What would you NOT eat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
P

Philr

Every time I go to a different country I have to try somthing new the stuff I ve passed through me so long as its dead cooked or marinated I'll give it a go Slugs an all but I stop at live, undead wriggly things,:Wow:

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Yeah, but seriously what comes out of the sea that you can not eat ?

Personally I'm not to worried about what comes out of the sea, it's what gets put into it as waste that worries me.

Still doesn't stop me from loving seafood though. I have an ex who is allergic to seafood and therefore i wasn't allowed to touch the stuff .. not even my favorite, jellied eels :(

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Grubs, slugs, snails not too fussed about it there are dead, cleaned/purged, cooked and covered in herbs LOL

Pretty willing to try most things. Don't particually enjoy eating things that have a jelly texture to them though, or explode with liquid upon biting them.

Would draw the line unless in a serious survival situation at horses, domestic dogs and cats

think the utmost line would be drawn at eating human meat, would have to be a pretty serious situation.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
BOD , perhaps you are pulling my leg perhaps not. Would be interested to hear how they are prepared though.

Reminds me of a job interview in a bar in Greece, the landlord and prospective employer appeared with beers and a plate of octopus, and I realised if I was to have any chance of getting the job I had to eat it and at least pretend I enjoyed it :D

Actually after a first taste I didnt have to do a lot of pretending.

Still it was a bit of a shock to see suckers and little slices on tentacle on a plate.

As time went on I would catch my own and prepare them , squid and cuttlefish too.

Tant

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Reminds me of a job interview in a bar in Greece, the landlord and prospective employer appeared with beers and a plate of octopus, and I realised if I was to have any chance of getting the job I had to eat it and at least pretend I enjoyed it :D

Actually after a first taste I didnt have to do a lot of pretending.

Still it was a bit of a shock to see suckers and little slices on tentacle on a plate.

As time went on I would catch my own and prepare them , squid and cuttlefish too.

Tant

Havent tried the octopus yet, but squids are one of my favorite, marinated/fried they are REALLY good ! Would you compare it's taste to the squid's taste ?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Havent tried the octopus yet, but squids are one of my favorite, marinated/fried they are REALLY good ! Would you compare it's taste to the squid's taste ?

They are similar , octopus is not as sweet, and octopus tends to be bigger and meatier with tentacles about as thick as a thumb they can be chewy. Easiest way for octopus is just plain boiled, but grilled is good the outside caramelises and goes a lot like smoky bovril.

Tant

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Tripe and marmite, anything else goes if it's been well cooked by someone who knows what they are doing.
Remember taking a loverly young lady out for dinner at my fave tapa's resturant and ordering the whitebait, big mistake as it turns out :rolleyes: . Obviously the date was a success but she didnt touch her meal as me nibbling on "little fish eyes" put her off somewhat :lmao:

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Alot of times we SAY we would not eat or that. But if truely starving, I bet most of us would eat things we would not imagine when we are well fed.

BOD , perhaps you are pulling my leg perhaps not. Would be interested to hear how they are prepared though.Tant

I'll back BOD here. You can buy salted dried jellyfish in Brussels, some Chinese restaurants serve it too. Soak and cut into fine tagliatelle, parboil by pouring boiling water over it. Ready. It's like spaghetti with a crunch to it and it has absolutely NO taste. It's the funniest food available and made of pure proteïn.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Had jelly fish in Hong Kong as part of a huge Chinese banquet, it was rather nice! MacDonalds and similar, havn't been near for decades so that is one line drawn but marmite is a must have on any of my travels, good for keeping the mozzies at bay as well!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Marnite...now you are talking, but please avoid referring to "the vegetable that dare not speak its name" (shudder)

Red

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Mike Stewart or Bark River said on another forum that he would take Rosie O'Donnell camping because it would be a large emergency food resource.

That is one thing I wouldn't eat. I wouldn't take her camping either. :tapedshut

Cephas

Jul 9, 2007
Chaves, Portugal
I am a vegetarian, even outside in the wild, even bushcrafting. It is bushcraft, not survival...
But, if survival it was, i would draw a line in fish or birds. Don't believe in any kind of killing to survive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE