What watch is on your wrist / What timepiece do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teej84

Nov 13, 2007
Solihull
www.thomasjupe.com
Hey guys and girls,

Its been a while because my whole life has been turned topsy turvy! I have closed down my business as a photographer and taken up a job as an outdoor activity centre instructor in Shropshire! Hell why not give up the day job and pursue your hobbies!

Its awesome here and I get to be outdoors for all of my working day come rain or shine teaching, among other things, climbing, rifles, archery, abseiling, obstacle courses, high ropes courses, canoeing, raft building, initiative exercises, biking, walking, orienteering and best of all basic survival skills. Life is GOOD!

Anyway enough about the new job - back to the thread!

With the new job comes a need to be on time for things, a great hardship for me and so I need a watch.

It has to be wearable for all the activities above and due to a HUGE reduction in my salary as I am living on site here now it needs to be on the cheaper side of expensive! Also because of if I do break it!

Suggestions would be gratefully received and also out of interest I would like to know what you all use to tell the time anyway!

Teej :D

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I use a military watch G10 MMC they are good watches ans swiss movement so good time keeping, I had a link somewhere I will try and find it.

Simon.

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Despite a few gadgety jobs, the one I come back to is my Seiko Submariner Divers 200m automatic. It has been bomb proof since I bought it back in 1999/2000.

Pete

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I'm a chrono fan and I need an alarm but find those inset digital faces uggly.
So I have one of these:
SNA141P.jpg

But with a leather strap I made myself.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Military CWC G10 for me (I've been told that CWC were the original and best manufacturers of the G10 as opposed to the newer MWC G10's :dunno:)

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
As you ask, one of these:

IMGP1131.jpg

Contemplating flogging it though as I'm hankering after a new canoe! Excellent watch though, seems bombproof. Otherwise I'd also say a GShock - fantastic value for money in my opinion.

(If it looks familiar, it is 'as worn by on TV', although I put a waterproof leather strap on it)

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
I don't tend to wear a watch to be honest - I won't be no slave to Old Father Time!! ;) :)

I do have a couple of watches kicking about somewhere - mostly bought for me by my dear lady who keeps trying to get me to places on time!

Dr O

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
I don't wear a watch I use my mobile phone to tell the time. If I need to go some were I just set the alarm clock so I'm not clock watching.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I don't tend to wear one day to day, but when I'm out I wear one of these ...

http://www.h3watchshop.co.uk/p/15/Traser-H3-P6500-Watch-Series/Traser-H3-Watch-|-Traser-H3-P6500-Navigator-Type-6-Watch.htm

... it's basic, very light-weight yet solid and best of all the tritium lights mean you can read it in the pitch black without having to switch on your torch to illuminate or charge the glow-in-the-dark materials.

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
My fetish for watches is only exceeded by my fetish for knives :D ATM I'm wearing an Ollech & Wijs military style automatic, I usually revert to a CWC G10 on a NATO strap for forays outdoors but I have several other robust divers type watches to choose from.

There are many choices, most quartz movements as accurate and reliable as you will ever need and as cheap as you want them to be. The joy of a cheap watch being that it is nearly "disposeable", and yet still servicable.

regards

beach bum

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I'm reminded of my son a few years back asking me, "what's the time for?" ... and having difficulty answering it! We too live in the uncertain world of the self employed where we're often not sure what day of the week it is let alone the time :rolleyes:

Mar 21, 2006
Isle of Wight
I tend to vary mine according to fancy.
Day to day wear I have a Rolex Sea Dweller.
I also use a G-Shock Gulfman (it has tide timers and other useful bits on it).
I also have a Citizen Aqualand, which is really nice.
I have to say though, I find that my Sea Dweller gets the most wrist time as it takes everything I throw at it (shooting, sailing, diving, offroad driving, home mechanics etc and more!!!).
G-shocks are excellent value for money are really are good. Been diving with mine and beaten it up!! Really tough watches and can be picked up for less than £50. They are a bit chunky though, but so is my Aqualand.
Military ones such as the G10 etc are probably going to be the best option as they are tough and reliable. From memory, Anchor Supplies do them delivered to your door, refurbished for about £45. Cant go wrong with that.
I really should think about changing watches for activities a bit more. My mates think I'm mad for digging around under LR bonnets and puddles of mud in a £3k watch, but I just cant seem to take it off.

Good luck in your decision and your choice. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the things mentioned here so far. For wearing day to day and beating up a bit, I would say go with the military option and maybe buy another NATO strap for decent wear. There are companies on the web that do them with all sorts of patterns and regimental colours on. I bought a Bond NATO for my Sea Dweller and it is great. They are really really comfy, but only if you get a genuine one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE