Which kit item pushes your buttons ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Books on making outdoor kit and especially pre modern age stuff ie Iron Age, North American Indian and similar cultures ....

magicaldr

Jan 12, 2010
Surrey
Cooking gear is the current target, battle between trangia (swedish army version) or the crusader cook thingy. However spent far too long browsing wood gas stoves, visiting camping shops (love them, not as much as army surplus though) and toying with ideas I see on here. Still not purchased anything, think the trangia edging out in front for versatility. Used normal one on my D of E so got a soft spot for them, or good old open fires.

After this comes torches, and these are normally top of the old list but I want a cooker at the moment. Dont like the dark, ever since I was a kid hiding under the blankets reading after lights out with a 9V battery and bulb across the contacts :) Again got my eye on a new head torch I spotted through here...

Lastly like most people I like a good knife. Personally I prefer smaller folders than big croc dundee blades. The current law meaning I cant (and I dont) carry a locking one as EDC is really annoying, since I have a couple of lovely small locking blades. Still on the hunt for a UK legal EDC, spotted a nice yellow SAK which is looking likely when the wife not looking.

So lets see, food involved in to 2 out of my 3 items, yup sounds about right :)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Stove bits, i've been eyeing up the Honey 09 for ages, tbh by the time i go to buy it i reckon they'll have the 2010 model out.
Rucksacks are one thing, i'm currently mooching around all the 3 day assault packs, i LURVE Molle stuff because its so configurable, so i'm into molle everything, backpacks, pouches, underwear, you name it!
Other then that obscure russian kit, dunno its just fascinating stuff?!

crushthesystem

Forager
Nov 18, 2009
Maidstone, Kent
that's a good point actually forgot to add pretty much anything from an army surplus shop (i think it's the smell for some reason) when i go into an army surplus shop i usually end up buying at least something small.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Not sure if anything particular really 'pushes my button' with me. I can appreciate knives but I don't have to own loads, other kit is the same.

I suppose what ticks the box for me is something that's been well made or handcrafted like Kernes DIY Duluth pack

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
For me it has to be packs/rucksacks.

I like to have lots of different sizes to do different jobs, because if I have to take a pack that's too big, I will fill it with stuff I don't need to take (just in case).

Saying that, I will be getting rid of a Sabre 45 pack soon that I only used twice, just because I have so many packs and it doesn't get used.

Oh and bivi bags of course. I want to get hold of a Dutch bivi bag this year. I just like the look of them.

Phill

Whilst no individual kit type eg cookers shelters knives rucksacks or what ever flicks my switches.
I REALLY like handmadew items or bespoke items.

Things like a good handsewn knife sheath (got several of them),the campknife made by Elma the little leather salt/pepper pot made by Shep,the notebook cover i commissioned from G4GHB or the waterstone set made by Shep, Individual items each one unique and different even if produced again by the same maker

Sam

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
For me its just quality kit. Be it sharps, rucksacks, clothing, boots etc It has to be rugged hard use stuff though .

At the moment i seem to be eyeing a lot of packs up. Just bought a lowe alpine sting (surplus version) and an old canvas german mountain pack which i think is brilliant.

I can see a snow and nealley hudson bay axe replacing my SFA soon too.

bottom one here
http://www.red-deer.co.uk/acatalog/Axes_by_Snow_and_Neally.html

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
I do like jackets and bags, of all sorts ( green stuff or otherwise). But handmade stuff like my small leather pouches for brew kit , food etc push those buttons. They are such a joy to use, and give alot of pleasure. My girlfriend would say I have a thing for stoves, refering to the possability of starting a museum.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just been totting up my kit and so far I reckon it is stoves and fleeces, especially softshells and meths / woodburning stoves. I am currently on about 10 fleeces and 6-8 stoves. I even won a stove on another forum a fancy little re-fillable reservoir wicking meths stove thing from mini-null designs. Its a bottle with a tube leading to a metal base with what looks like a fibre brush sticking up. Enyone used one of those? I haven't yet, but just looking at it makes me happy.

Yes I know, I'm a sad case and beyond help. Must admit I like the look of a crusader cookset but would never use it. I also want a wood burner like BPL-UK sells. In fact if I had the money I'd buy all the stoves that BPL-UK sell. Never use them all as I tend to only take my primus.

I also like knives but so far have resisted even buying a Mora. I only own two SAKs and one Opinel (had to, its wooden handled and folds plus very sharp). BTW if anyone is interested Aldi are selling a very cheap axe and splitting maul. I know you lot probably prefer to spend loads to get a Gransfor axe but for us cheaper people who prefer to spend more on their other obsessions (fleeces and stoves) then you might be interested.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
A piece of kit that may not seem very fashionable given the modern alternatives available.

Quite simply, my old pair of wellies, I've been using them for years and dug them out again last November. They've never let me down.

If my feet got cold and numb in the snow? Wellies off, snow wash the feet, dry them, socks and wellies back on. Hey presto - toastie toes.

Probably the most under rated and overlooked piece of kit - the humble wellie boot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE