What's your long term project for this year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
I keep thinking about walking around the coast of the UK for charity-maybe this years the year....

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would like to attend my first bushcraft course and spend a weekend out in the wilds (actually doing bushcraft instead of just reading about it!)

WHAT?!!! Now just wait one cotton pickin' minute here! So what you're saying is that what we're doing here at this forum isn't Bushcraft?

I didn't get the memo that said I have to sleep in the woods sometime and actually do the stuff we talk about here. Well that puts a whole different perspective on the matter. Sheesh I could die out there! :yikes:

My duvet would miss me, not to mention my slippers!

All this time....

i'm working on taking the young un out for some camping this summer but i suspect lisa will say no
you chosen your daughters first knife yet? i keep getting in trouble for buying camo baby clothes and looking at kit for him

mind you i now feel the need to get better a stuff so i can teach him.

Biker may i suggest you take on the fifteen items or less challenge to absolve yourself from just reading about it? :)

EDIT you've already found it

Biker

Probably an Opinel, that's what me and my brother got at 5 years old.

The proof of the pudding is whether you can still count to 10 using your fingers? Brave parents I have to say. Though my two daughters were both taken camping when there were both still in nappies, mostly to biker rallies and they loved it! Kent Custom bike show, Bulldog bash, Drink Drop and Doss. They loved 'em all and revelled in the attention they got too.

Yeah Man_of_Tanith I signed up for the 15 items of less queue at the local supermarket till. Still not sure how that relates to bushcraft though, but it sounded like fun. Buy 15 different items and join the 10 items or less queue and see if you can get away with it, yup sounds easy enough....

Last edited:

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Getting a knife was nothing, we used to sneak into the workshop on the farm a couple of years after that and play with the oxyacetylene kit.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've gone off danger after just a few too many near misses. :) I'm pretty good at extreme hammocking these days or adventure gardening.

a freind recieved his first axe at four! not gonna happen with the boy i dont think
i was looking at a small fixed blade for his first although i might have to be quick to get past his great grandfather who gave me my first knife,lighter and piece of string with the advice dont set fire to yourself,cut away from yourself and if your dad asks where you got these it wasnt me :lamo:

biker you might want to check the fifteen items again not quite as you describe mate :)

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
brush up on basic skills
learn loads more about flora
practice friction firelighting alot more
keep the knifemaking going
keep doing volintary work as a traniee instructor
prepare for my course ect
hopefully do a bit of traveling
and anything else that pops into my head

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I want to make a fishing knife for my dad out of the old 1940's bed frame (if the steel is the right sort). It was my dads when he was a boy recently my eldest boy had it for a couple of years but the wires that it's sprung with have all got metal fatigue so we're having to scrap it - small issue of not knowing what I'm doing but hopefully I'll get there in the end.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
I'm thinking about living like a hobo for a year roaming the UK to see if it can be done? To find out what legal pitfalls I might encounter? Then writing about it.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE