn, but they both leak like a sieve :(

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Pesky timetravelling Italian bootmakers who can't help making copies of overtly American boots sold many years ago!! :)

Military1st have some snowboots for sale on their site which look OK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE