What spices & condements?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Spirit of Fire mixed spices. You can get it in the supermarket in a small grinder and I grind plenty into a film canister. It contains dried chillies, sweet bell peppers, ginseng, peppadews, horseradish and black peppercorns

Adds a bit of bite. :shock:

I'm hungry...

Hellz

D

danzomekahiro

Schwartz American Barbecue Seasoning is excellent as both the base for a marinade, as an addition to soups and stews or just on grilled meat or fish. It has a very distinct, piquant sort of smoky flavour, with a hint of tomatoey-ness and combined with tabasco is excellent. It also goes well with citrus flavours. Yum!

:-D

Danzo

leon-1

I carry just about everything in Nalgene containers (stems from days as a keen climber), spices, you have another vote for Cajun spice, chilli powder, black pepper, sea salt, and powdered garlic for when I can't get the real thing. Thyme and Oregano are good if you can get your hands on fresh meats. They all sit in with my cook kit.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Not quite seasoning, but at least something to add to food! I rarely go without a small piece of Parmassan cheese. I take a small grater (IKEA in packs of 3) and add the cheese to pastas, stews etc. I also found a very small pepper grinder as I love freshly ground pepper on things. :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I use apart from salt, pepper, sugar (cubes), this:

aromat.jpg

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
My favorite and kept in a film pot is 'Marigold' Swiss vegetable bouillon powder. It makes soup and adds flavour to the pot and is good sprinkled on bread and butter.
Swyn.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I use simple stuff, salt, pepper, oxo and tabaco. I have some cayenne that I may mix in aswell.

I didn't realise that Maggi was available in UK, my missus uses it in her fantastic grun kohl (stewed cabbage with boiled spuds and spicy german sausages,mmmmmmm!) so it is good to know she can get it when we move back this year coming.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
sargey said:
film canisters!

though truth be known i just rob sachets of salt, pepper, sugar and coffee from every cafe, restaurant or hotel i visit :oops: only one or two at a time obviously...

cheers, and.

Have a mate who works for maccas ;) i hear ya lol

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
swyn said:
My favorite and kept in a film pot is 'Marigold' Swiss vegetable bouillon powder. It makes soup and adds flavour to the pot and is good sprinkled on bread and butter.
Swyn.

I carry this too :D It's good stuff.
I also carry a little tub with a mixture of spice seeds in it. They're pretty easy to pickout and just crush up as and when needed (knife butt and a stone works fine) My mixture holds mustard seeds, peppercorns( I like the pink ones), celery seed, fennel, cardamom, coriander, love in a mist, sweet cicely, cumin and a nutmeg. A little bit of dried ginger, cinnamon stick, and vanilla pod go in too. I had expected the tastes to be all muddled but it works surprisingly well; it's as though it needs heat to really release the flavours.

Cheers,
Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Yes, the Marigold is great stuff. We use it in the house all the time and |I wouldn't leave home without it. With hot water it also makes a passable savoury drink. :)

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
Ahjno said:
I use apart from salt, pepper, sugar (cubes), this:

aromat.jpg

You can get the Knorr aromat at tescos, 90g in a stong metal container. Excellent with meat, fish or veg, either during cooking or afterwards as a seasoning.
Along with that I usually carry stock cubes, chilli powder and good old fashioned English Mustard powder (though colmans now do a squeezy tube of the stuff). I carry them in plastic screw cap sample pots. Also a good quantity of salt n pepper 70/30 mix.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i carry salt, pepper, mixed herbs, chilli flakes, garam masala, worcester sauce, garlic paste, tomato paste, and beef, chicken, ham, and veg stock cubes.
it all fits into one of the small "really useful box company" boxes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE