Alpkit
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First aid kit

Default First aid kit

Updated on page 3

Hi all, recently took some pics of my personal first aid kit and thought I'd show them for those that are interested in such things

Its very small and lightweight, easily fitted in a pocket. I do have bigger kits but this one gets used most as its the one I end up carrying most.

The contents are based on my own personal experience of what I've needed to treat myself, Its not intended for treating others but does get used in that capacity if nothing else is available.

1. Mr Bump cohesive bandage.
    2. Flat, wide roll of metolius branded climbers finger tape (zinc oxide).
    3. Roll of Duck brand duct tape.
    4. Victorinox classic: scissors, blade, tweezers, tooth pick, nail file etc.
      with safety pin.
    5. Povidone iodine in dropper/application bottle.
    6. Friars' balsam (tincture of benzoin) in dropper/application bottle.
    7. 10 tablets of ibuprofen 200mg
    8. 10 tablets of paracetamol 500mg
    9. 5 Caffeine/dextrose pills.
    10. zip lock bag containing; 4 savlon (cetrimide) wipes, 4 povidone iodine swabs, 6 ispropyl alcohol swabs.
    11. zip lock bag containg; 1 pack of 5 steri strips, 2 5cmx5xcm melolin pads,
      2 elestoplast cut to fit dressing strips, 3 waterproof elastoplasts, 1 large elastoplast dressing.
    12. Blister kit; 1 large strip of moleskin, 3 large compeed dressings, 2 medium compeed dressings.
    13. 2 packs of 5 gauze swabs.
    14. 4.5" by 7" Aloksak.

Its frequently accompanied by this kit; This is a back up to other kit carried so isn't my only fire kit or head torch carried.

1. Tincture of Iodine in plastic cohesion dropper style bottle.
    2. Petzl e+lite.
    3. 10ml irrigation syringe.
    4. 4 1/2" by 7" Aloksak.
    5. 1 pair nitrile rubber gloves.
    6. Nalgene vial containg small repair kit: Tenacious tape, safety pins, needles and strong polyester thread.
    7. 1 roll of un-waxed dental floss and 2 sets of spare e+lite batteries.
    8. 1 pair of extended wear contact lenses.
    9. Spark lite firestarter and tinder (vaseline soaked cotton balls)
    10. Butane lighter with adjustable flame.

All comments and criticisms welcome

Updated on page 3
    Last edited by bushblade; 01-01-2011 at 01:50. Reason: updated kit

Impressive. No-nonsense, practical & to the point. Looks like you work in the medical field.

Perhaps some 'crash' stuff can be added, like a pressure field dressing. My biggest worry when in the woods is a severe bleeding wound caused by axe/open fracture (although gauze+duct tape is a very good alternative...).
    Last edited by Mastino; 09-04-2010 at 21:34.

i tend to carry some plasters and paracetamol i guess this should inspire me to add some more gear to it :-D
    Lifes a lesson you learn it when your through
    mr laavu laavu...hhmmmmmmmmm
    There are only 3 reasons to kill...Defence, Mercy and Food

Quote Originally Posted by Mastino View Post
    Impressive. No-nonsense, practical & to the point. Looks like you work in the medical field.

Perhaps some 'crash' stuff can be added, like a pressure field dressing. My biggest worry when in the woods is a severe bleeding wound caused by axe/open fracture (although gauze+duct tape is a very good alternative...).
    Yeah I do carry a FFD too if using large cutting tools or with a group.

Ditto... I'm not to concerned about the Headaches and occasional splinter but the possible big-bleed situation.
    After all we do play with sharp-slicey things out in the middle of nowhere.

Good kit.

Hi, Interesting post, I think most people will be like me and just carry a standard first aid kit but after reading your post mines gonna be getting a few addictions.
    Cheers

compared to my lage tin full of plasters and painkillers thats a very comprehensive and impressive first aid kit. well done in covering most possibilites. how about sterile eye cleaning fluid?

They are both really well thought out. Some very good pointers there for people trying to put kits together.

Quote Originally Posted by TREETOP View Post
    .....a few addictions.
    Cheers
    Purely medicinal I trust?

Quote Originally Posted by grantdan View Post
    compared to my lage tin full of plasters and painkillers thats a very comprehensive and impressive first aid kit. well done in covering most possibilites. how about sterile eye cleaning fluid?
    For foreign bodies in the eye?
    I would just mix up some disinfected water and either use the irrigation syringe or add the solution to a zip lcok bag, pierce the corner with a needle then use that to direct the water into the eye.

Point Id like to mention in regard to the eye cleaning fluid. I had a night out bushcrafting a few weeks back, under a largish debris shelter with a tarp hung inside that as extra shelter, in the middle of the night my mate wakes up and goes to sit up, his boots were right by his head next to him and he cant see them in the dark. He ends up somehow putting his eye onto the corner of his boot tongue, right into the coloured part of his eye, woke up the next day with a weeping red itchy eye, total freak accident and one we wernt prepared for, lucky we was only out for one night. I meself once had a midge land on my eyeball while in isle of skye once, had to get a mate to just touch it off with his little finger. Eye stuff is a good idea to carry
    Last edited by Glydr; 10-04-2010 at 01:16.

you can get small eye wash vials online for 80p. there use once as they have a snap top and are not resealable. with all that you have it may be worth getting a few quids worth?

http://www.medisave.co.uk/sterile-wa...ual-p-964.html

thats what i mean

ooh, thanks for the sticky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bushblade View Post
    Hi all, recently took some pics of my personal first aid kit and thought I'd show them for those that are interested in such things

Its very small and lightweight, easily fitted in a pocket. I do have bigger kits but this one gets used most as its the one I end up carrying most.

The contents are based on my own personal experience of what I've needed to treat myself, Its not intended for treating others but does get used in that capacity if nothing else is available.

1 Mr Bump cohesive bandage.
    2 Flat, wide roll of metolius branded climbers finger tape (zinc oxide).
    3 Roll of Duck brand duct tape.
    4 Victorinox classic: scissors, blade, tweezers, tooth pick, nail file etc.
    with safety pin.
    5 Povidone iodine in dropper/application bottle.
    6 Friars' balsam (tincture of benzoin) in dropper/application bottle.
    7 10 tablets of ibuprofen 200mg
    8 10 tablets of paracetamol 500mg
    9 5 Caffeine/dextrose pills.
    10 zip lock bag containing; 4 savlon (cetrimide) wipes, 4 povidone iodine
    swabs, 6 ispropyl alcohol swabs.
    11 zip lock bag containg; 1 pack of 5 steri strips, 2 5cmx5xcm melolin pads,
    2 elestoplast cut to fit dressing strips, 3 waterproof elastoplasts, 1 large
    elastoplast dressing.
    12 Blister kit; 1 large strip of moleskin, 3 large compeed dressings, 2 medium
    compeed dressings.
    13 2 packs of 5 gauze swabs.
    14 4.5" by 7" Aloksak.
    That's a very good first aid kit, I like it a lot. It's tempting to put too much in them "just in case" but that is small and well rationalised. It's a good model. The only things I would add, would be a photon torch, a pair of nitrile gloves and an optional 4" bloodstopper or Israeli dressing for when using sharps/axes etc. Very nice kit.
    Last edited by Martyn; 12-04-2010 at 13:14.

Thanks Martyn, yeah I do carry a field dressing too when sharp tools are involved.
    Like you say I could just add..... but then it wouldn't be so easy to carry.

This one I can carry in my pack, be it day hike or over-nighter, then easily slip into a pocket when away from the pack, with a ffd if using cutting tools.

Gloucester - over the border in the lost lands now

If you are worried about bleeds then try this dressing - it does small and large wounds, burns and also has an extra roll of material for either pressure or packing large open wounds.

http://www.boundtree.co.uk/Scripts/p...?idproduct=934

I carry one in my pocket when I go out as a just in case.

I see you have doubled up on the Iodine might be a good idea to get one of those little eye wash sticks as a replacement ,the last thing you will want to do is start mixing up a solution and setting up your syringe with one or both eyes shut.

Also an FFD is a very versitile bit of kit and if its the later elasticated type even easier to put on yourself ,however you dont need to be using knifes and axes to end up having major bleeds ,open fractures from falls and tips will bleed and a sticky plaster wont do alot to stop this.

As you said this is your personal kit and each to there own,just some friendly advice

PS: having some "Friars' balsam (tincture of benzoin) in dropper/application bottle." is seriously hard core and the use of is now considered Barbaric in the military nowadays. so top marks !

I know when I have had it applied to my feet it was like dancing on the fires of hell !

Quote Originally Posted by IMOM View Post
    I see you have doubled up on the Iodine might be a good idea to get one of those little eye wash sticks as a replacement ,the last thing you will want to do is start mixing up a solution and setting up your syringe with one or both eyes shut.

Also an FFD is a very versitile bit of kit and if its the later elasticated type even easier to put on yourself ,however you dont need to be using knifes and axes to end up having major bleeds ,open fractures from falls and tips will bleed and a sticky plaster wont do alot to stop this.

As you said this is your personal kit and each to there own,just some friendly advice

PS: having some "Friars' balsam (tincture of benzoin) in dropper/application bottle." is seriously hard core and the use of is now considered Barbaric in the military nowadays. so top marks !

I know when I have had it applied to my feet it was like dancing on the fires of hell !
    Hi, thanks for that. Yes I do carry a ffd (new israeli type) too.
    The povidone is primarily for first aid, the tincture primarily for water purification. I usualy have a small bottle of saline anyway as I wear contact lenses.
    I don't use the friars' balsam for blisters, I'm not that hardcore I use it as a topical adhesive for dressings, as an antiseptic dressing on its own on minor cuts, for mouth ulcers and as a decongestant mixed with hot water and inhaled.

All the best

Will

Will,

What bottle do you use for storing your (contact lenses) saline in please? As I'm also visually challenged and have some difficulties finding a good bottle (that isn't to big ...)

Thanks!
    Johan

Vive sine paenitentia

Quote Originally Posted by Ahjno View Post
    Will,

What bottle do you use for storing your (contact lenses) saline in please? As I'm also visually challenged and have some difficulties finding a good bottle (that isn't to big ...)

Thanks!
    Hi, I just use a 60ml travel bottle of Amo complete. If you can't find them in the stores try asking your optician if they have any sample bottles they would kindly donate to your cause.

Small addition: I've spent a couple op weeks up in Scandinavia and managed to cut myself twice. One pretty deep cut and another that in the civilzed world would have earned at least two stitches. I managed to close both wounds with Steristrips; one is now 100% ok and second recovering well. So: bushcraft first aid topper Steristrips.

i would add a field dressing or a pressure bandage and burn cream. i personally cary 2 field dressings and a few bandages because im in Australia so field dressings and bandages are a must have. but still is a good kit personal kit.

Great stuff.

I it always diffuclt trying to things 'minimalist' - the constant struggle of size / appropriateness / functionality / cost ...

I think that is one of the best lightweight kit I've seen. If you take it to the other extreme - a Himalayan or Overland expedition where size is not so much of an issue, it is still vary easy to fill up on stuff that is not necessarily useful, appropriate or any good.

This is again compounded by having esoteric kit which the user may not fully understand how/when to use.

I'm not going to add anything to this kit because the temptation is always there to add stuff - which kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm used to taking a more substantial kit out and about while still keeping it trim but yours represents a great 'emergency' kit that can be kept tucked away until the proverbial hits it!

10/10 mate!

I've adapted my first aid kit from the advice on ARRSEpedia:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/First_Aid_Kit

I tend not to bother with little plasters as a piece of tissue or tape usually does the trick.

Its contents are:

Plaster Strip
    Antiseptic Cream with local anaesthetic (Germolene)
    Petroleum Jelly
    Ibuprofen
    Loperamide Hydrocholide Tablets (Generic Immodium)
    Antihistamine Tablets (not non-drowsy ones)
    Bites and sting cream (savlon brand)
    Antiseptic wipes
    Emergency Blanket
    Safety Pins
    Tweezers
    Scalpel & Blade
    Scissors
    A few large adhesive Dressings
    Cheap whistle

and a little laminated card with the contents on it (which I copied this off!)

I've also got a plce medics webbing pouch which comes with me in group situations or when axes etc are involved and is basically a much more standard kit packed full of bandages, ffd's and a few ice packs.
    Last edited by apj1974; 24-06-2010 at 23:45.

On another note:

Tincture of Benzoine (also called Compound Benzoin, "Tinc benz" or Friars Balsam) is very good stuff.

For those who don't know it is a brown sticky resin which has antiseptic properties. I'm not particulalry interetsed in the antisetic properties in a pre-hopsital setting; if it is that bad - god damn get to hospital!

But...it dries sticky which makes it great to paint around a wound before applying steri-strips. Steri-strips are great but on sweaty skin (hot, humid environments or physical exersion) the can lift and peel quite easily. Treating the skin with tinc benz provides much longer lasting cohesion.

(On another note - Transpore is my tape of choice. Micropore has become the norm, possibly because it is 'surgical' and therefore cool but it doesn't stick, falls apart and attracts s#it like a magnate. Transpore (also 3M and available from pharmacists or on-line) is like a plastic, perforated tape. Sticks better and can be torn - lengthways and widthways, a bit like dick tape - so 'steri-strips' can be made from it. Quick tip - if you like products which do more than one thing, Transpore is the way forward ;-) )

Tinc Benz can be bought at chemists quite easily as Tincture of Benzoin but usually in unwieldy 500ml bottles. Homoeopathy and aromatherapy types will try and sell you miniscule bottles at extortionate costs.

I have bought small bottles (25ml and 50ml bottles) in chemists under the name Friars Balsam. Exactlys ame stuff. I have just ordered some convenient individually wrapped Benzoin soaked swabs from the US for training purposes but have yet to find them in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by aus bushcrafter View Post
    i would add a field dressing or a pressure bandage and burn cream. i personally cary 2 field dressings and a few bandages because im in Australia so field dressings and bandages are a must have. but still is a good kit personal kit.
    Hi, yeah I do carry a FFD too, perhaps I should add that to the origional post for the number of people who have suggested it!

Quote Originally Posted by Genty View Post
    Great stuff.

I it always diffuclt trying to things 'minimalist' - the constant struggle of size / appropriateness / functionality / cost ...

I think that is one of the best lightweight kit I've seen. If you take it to the other extreme - a Himalayan or Overland expedition where size is not so much of an issue, it is still vary easy to fill up on stuff that is not necessarily useful, appropriate or any good.

This is again compounded by having esoteric kit which the user may not fully understand how/when to use.

I'm not going to add anything to this kit because the temptation is always there to add stuff - which kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm used to taking a more substantial kit out and about while still keeping it trim but yours represents a great 'emergency' kit that can be kept tucked away until the proverbial hits it!

10/10 mate!

Thanks for the kind words, your feedback is much appreciated

sorry about that mate you probably feel every body is trolling you about carrying a ffd. but you probably should have put it there in the first place. is it a British army issue one? i know you can get British issue ones and israeli ones in aus but i prefer the aus ones but the aus ones are hard to get and the British or israeli ones are about $40 (20 pounds)

No worries.
    No its an Israeli type with the pressure bar, I think I've put it a few times in replies. I do have other/larger kits for different situations and/or with groups this is just just my personal FAK but is also the one that gets most use as I'm most likely to have this one on my person. I tend just to re-stock this one form the other kits.

Given that some of us are getting older and maybe not in the best possible shape, can I recommend a couple of soluble aspirin?

If you suspect a heart attack, one of these under the tongue can significantly reduce the damage.

I keep a couple in my desk drawer too as the average age at work is creeping up...
    Andy

Shiny shiny...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast