what's the best Tablet for me ?................

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Looking to buy a tablet thing, my needs are very simple, all i want it for is books, internet and emails, WiFi is a must.

what would you recommend ?

nothing complicated, no techno speak, just nice and simple please :)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We've just bought a new ipad, not my choice but Carol likes her bling

I would have bought the Nexus 10 but they were out of stock and I had to get one for Chrimbo.

The Kindle Fire HD would be a good choice for your requirements

wildjetskier

Aug 25, 2010
Ascot
Looking to buy a tablet thing, my needs are very simple, all i want it for is books, internet and emails, WiFi is a must.

what would you recommend ?

nothing complicated, no techno speak, just nice and simple please :)

In my, humble, opinion there are 2 contenders. The Nexus 7 or I pad mini. The Nexus is cheaper and a lot of bang for the bucks. The I pad is brilliant, if like me you are all Apple, and therefore can synch all 3 of my devices. If you dont have an Apple I phone or Macbook then go for the Nexus. Hope that made sense ATB Jez

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
We'd need to know the size you'd like? We have Android tablets in 10.1" running ICS (4.03) and a Nexus 7" running JB (4.2). I got the nexus for my 11 year old and it's been a huge hit. Using it as a Kindle reader means the screen is the same size as but just a tad heavier than the Kindle itself. Wifey has a iOS device; I think it's called an iPhone 4S? ;-), anyhow I think the iOS is hideously counter intuitive.

It's down to personal choice on OS, but if you are an Android chap take a look at the Nexus range of tablets which come in 7" and 10". Nexus tabs will always run the latest version of Android unlike many models.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Nexus would have been my suggestion. However, we bought or daughter a kindle fire HD for Xmas. It's a great little tablet. Great screen, book library, decent array of apps (many of which can be side loaded) and £159 take home from a shop today, whereas the n7 has to be bought from the play store if you want it the same price.

touched by nature

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
the nexus 7 is very good. a lot easier to read stuff on it than trying to read it on your smartphone. For some reason we couldnt get google sky map to work on it though. wherever you pointed it, it showed jupiter! :confused:

Last edited:

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
for books, nexus 7, for movies, nexus 10

ive supplied and setup 5 nexus 7s for clients in the last few months, all 100% positive feedback, no problems at all. espcecially good for book reading and emails

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
does the Nexus 7 have a camara ?

how much are the books to down load ?

can it connect to Hotmail ?

is web browsing easy ?

( told ya ! i'm a technophobe ! )

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
does the Nexus 7 have a camara ?

how much are the books to down load ?

can it connect to Hotmail ?

is web browsing easy ?

( told ya ! i'm a technophobe ! )

1. Front facing only
2. Free to standard hardback prices. I understand it is possible to download bestsellers for free ;-)
3. Yes
4. Yes

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Browsing's very easy Robbi. And if you use it outdoors, maps are easier to read. You'll end up reaching for it instead of turning on your pc. Very user friendly.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Nexus 7 and kindle fire hd same price for same memory in most stores these days.

The fire has a cut down os aimed at selling amazon's content. That is where they plan to make their main money. Nexus is latest os from google. It's what ICS shld have been. Go for nexus. I found the fire hd was hideous to use if you weren't just using it to buy books or films. Content is what these cheaper tablets are abt. Amazon is the king there. Well, with apple. If you want to watch films/tv series and read books then kindle is gd. If you want to use it for other things then nexus 7. I want the nexus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE